Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/26/2020 2:10:34 PM EDT
I have a brand new BA 11.5" barrel that I attempted to dimple using a SLR jig. It looks like I didnt have the set screw centered in the gas port and/or overtightened and displaced some material into the gas port. I emailed BA and they said the barrel is fine as long as the rifling is still good. Maybe I didnt explain the issue well. Im thinking I may run into gas issues.

What are my options? Should I run a #50 (0.70") bit through it while its unassembled? Or build it up and see if i have issues? I do plan to run this suppressed too.

Link Posted: 6/26/2020 2:30:05 PM EDT
[#1]
5.56 I assume? You'll be fine.  They are way overgassed to begin with. You won't have issues.

And I think you mean 0.070".

I assume you didn't drill the dimple so far off that your gas block won't be aligned properly though, right? I'm assuming that still lines up okay. The gas block holes are usually quite a bit bigger than the gas port itself so it doesn't have to be perfect typically.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 2:43:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
5.56 I assume? You'll be fine.  They are way overgassed to begin with. You won't have issues.

And I think you mean 0.070".

I assume you didn't drill the dimple so far off that your gas block won't be aligned properly though, right? I'm assuming that still lines up okay. The gas block holes are usually quite a bit bigger than the gas port itself so it doesn't have to be perfect typically.
View Quote

Yes, 5.56 and I meant 0.070" I have not dimpled the barrel yet. I stopped after the oops.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 2:45:31 PM EDT
[#3]
if you tighten it down in the proper spot and dimple, I'd say you'd be fine.  Might even push some of the material back out of the way.

Different manufacturers have different gas port holes, yet they all work.  I wouldn't sweat it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 2:52:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Id be willing to bet that runs fine. Especially suppressed.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 8:57:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I would run it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 6:53:33 AM EDT
[#6]
IF you are worried about it use a bigger drill bit to chamfer the hole.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 8:29:53 PM EDT
[#7]
If you are really worried, run an adjustable gas block.
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 3:10:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks like it may be an improvement!  BA barrels are overgassed
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top