Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2019 12:41:50 AM EDT
55 or 62 grains, in terms of accuracy and performance ( fragmentation etc)?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 1:08:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Run away.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 2:37:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Bought a bunch a long time ago for $57/1000 IIRC.   Would not buy again even at that price.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 2:45:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I was wondering the same thing. Good to know...
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 4:43:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Interesting, I've shot a ton of their .223 stuff. Never tried to group with it, just plinking, but it never had any trouble ringing 12" steel plates at 100 yards. I can't speak to it's frangibility or MOA accuracy, but I've never had a malfunction or FTF with it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 9:24:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Interesting, I've shot a ton of their .223 stuff. Never tried to group with it, just plinking, but it never had any trouble ringing 12" steel plates at 100 yards. I can't speak to it's frangibility or MOA accuracy, but I've never had a malfunction or FTF with it.
View Quote
This. For plinking they're good enough.

I think that's what RMRs old ones were. The jacket etc. We're good. But when you got to the base/lead they were inconsistent.

I'd go with Hornady or the RMR pulled M193s if you're looking for more than blasting ammo.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 10:19:28 AM EDT
[#6]
So basically you guys are saying they are Shit.

So in other words, for cheap reloads, I'm better off  using pulled bullets; like now?
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 11:25:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

So in other words, for cheap reloads, I'm better off  using pulled bullets; like now?
View Quote
They will go bang, if that's what you shoot for.

I like to hit what I'm shooting at. Lots of crap bullets out there. Same for the big name bulk bullets, win, rem
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 11:40:41 AM EDT
[#8]
I loaded some 62gr armscor. 25.8gr of Reloder 15, at 2.260" COAL, Federal 205M primers and mixed brass gave me a best 5 shot group of 1.35 MOA and an average MV of 2835fps out of a 16" Larue barrel. Most groups were 1.5-1.8 MOA.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 11:48:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Essentially it sound like they serve purpose for loading machine gun shoot and blasting fun ammo

Need them for "purpose",, buy better grade bullet
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 1:14:51 PM EDT
[#10]
The only cheap bullets that ever shot well for most everyone is Hornady's 55 grain fmj and their 55 grain SP.

Purchased in volume (6,000 bullet box) they are very inexpensive. Usually $420.00 to $450.00 +/-. That's under $80.00 per thousand.

I have been so disappointed with surplus FMJ's that I refuse to even consider them no matter how cheap they are.

Quality bullets are the greatest factor in shooting small groups. Even rack grade barrels will flirt with 1 moa shooting Sierra's Match King's.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 1:39:11 PM EDT
[#11]
You can usually find the Hornadys in the $70/1000 range and as stated above, they are excellent.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 2:09:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hornady would be the best bet, but pulls are better than Armscor.

For some reason their 45acp 230s are great. At least out of my 1911.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 2:58:28 PM EDT
[#13]
The best of the bulk bullets in 22 come from Hornady or IMI.  All else is crap, some crappier than others!
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 4:05:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Out to 100 yds, I cannot tell the difference accuracy wise between the Armscor 62 and Hornady bulk 55.  Exact same charge and OAL.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 4:42:45 PM EDT
[#15]
If you simply need a cheap projectile to get down the bore then go for it.

However, after measuring the base to ogive length of mine they were all over the place. The groups were nothing to write home about either, and that's after load development.

The Hornady 55 and 62gr are cheap and accurate enough for what I consider practice/training ammo.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 6:27:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
All else is crap, some crappier than others!
View Quote
Same story over the past 14-15yr here that I recall,,  WIN & RP FMJ only good for blasting on the cheap
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 10:24:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I loaded some 62gr armscor. 25.8gr of Reloder 15, at 2.260" COAL, Federal 205M primers and mixed brass gave me a best 5 shot group of 1.35 MOA and an average MV of 2835fps out of a 16" Larue barrel. Most groups were 1.5-1.8 MOA.
View Quote
That's not too bad.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 11:58:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 12:29:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The only cheap bullets that ever shot well for most everyone is Hornady's 55 grain fmj and their 55 grain SP.

Purchased in volume (6,000 bullet box) they are very inexpensive. Usually $420.00 to $450.00 +/-. That's under $80.00 per thousand.

I have been so disappointed with surplus FMJ's that I refuse to even consider them no matter how cheap they are.

Quality bullets are the greatest factor in shooting small groups. Even rack grade barrels will flirt with 1 moa shooting Sierra's Match King's.
View Quote
It's almost hard to believe the prices on Hornadys bulk bullets, esp. as good as they shoot, I hope Hornady keeps pumping em out@ that price.

I got bags of crap bulk bullets in my reloading room that have no use, I think I could shoot better groups with a slingshot with these 'Junker bullets'.

I wouldn't buy them for 1/4 of the price, even worse I don't think you could give them to me, serious. If you like to blast away, then you just use Russian.

Guys claiming to shoot good groups with them, you must spend hours sorting? The Bases are crap, weights all over, outside dia. all different, lengths all different.

More power to ya!
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 12:34:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Out to 100 yds, I cannot tell the difference accuracy wise between the Armscor 62 and Hornady bulk 55.  Exact same charge and OAL.
View Quote
Shooting offhand I could see? No way off the bench? AMIRIGHT?
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 5:34:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Bought a bunch a long time ago for $57/1000 IIRC.   Would not buy again even at that price.
View Quote
Yup I bought 4k of them about 10 years ago. Found the last 500 I had stashed and loaded them up for use at the 25 yard indoor range. Short range blasting is about all they are good for.

Even at that short distance you can tell Hornady 55gr are much better. The Wolf 55 gr bullets I bought gave surprisingly good accuracy, they are my go to for cheap bullets these days.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 10:04:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yup I bought 4k of them about 10 years ago. Found the last 500 I had stashed and loaded them up for use at the 25 yard indoor range. Short range blasting is about all they are good for.

Even at that short distance you can tell Hornady 55gr are much better. The Wolf 55 gr bullets I bought gave surprisingly good accuracy, they are my go to for cheap bullets these days.
View Quote
I guess I could explain a little better.   This is what I remember.

Cannelures all over the place
Found a couple with no cannelure at all
"Chunks", or half bullets or others with large pieces missing.
Just real inconsistent in general.
Even with the culled bullets I don't think I was near the 4K that was supposed to be in the box.
I never checked anything like length, weight, or roundness and would be afraid of what I found.
To be fair, all the ones I did load went bang and left the gun but I used them for 50yds and in.
Of course this was awhile ago and their QC could have changed.
It's just not worth it to me with the Hornadys being so cheap and such good performers.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 9:55:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My experience with Armscore bullets is that they shoot patterns.

Hornady bullets shoot groups.

I never made the mistake of buying them again.
View Quote
Does Hornady make 62 grain FMJ bullets or just 55?
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 12:03:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 10:28:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Does Hornady make 62 grain FMJ bullets or just 55?
View Quote
Yep, & 62sp's and 62hp's, batches to different distributors sometimes.

Some are not even on Hornadys website, but are special made for places like Midsouth, Grafs, etc.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 2:26:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Even with the culled bullets I don't think I was near the 4K that was supposed to be in the box.
I never checked anything like length, weight, or roundness and would be afraid of what I found.
To be fair, all the ones I did load went bang and left the gun but I used them for 50yds and in.
It's just not worth it to me with the Hornadys being so cheap and such good performers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I totally agree. Mine were the 62 gr ones and I also found them to be very inconsistent.

I don't recall finding any with chunks missing or any half bullets, but definitely had cannelures and lengths all over the place.

I just loaded the last of them and shot them up last year, saved them for blasting at the indoor range.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 7:19:42 PM EDT
[#27]
the  62 gr. midsouth are made by hornady and are the best I have reloaded.
If you could find out whose bullets are  used in norma tac223 then they are the best factory bullets I have shot. I can hit a 8" gong at 500 yards all
day with those.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 9:06:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
the  62 gr. midsouth are made by hornady and are the best I have reloaded.
If you could find out whose bullets are  used in norma tac223 then they are the best factory bullets I have shot. I can hit a 8" gong at 500 yards all
day with those.
View Quote
Norma probably makes them
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top