BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 10/13/2018 3:14:21 PM EDT
Fascinating:

Making legendary Service khukuri/Kukri of British Gurkhas- KHHI nepal
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 11:45:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Yup, they're hand forged from leaf springs.

I think you can still get KHHI knives from Amazon...
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 11:49:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Literal toe clamps.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 11:59:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I recently received one from IMA.  LINK Supposedly 100 years old.  I ordered the sheath, but it was dry rotted so I tossed it.  The blade was covered in disgusting grease.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 6:02:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yup, they're hand forged from leaf springs.

I think you can still get KHHI knives from Amazon...
View Quote
I did not know leaf-spring steel was used.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 9:47:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Now I want one, kind of fascinating how they make them with just the bare basics, no advanced heat treat station or grinding tools, just hammers, some water, and about $100 in power tools.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 10:13:44 PM EDT
[#6]
OSHA would lose their shit.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 10:45:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I did not know leaf-spring steel was used.  Thanks!
View Quote
They might source different steel now but yeah, a lot of them were just made from good spring steel off trucks.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 5:13:07 PM EDT
[#8]
They start in their Grandpa's shop as a gopher when they're about six.  At 12, they start to hammer, working the coal fire, learning how to make simple farm tools. At 20, he can start up the shop and make lots of tools.  At thirty, he's still just an intermediate.  When they get to be around forty, they takeover their Dad's shop and become the Master Kami themselves.

Still considered an "Untouchable", but a Master Blacksmith.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 6:05:12 PM EDT
[#9]
There were a lot of dirty bare feet touching those knives.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 6:07:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
They start in their Grandpa's shop as a gopher when they're about six.  At 12, they start to hammer, working the coal fire, learning how to make simple farm tools. At 20, he can start up the shop and make lots of tools.  At thirty, he's still just an intermediate.  When they get to be around forty, they takeover their Dad's shop and become the Master Kami themselves.

Still considered an "Untouchable", but a Master Blacksmith.
View Quote
They're Dalits?
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 11:16:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Bump for Kukri question.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top