Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2021 11:00:10 AM EDT
Yes, I know a simple question but it seems the method I am using now is not optimal. I keep them in their original boxes so I know what they are and put them on a shelf that you can buy at any home retailer that has the particleboard shelves on them that are maybe half-inch to three-quarter inch thick. I am not a carpenter so please don’t tell me to build my own shelf :-). It has a metal frame, you can see them at Home Depot or wherever it’s generally used in garages at homes.

The shelves seem to be bowing.  without getting into too much detail, I have the weight distributed as well as I can however it seems like the weight is too much for the shelf. I guess the weight adds up but it’s not like I have tens of thousands sitting on the shelf.

I’m thinking of putting them in used kitty litter containers but not sure if they’re going to be strong enough either so looking for an inexpensive easy way to store my bullets. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:12:35 AM EDT
[#1]
If I had ammo, I would store it like the army stores it, packed in cardboard boxes with dessicant to control the humidity in an ammo can..  Store it in a cool, dry place and it will last forever.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:27:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:50:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 12:07:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Sometimes the obvious escapes me, my apologies. Yeah ammo cans stacked up will work nicely. On the concrete by my bench.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 12:37:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Assuming we are talking about unloaded projectiles.

Most of my bullets are cast or pulls so I often store them in empty and cleaned mayo or Peanutbutter jars.

I store those in milk crates stacked 2 high on harbor freight moving dollies.  These are able to roll in and out under my bench for easier access.

** I only started doing this a couple weeks ago, so I don't know if there are long term problems with the crates or the dollies.

But yes, loaded ammo is stored in ammo cans.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 12:50:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I’m talking strictly projectiles not loaded ammo.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 12:58:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’m talking strictly projectiles not loaded ammo.
View Quote

Loose projectiles in 50 cal cans gets insanely heavy.  It's just too much lead per square inch.  I'd prefer 30 caliber cans.  But it also depends on if you want to leave them in the boxes.  My experience is often that these boxes dont fit well in either, so that limits the number of projectiles per can naturally.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 1:18:27 PM EDT
[#8]
A 6k box of 55gr will fit in a 30cal.

I leave my 500ct SMKs in their factory box. When the 100ct I keep on the bench runs out I refill it, same with a 55gr box from the can.

Oddballs stay in their original. Midway's "seconds" come in pretty plain boxes, so I sharpie the side of them.

I'd guess 1500-2k 175gr would fill a 30cal.

Berry's 55gr can *just* fit 1k in the 500 box, but it's not happy about it. I dump them into a can.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 1:20:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah I would probably go with 30 caliber and take them out of the boxes but make sure they are labeled as appropriate makes no sense to keep them in the boxes they’re really not doing anything
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 1:31:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yeah I would probably go with 30 caliber and take them out of the boxes but make sure they are labeled as appropriate makes no sense to keep them in the boxes they’re really not doing anything
View Quote

If I intend to at least be able to resell down the road, I keep things in boxes.  If I intend to consume them in the near future, loose and cut a section of the box label and toss it inside.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 1:59:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I like looking at mine.  I put a sticky note in the tray with the the weight and who made it.  I add more trays as needed.

Link Posted: 1/11/2021 2:19:48 PM EDT
[#12]
In the boxes they came in. They're usually in heavy Guage bags and marked labeled too.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 2:32:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Pull the plywood off your shelf and replace with dimensional lumber.. I keep mine stacked up in metal automotive cabinets, have had no issues with the cabinets holding the weight, but the big earthquake we had a few years ago took a couple of cabinets off the wall, no damage, just a big mess..........

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 3:15:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 3:45:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
In the boxes they came in. They're usually in heavy Guage bags and marked labeled too.
View Quote

This + I write what it is in Sharpie on the side of the box then stack them in basement as they arrive.
I'm going through my stash now and finding a BUNCH of stuff I forgot about.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 5:24:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I mostly use peanut butter jars.  Big enough to hold a decent quantity but small enough where they don't get to heavy.

My own cast bullets are mostly in coffee cans under my reloading bench so I can grab a handful as they are needed while reloading.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 8:19:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I use .30 cal cans, on a storage shelf from Costco that can handle 2000 lbs per shelf. You can fit 2k 9mm in those in bags, which is still manageable weight. A similar shelf is available at HD or Lowe’s. Costco has them on sale now for $130. I have bullets on the bottom, then brass on two shelves, and my tumbler and a few other things on the top.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 10:09:45 PM EDT
[#18]
in original boxes, ordered by caliber
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:43:06 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't have a photo of it but I have the Husky Shelves from Home Depot with the metal grating for shelves.  Its pretty humid most of the year where I live and I have found the shelves with the composite boards start to sag after about a year.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 7:05:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
in original boxes, ordered by caliber
View Quote

This.

I keep the small 100 or 250 round packs in a cabinet in their original boxes.  The bulk packs live on the 3/4" wood shelf under my reloading bench.  We moved last year and I started putting all those little boxes of bullets into a larger box until I realized no box could support it and I'd never be able to move them.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 7:18:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Take the shelves down and turn them over until you can do a permanent fix.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 7:25:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Sometimes the obvious escapes me, my apologies. Yeah ammo cans stacked up will work nicely. On the concrete by my bench.
View Quote

I would not store ammo cans on concrete. The bottoms may rust. At least put a piece of plywood underneath.
I store my reloading components on a shelf. Smallest to the largest caliber. Then pistol. Makes it easier for me. But, I reload everything from 17 Remington to 300 Magnum.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:07:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Oh yeah I get you, no metal on concrete for sure.

The issue that I’m having is with the bowing of the shelves. I just need to get all of that heavy weight off of them.  I will remove all of the bullets from the shelf and turn it over to reverse the bow so to speak.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:45:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Oh yeah I get you, no metal on concrete for sure.

The issue that I’m having is with the bowing of the shelves. I just need to get all of that heavy weight off of them.  I will remove all of the bullets from the shelf and turn it over to reverse the bow so to speak.
View Quote

Can you rearrange things so the heavy stuff is towards the outer part of the shelf and store something light in the middle?
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 2:14:37 PM EDT
[#25]
I have actually done that but bags of 1000 or 500 bullets at a time can only be spread out so much :-). Even the edges are starting to bow :-)
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 7:25:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Yes, I know a simple question but it seems the method I am using now is not optimal. I keep them in their original boxes so I know what they are and put them on a shelf that you can buy at any home retailer that has the particleboard shelves on them that are maybe half-inch to three-quarter inch thick. I am not a carpenter so please don’t tell me to build my own shelf :-). It has a metal frame, you can see them at Home Depot or wherever it’s generally used in garages at homes.

The shelves seem to be bowing.  without getting into too much detail, I have the weight distributed as well as I can however it seems like the weight is too much for the shelf. I guess the weight adds up but it’s not like I have tens of thousands sitting on the shelf.

I’m thinking of putting them in used kitty litter containers but not sure if they’re going to be strong enough either so looking for an inexpensive easy way to store my bullets. Thoughts?
View Quote

I think you are talking about these shelves:

It should be a criminal offense to sell those with the particle board shelves.

I have the same racks, and I had the same issue with the particle board bowing/sagging.

I know you said you weren’t a carpenter.

But you could just take one of your less bowed particle board shelves with you to a Home Depot or a Lowes.

They will help you get a full sheet of real 3/4” thick plywood to their panel saw.  Then they should easily cut out plywood rectangles that are identical dimension-wise to the iriginal particle board shelves.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 8:05:55 AM EDT
[#27]
That’s not a bad idea I will do that actually.
Have them make a few shelves is a great idea!
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:43:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Kinda thinking plywood may be the same price or even more than this: https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/plano-utility-ventilated-5-shelf-storage-unit

Not vouching for it's quality, I think it may be a new product, but it certainly shouldn't sag like pressboard junk as long as it's not overloaded.

IMO 150lbs per shelf isn't a ton when talking bullets, since bulk boxes are often 70lbs each, but if you spread what you have out on the various shelves maybe that would do you?
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:05:40 PM EDT
[#29]
I use these - economical in both size and cost & made in the USA:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Food-Storage-Container-1-Gal-Plastic-Set-of-1/16408650

They can get heavy when filled with projectiles, so I use the gallon size for my "deep stacking" and the half gallons for use on the bench.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:12:20 PM EDT
[#30]
You all are full of great ideas! I did get that three-quarter inch plywood cut down btw
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 6:14:45 PM EDT
[#31]
50 Cal Ammo Cans.  Can stack them and they last a lifetime.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top