Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2021 7:47:25 AM EDT
I recently got this Hornady Projector from my Uncle.  It sat in a box for years and needed some TLC.  I cleaned, lubed and set it up for 9mm to test.

Works fine, and is "quirky" compared to my 650, but does load ammo.

Not sure what to do with it.  Sell it to a new reloader in need? There is one on Ebay I am waiting to see what it goes for.  I know Hornady used to offer a trade in for a LNL, not sure if that is still available with the current component situation going on.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/6/2021 10:05:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I would call hornady and see if they have any options. I had one years ago and it was really frustrating particularly for priming and ejection. Also the powder measure has changed alot IIRC.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 1:30:28 PM EDT
[#2]
At one time Hornady tool my old projector and $200 and gave me a AP lock load model

the Projector has issues with priming

Call them. I think the wand to get the projectors off the market
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 1:30:41 PM EDT
[#3]
double post
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 2:04:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I  would call hornady, they have always been very helpfull even during the pandemic.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 8:40:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I have had mine since early 80’s. Would not give it up. No problems. Would like to find another
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 9:16:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Talked to Hornady. $350 for the trade in and $20 for shell plate trades.

Not sure what to do.  I did tune the Pro Jector in pretty good, primers  and indexing are working well.

I also have the 3 other plates for 357, 223 and 30-06 etc. (1, 6, 8 and 16)
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:39:51 PM EDT
[#7]
$20 for a shell plate is a good deal, look at what the gougers are asking
Buy the plates for the calibers you load
I would have a hard time going back to a single stage for just about anything
I don’t think hornady supports the older one.....no parts
Get the trade in
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 12:32:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Not sure what to do.  I did tune the Pro Jector in pretty good, primers  and indexing are working well.

View Quote

I would take the deal.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 11:51:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd take that deal.

The Hornady LNL AP isn't a bad press at all.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 3:21:36 PM EDT
[#10]
A new LNL is $530 on Optics Planet. If Hornady gives you $350 credit, how much is the LNL AP going to be to you?

Since you already have a 650, do you really want/need it?

You could get a new LNL and turn it for a profit depending on the out-of-pocket cost. You will need to determine if its worth your time & effort or not. Might just sell what you have and let someone else do the return if they want.

Hornady was good when I returned a case processing center for repair. I paid shipping one way and they paid the other way. I had bought it used and needed it realigned. They did a good job and didn't charge me anything... all included under their warrant policy.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 11:06:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I figure it's a $200 savings toward a LNL.  

The one on eBay that had a rusted up powder measure, out of adjustment indexing cams and no.1 plate went for $255 plus $40 shipping.

I wasn't thinking of trying to sell it for $500 with the 4 plates and Lee dies for 9mm and 357.

it works well other than not having a case activated powder drop.

Link Posted: 5/9/2021 8:31:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I did the trade in program, it was cheaper then but I think it is still a good deal.  Sets you up with their most current components and parts.  I still have a half dozen of the old style shell plates that I need to trade in, but I don’t know what calibers I want to get... pretty well set on the bulk calibers I plan to do already.  Maybe I should trade them all in on common calibers, then sell off the ones I get back...

As for the LNL AP, add a roller handle and a LED light setup, and it makes good ammo at a reasonable pace.  You won’t be unhappy if going from a single stage.

Edit- oops, you already have a 650.  Well then I think an LNL AP is better for resale than a Projector as well, but if you plan to use it as a second press I would for sure upgrade to the LNL.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 12:20:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is the replacement press coming from them?  Might be a decent deal.  LnL is "quirky" for sure, but not awful.  Case feeder is the biggest issue if you ever take it full progressive.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 1:16:32 PM EDT
[#14]
look up the  Hornady tricks and tips here on AFRCOM
You will need a steel washer  under the primer punch for sure.

I super glued mine down to the frame
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 7:03:51 AM EDT
[#15]
I think I'm going to keep for a bit and set it up for 357.  I can load faster than my single stage and I don't need 650 speed for revolver rounds.

It does work well when it is tuned in correctly.  I can see how people have issues with them as they seem to need some extra fine tuning compared to a Dillion and you have to go slower and pay more attention.

Link Posted: 5/14/2021 12:15:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I think I'm going to keep for a bit and set it up for 357.  I can load faster than my single stage and I don't need 650 speed for revolver rounds.

It does work well when it is tuned in correctly.  I can see how people have issues with them as they seem to need some extra fine tuning compared to a Dillion and you have to go slower and pay more attention.

View Quote

That is the right approach.   I had two Projectors, sent one back for the LNL with that upgrade program.  The LNL is a light year better than the Projector.  A bit of machine work on the priming system to tighten up clearances, and the priming system has NEVER failed.  Can't say that about the projector.

You have the stick actuated powder hopper - I got rid of mine and hand ran the powder measure until I got the case actuated powder dispenser.  If you get the priming system set up right and don't change from LP to SP a lot, it should stay in reliable shape.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 6:47:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 4:40:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Buy the LNP primer pocket swage kits and dedicate the press to swaging large and small primer pockets. And you'll still have a viable press if you need to convert it back to loading for some reason.
View Quote
that has my attention.....
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 6:14:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 6:35:04 PM EDT
[#20]
I had  2 of those in operation at one time.(plus 3 Rockchuckers)As stated,the priming system was finicky.I worked on mine a number of times and finally got it to be ALMOST 100% reliable.
I used the Lee auto disc powder measures and they worked very well.I loaded MANY thousands of rounds on them,mostly .45 ACP,.223 and .38/.357.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 9:39:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top