Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2018 8:06:19 PM EDT
Hey all,

I have s Dillon 650 for reloading and a Dillon Super Swager, But even with the super swager, swaging thousands of 5.56 LC brass is a time consuming task...

I recently saw a video of the Hornady LNL AP press with the Hornady Swaging kit..

This methoid looks miles faster/easier than using the Dillon Super Swager..

I was offered a Hornady Pro-Jector press only from a friend for $100, the swaging kit is $89.99, So for $189.99, I'd have a dedicated Swager where I can processs LC brass quickly..

My question is, Can anyone verify that the swaging kit will fit on the Pro-Jector press? I wrote to Hornady and the said all their shell plates are backward compatible..  However when I googled it, I found alot of threads that said most LNL stuff isn't backward compatible..  So I'm hoping someone can confirm for me if it will work or not?

Also, is $100 a good price for a Pro Jector press?  Keep in mind, I am only looking to make it into a dedicated swaging machine..

Please save me the "Just buy a Dillon 1050" or the likes Comments.

-Masta

eta, I don't want to see any off topic posts either, this is a Hornady thread. dryflash3
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 1:36:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Why not buy the Swage-It kit for your 650?

The Pro-Jector is different enough from the AP I seriously doubt the kit will work.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 8:20:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The Pro-Jector is different enough from the AP I seriously doubt the kit will work.
View Quote
Do you have one? Would you recommend it?

I just thought the LNL swage kit sounded like it could make an awesome dedicated swaging machine.

Thanks,

-Masta
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 6:13:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 8:17:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank You for your input/info..

Quoted:
The problem with swaging using a tooling that has a suport bar on the inside of the case to back it up, is that if you change brass and the web thickness changes between the two different types of brass, you need to re-adjust the tool to allow the device to swage correctly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The problem with swaging using a tooling that has a suport bar on the inside of the case to back it up, is that if you change brass and the web thickness changes between the two different types of brass, you need to re-adjust the tool to allow the device to swage correctly.
This is a non issue for me as I only reload LC 5.56 brass.  Even if an adjustment was needed with the Hornady swaging kit, it’s a simple/quick adjustment on the die.

Quoted:
So granted that I'm not a fan of the swage kits on the 650 since it voids the warranty, and does not taper the primer pocket entry as wide as I would like for very clean primer feeds at priming, it does a good job of swaging out the inside of the primer pocket without have to re-adjust the tooling for different webbing thickness instead.
The Dillon voided warrenty thing is a big hype of “so what”, the ONLY thing that Dillon may not warrenty, is the frame itself and/or the shell plate, neither of which I have ever seen fail..   IF by some chance the shell plate failed, they are cheap, so what..   IF by some chance all the planets in the solar system aligned at the very same second and the frame breaks, I’ll have to accept the consequences and pay the like $75 for a new frame.   All other parts will still have their factory Lifetime warrenty..

Quoted:
As for picking up a Hornady to swage primer pocket only, would be just as fast to use a Dillon super swager, plus smaller foot print/less hassles as well.  Hence that fact that if you do have problems, Dillon will send you replacement parts for free, while on a out of production Hornady press, no parts are available for it to start with instead.
I can guarentee it’d be quite a bit faster using the hornady or the Dillon press than the Dillon Super Swage.

Do you know for a fact that they don’t have/make partsfor the Pro-Jector press?   What parts would even break on a dedicate swager?  I can’t think of any?

I may just wait and look for a used LNL AP.  I see them pop up from time to time..

I may just try the Swage It...   I’d rather have a dedicate solution for swaging, But the Swage It mat be the best comprimise..

-Masta
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 8:35:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I just thought the LNL swage kit sounded like it could make an awesome dedicated swaging machine.

Thanks,

-Masta
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,

-Masta
I have had a Hornady AP press for 6 years. I like it but don't love it. I have gotten it to run really well but the priming system is not great. Wolf primers I had no issues but CCI 41s I had a problem with 1 in 10. This led me to buy a Dillon 650.

I bought the Dillon used. It is almost like new. I cleaned lubed and set it up from scratch. Tonight I just loaded my first rounds on it. So far it is a keeper. I ordered the Swage-It setup and it came in today's mail.

Once I am done loading all my prepped brass I will setup another tool head for sizing, and trimming. I will be using the Swage-It then. This could be as soon as tomorrow. if not it will be next weekend. I can give you an honest report after I use it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 8:56:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I have had a Hornady AP press for 6 years. I like it but don't love it. I have gotten it to run really well but the priming system is not great. Wolf primers I had no issues but CCI 41s I had a problem with 1 in 10. This led me to buy a Dillon 650.

I bought the Dillon used. It is almost like new. I cleaned lubed and set it up from scratch. Tonight I just loaded my first rounds on it. So far it is a keeper. I ordered the Swage-It setup and it came in today's mail.

Once I am done loading all my prepped brass I will setup another tool head for sizing, and trimming. I will be using the Swage-It then. This could be as soon as tomorrow. if not it will be next weekend. I can give you an honest report after I use it.
View Quote
I’d apperciate that and look forward to seeing your review!

On another note, are you going to be selling your LNL AP?  The priming system makes no difference for my use of the press..

Thanks,

-Masta
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 9:14:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Since it will be a dedicated swaging press you don't need to care about the lock n load part, or the old priming setup, or if it can handle a case feeder.. none of it.   All it has to do is go up and down and index
properly.

As far the newer LnL AP's  priming system, it works great if you can actually find the time to do a little polishing and reaming/beveling.  But it's alot easier to complain on a message board than actually smooth a corner radius out.   Fill the priming system full of powder and run cheap primers and it will have problems without some modification.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 9:24:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 10:28:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just a FYI, but when Dillion voids the warranty on a machine, its the entire machine and it's parts that the warranty is voided on.

The swage type kits do leave tell tail marks on the 650 presses, so don't think that your going to sneak such use in under the radar with Dillon instead.
View Quote
Always an expert in every crowd..
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 11:10:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 12:30:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Since it will be a dedicated swaging press you don't need to care about the lock n load part, or the old priming setup, or if it can handle a case feeder.. none of it.   All it has to do is go up and down and index
properly.

As far the newer LnL AP's  priming system, it works great if you can actually find the time to do a little polishing and reaming/beveling.  But it's alot easier to complain on a message board than actually smooth a corner radius out.   Fill the priming system full of powder and run cheap primers and it will have problems without some modification.
View Quote
I polished, used 1200 grit paper, beveled, chamfered, waded and every tip 8 could find 8 did. The priming system is inferior as far as seating goes to the Dillon.

I want to like the Hornady because it is way cheaper especially for caliber converting.

My issue with priming is the case does not always line up perfect with the punch. I am not talking about rotating to the correct spot but rather the shell does not go fully into the plate. This happens about 50% of the time. Sometime the primer seats hard, others the primer gets damaged and stuck. This issue did not happen once on the Dillon.

If you use brand new brass this may solve the issue because the rim is perfect. Used brass is not always perfect. I have had brass not go in the Hornady shell plate that visually looks good. They go right in the Dillon shell plate. I have thought about milling a few thousandths off the Hornady plate.

The Dillon isn’t perfect either but solves my issues so I am converting. Just will suck up the extra costs for calibers.

I will be listing the press eventually.  Now that I see how well the Dillon does I am going to try a mod on the Hornady.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 12:40:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just a FYI, but when Dillion voids the warranty on a machine, its the entire machine and it's parts that the warranty is voided on.

The swage type kits do leave tell tail marks on the 650 presses, so don't think that your going to sneak such use in under the radar with Dillon instead.
Since I work there, I can tell you that he is exactly correct on all counts. And a new 650 frame is way more than $75. If you like paying for each and every part, by all means, go with the Swage-It.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 12:59:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Since I work there, I can tell you that he is exactly correct on all counts. And a new 650 frame is way more than $75. If you like paying for each and every part, by all means, go with the Swage-It.
View Quote
If I broke the frame I would be surprised. I can see there is some force on the shell plate when swaging but not a whole more than priming.

I am not worried about the Swage-it, it will not be an issue.

Nobody makes a perfect press. They all have issues.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 8:59:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
In a Consumer Alert issued by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the agency confirmed that “The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket part.” As defined by the FTC, an “aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer.”

The alert notes that a consumer has the right to patronize independent retail stores and repair shops for parts and service without fear of voiding the warranty. The manufacturer has the right to deny a warranty repair but they must demonstrate that the aftermarket part caused the problem. The warranty remains in effect for all other covered parts.

I’ll just leave this right here..
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 11:19:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

In a Consumer Alert issued by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the agency confirmed that “The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket part.” As defined by the FTC, an “aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer.”

The alert notes that a consumer has the right to patronize independent retail stores and repair shops for parts and service without fear of voiding the warranty. The manufacturer has the right to deny a warranty repair but they must demonstrate that the aftermarket part caused the problem. The warranty remains in effect for all other covered parts.

I’ll just leave this right here..
View Quote
That's like arguing that Ford should cover all repairs to a Fiesta after a shadetree smith adds a turbocharger to it and fucks the engine.

I don't think that Magnuson-Moss defines aftermarket part, but the logical interpretation would be a drop-in replacement, rather than something that augments the function.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 11:50:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That's like arguing that Ford should cover all repairs to a Fiesta after a shadetree smith adds a turbocharger to it and fucks the engine.

I don't think that Magnuson-Moss defines aftermarket part, but the logical interpretation would be a drop-in replacement, rather than something that augments the function.
View Quote
What it states is that a company may not void the warrenty on every part.   Ya’ll can argue all you want.  Dillon just as many other companies will say they’ll do it, to deture as many people as they can, but if/when it comes down to it, they won’t/can’t and if they do/did,  they will only get away with it untill someones sue’s and they loose.

It also DOES cover aftermarket parts and they can void the warrenty if damage is caused by an aftermarket part, but ONLY on the affected parts.  IE: Dillon could void the warrenty on the Frame, Shellplate, Shell plate bolt and that’s all.  They CANNOT void the warrenty on any other part(s), Unless they can prove that the aftermarket part caused the damage to the other part(s).

I’m also pretty sure that Dillon like most other companies has a policy which states it’s employees are NOT alloud to speak on their behalf in public forum with out going threw their legal dept.

But reguardless, No one asked..

-Masta
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 12:56:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 12:14:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Hey all,

I have s Dillon 650 for reloading and a Dillon Super Swager, But even with the super swager, swaging thousands of 5.56 LC brass is a time consuming task...

I recently saw a video of the Hornady LNL AP press with the Hornady Swaging kit..

This methoid looks miles faster/easier than using the Dillon Super Swager..

I was offered a Hornady Pro-Jector press only from a friend for $100, the swaging kit is $89.99, So for $189.99, I'd have a dedicated Swager where I can processs LC brass quickly..

My question is, Can anyone verify that the swaging kit will fit on the Pro-Jector press? I wrote to Hornady and the said all their shell plates are backward compatible..  However when I googled it, I found alot of threads that said most LNL stuff isn't backward compatible..  So I'm hoping someone can confirm for me if it will work or not?

Also, is $100 a good price for a Pro Jector press?  Keep in mind, I am only looking to make it into a dedicated swaging machine..

Please save me the "Just buy a Dillon 1050" or the likes Comments.

-Masta

eta, I don't want to see any off topic posts either, this is a Hornady thread. dryflash3
View Quote
I read this yesterday so today I pulled my old press out and mounted it to my maintenance stand and tried it out. You are good to go.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 12:51:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I read this yesterday so today I pulled my old press out and mounted it to my maintenance stand and tried it out. You are good to go.
View Quote
You are awesome!
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 12:57:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You are awesome!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are awesome!
I am curious how this will work for you.

I am going to try the Swage-It on the 650XL.

Let's report our results.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 10:52:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I am curious how this will work for you.

I am going to try the Swage-It on the 650XL.

Let's report our results.
View Quote
Did you get yours yet?  Anything to report?

-Masta
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 1:32:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Did you get yours yet?  Anything to report?

-Masta
View Quote
It came and I will be trying it out today. I will report my results.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 7:57:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 8:14:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The short version, will iron out the primer pocket ID crimp well, but does not produce a lot of taper entrance to the entry of the primer pocket isntead.

So some times you can get away with the narrow beveling of the entry of the primer pocket for the primer to find the primer channel, while with some other case and some types of primers, the primer does not want to find the primer pocket at entry well instead.  In the later, you need to go back with a cutter type swage remove tool, to increase the primer pocket entrance chamfering so your not having problems with the 650 allowing the primer to find and entry the primer pocket cleanly/flawlessly instead.

Hence you don't force the primer into a primer pocket on a 650 machine, since that is the quickest way to set a primer off, have it chain fire the rest of the primers and up the tube; ending up with the entire primer assembly KB and needing to be replaced.
View Quote
Your results seem to be the same as most others I have read regarding the Swage IT.  Seem's like it would be an easy fix for the manufacture, but they haven't done anything more with it..

Does anyone that has the LNL AP Swaging kit know if it has the same problem?  I know it is adjustable, so maybe this isn't a problem on the LNL AP Kit?  DRAINSMITH?

-Masta
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 9:45:26 PM EDT
[#25]
so I installed the Swage-It kit this afternoon. I processed about 2-300 cases tonight. They are now in the tumbler.

I did try to prime them and the primers went in but I only did a few just to try.

Tomorrow I will try to prime them.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 1:09:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 10:31:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Sorry folk but my butt has been on the stool or laying on the couch trying to die.  But I couldn't have said it better than Dano523.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 11:06:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Well, I decided to try the Swage IT first...

I recieved it today...

Installed it and ran a few cases threw it...

I can’t tell any difference (by looking at it) from Swaged and unswaged (crimped)...  To be fair, I can’t hardly tell with my Dillon Super swage either..  But my Dillon super swage takes alot more strength to cycle it...  Which I’m sure it almost entirely due to the difference in mechanical leverage..

I plan to run 100 cases threw over the wekend and prime them to see how they feel...

I know if you try to prime a crimped priner pocket the primer will either have a distinct catch upon entry and/or crush..   So it should be easy enough to tell if it’s swaged enough...

I was hoping to see a distinct sign that you could easily see to make future sorting/processing easier, but it looks like i’ll just be running them threw the swage IT, every time I process them..  No big deal I suppose as I have to run them threw to deprime anyway for wet tumbling, so I just Deprime, then swage..   Then wet tumble, then lube, resize and trim..   Then dry tumble in untreated corn cob to remove burs from trimming and to remove case lube..

Then I load.

*sigh* I hate the .223/5.56 process, it’s almost not even worth doing when you can buy new XM193 for $0.24/round..  But, I digress...

-Masta
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top