Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2018 1:01:53 PM EDT
I purchased the bagged version of Hornady 6.5 Grendel brass x100. I put a movie on and just went to measuring and weighing, got to 60 of them before I got sick of it. Before I realized my scale had a grains mode, I did it in grams:
Weight Minimum was 7.22 grams, Maximum weight was 7.30 which is a .08 gram deviation (1.23 grain difference). The long and the short is that there was a 1% average deviation (1.09% to be exact).
OAL min was 1.5110 vs Max 1.5135, the vast majority were between 1.5120 and 1.5125, I thought that was pretty good.

I'm going to fire these and see how they do with accuracy, but I understand you really need to fire them TWICE, first round to fire form them then second round to see where you're at, before you can really judge brass. So that's going to be a while. I was thinking about grabbing some more while I can still get them for what seems like a good deal, 100 @$40 from Midsouth.

Internet opinions of Hornady brass seems to be polarized, for every person saying they have had good experiences and G2G there's someone saying it's so bad they flick it when doing range pick up, LOL. Appreciate the community entertaining a revival of this dead horse.

What's your experience and opinions?

Link Posted: 12/18/2018 1:08:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't like for precision brass because the neck wall thickness isn't consistent. I had to drop down a size on my neck bushing. Some were tight some the bullet dropped in.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 4:17:07 PM EDT
[#2]
The only thing I have noticed was inconsistent neck tension. As I seat bullets I group them on felt pressure to seat so I have all the high tension rounds grouped together.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 4:35:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I have always heard the brass is much softer then other brass, making it easier to have primer pockets open up and not hold primers...
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 5:48:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Hornady brass has always given me inconsistent neck tension as well.

Large part of why I like my Lee Factory Crimp.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 6:47:12 PM EDT
[#5]
this threat intrigues me. im looking to start reloading grendel soon and set my eyes on starline. seemed to just have the better reviews for that brand. will be lurking to see how this turns out.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 3:40:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I've bought several hundred rounds of loaded Hornady factory ammunition because at the time it cost only a little more than new brass. I've also purchased some 100 round bags of new Hornady brass. I have had no issues with once fired factory ammo brass nor bagged brass. It's been consistent, loaded perfectly, no primer pocket problems, and gets good accuracy reloaded. However I only have 3 rounds fired on many of the Hornady brass cases. Loads and holds up as well as the Lapua brass I've also used with equal accuracy and Hornady brass gives me more velocity with the same charges. Smaller flash hole on the Lapua brass?? Some of my Lapua brass also has 3 rounds fired. May depend on load levels as to how well the brass holds up? It's not a 6.5 Creedmoor.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 4:02:42 AM EDT
[#7]
For what it's worth, my 24" heavy barrel AR is much easier on all the brass after I did the ejector pin radius modification plus polishing the extractor. From what I've seen with my rifle I think the ejector pin mod should be done on all AR Grendel rifles.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2014/08/ar-ejector-mod-for-improved-reliability-with-larger-cartridges/
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:22:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:18:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For what it's worth, my 24" heavy barrel AR is much easier on all the brass after I did the ejector pin radius modification plus polishing the extractor. From what I've seen with my rifle I think the ejector pin mod should be done on all AR Grendel rifles.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2014/08/ar-ejector-mod-for-improved-reliability-with-larger-cartridges/
View Quote
Interesting bit of info there.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:26:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I don't like for precision brass because the neck wall thickness isn't consistent. I had to drop down a size on my neck bushing. Some were tight some the bullet dropped in.
View Quote
I neck turn them all.  Every single piece.

It's a requirement if you want to make it decent for long range stuff.  Otherwise it's fine.

Nosler and Lapua?  Don't need a thing.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:28:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have always heard the brass is much softer then other brass, making it easier to have primer pockets open up and not hold primers...
View Quote
Federal is the worst IME.  You'd be lucky to get two firings out of it.

Heavy loads out of my gas gun did open up pockets, but the brass had been reloaded 6 times.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 3:43:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Federal is the worst IME.  You'd be lucky to get two firings out of it.

Heavy loads out of my gas gun did open up pockets, but the brass had been reloaded 6 times.
View Quote
I have similar experience with Federal Grendel brass.

I have a couple hundred peices of Hornady Grendel brass with 7 reloads on them, still going strong. 90% of those with warmish loads of 31.2 grains CFE223
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 6:52:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a couple hundred cases from Hornady factory ammo I bought over the years. Still using them.  One set has 6 loads on them and are still going strong.  Grendel is pretty easy on brass. I have Lapua brass that I haven't used at all yet.  I'll mess with it at some point.

The Hornady brass for my 6.5 Creedmoor does pretty well too, but does require more prep as it stretches more. The only brass from Hornady I have in question is that for 6mm Creedmoor. It can do too many loadings. Primer pockets get loose with it. I'll be looking into ordering different brass for it soon.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 8:33:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I’ve had good results with their 6.5 Creedmoor brass, but I did turn the necks. Can’t speak to longevity as three firings is the most I have on any of it, but I’m seeing consistent .6-.7 MOA out of it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 10:25:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
that's what I saw with Creedmoor Hornady brass.   Saved my factory brass and during the first reloads I had very inconsistent seating pressure with primers, and had some blow out on the load ladder.

Maybe it was my rifle, or my method, but haven't had this happen to any other load.  Compare the seating pressure to the lapua brass and it's not even close.

I've saved all my H brass from my black ammo and I'm hoping that it works well, but if I see inconsistency, I'll toss it and go to lapua or something else, or just keep buying Sub MOA factory ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top