Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/4/2018 7:43:40 PM EDT
old title....  how they performed below
Does this look like a hornady 55 sp?

Does this look like a hornady 55gr SP past or present?

Maybe i'm crazy i though they had a much flatter base?

My shooting was meh  the bad shots are shooter error not flyers.

Couldn't keep it together for 5 shots The groups all shot at 100 the steel hangs at 200.

At 200 You basically cant miss the 4" gongs the 3"  4 out of 5 is the best i did for the day.

for size refrence.....

4" gong   10" plate in background is for the ak's at 200

3" gong

Link Posted: 4/4/2018 7:50:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I just received 500 today from Midsouth.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 7:56:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just received 500 today from Midsouth.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/425939/20180404_164846-504846.JPG
View Quote
Thank you sir.

I guess i'm just crazy i've only loaded 1k of them previously and i thought they were flatter based.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 8:02:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Thank you sir.

I guess i'm just crazy i've only loaded 1k of them previously and i thought they were flatter based.
View Quote
I think they used to be flat based they seem to have a bit of a boat tail now.

I seem to recall them being difficult to load for some due to the lack of boat tail in the past.

I love the bullet though,  best bullet IMO for the money by a long shot. Good in gel, very accurate, cheap,  can be shot on steel closer up than FMJ, feeds well. I haven't found a single downside to it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 8:06:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I think they used to be flat based they seem to have a bit of a boat tail now.

I seem to recall them being difficult to load for some due to the lack of boat tail in the past.

I love the bullet though,  best bullet IMO for the money by a long shot. Good in gel, very accurate, cheap,  can be shot on steel closer up than FMJ, feeds well. I haven't found a single downside to it.
View Quote
Ok i'm not crazy i must have gotten older stock before.

It was easier to just hold them all the way into the seating die i remember that for certain.

ETA i agree about best bullet for the money i should have been buying them years ago..... when i heard glowing reviews on here.   I always loaded  smk's previously.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 8:11:17 PM EDT
[#5]
The hornady  website shows a flat base.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 8:32:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a ton of the flat base SP Hornady bullets
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 1:50:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 8:09:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The new 55gr SP (PSP bullet) have the semi boat tail.

It was the old SP that had the flat bases, as well as the new SP SX bullet for low velocities performance.
View Quote
They always said the old ones were better for accuracy. how do the new ones with the boat tail compare?
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 8:23:31 AM EDT
[#9]
When I visited with Hornady about these a few months ago they said they retooled and this is the standrard design for the 55 sp after I believe they said July 2017 manufacture.  The ballistician said their was no meaningful impact on the BC.  Reason for the change was to minimize tooling changes and down time from producing 55 FMJ.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 8:33:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thank you sir.

View Quote
Same here... First thought when I saw the photo was "No, they have a flat base..."  Maybe they changed them??
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 9:05:29 AM EDT
[#11]
That makes perfect sense for Hornady and their operation,   Their production rates are still probably higher than decades ago.  The stream lining is sensible.  ETA if they made they interchangeable with their FMJ in loading I would be good with that.   Their FMJ has been quite accurate for me.  Not as good as a ballistic tip but close enough.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 10:28:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
When I visited with Hornady about these a few months ago they said they retooled and this is the standrard design for the 55 sp after I believe they said July 2017 manufacture.  The ballistician said their was no meaningful impact on the BC.  Reason for the change was to minimize tooling changes and down time from producing 55 FMJ.
View Quote
That makes sense and thanks for the insight.

I like the 55gr SPs, even more now with a slight boat tail.  Ill have to buy a few 1000 again.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 1:03:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That makes perfect sense for Hornady and their operation,   Their production rates are still probably higher than decades ago.  The stream lining is sensible.  ETA if they made they interchangeable with their FMJ in loading I would be good with that.   Their FMJ has been quite accurate for me.  Not as good as a ballistic tip but close enough.
View Quote
I, too, like the Hornady 55 gr flat based bulk bullets.  But now, the 62 gr HPBT from Midsouth Shooter Supply has taken over, at least in our AR's.  In a 1 in 9" or faster twist, it has provided better accuracy than the 55 gr soft point.  I will still use the 55 gr so in the 1 in 12" twist bolt guns, since they are unable to keep those long 62 gr HPBT's on an 8 x 11 target at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 3:55:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Given how consistently Hornady makes their bullets, I don’t think the change from flat base to the slight boat tail will cause any decrease in accuracy.

The bullet is made with a closed jacket at the base, just like the flat base version.  It’s not about the shape of the base as much as the fact that it’s closed and thus much more consistent.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 6:11:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Given how consistently Hornady makes their bullets, I don’t think the change from flat base to the slight boat tail will cause any decrease in accuracy.

The bullet is made with a closed jacket at the base, just like the flat base version.  It’s not about the shape of the base as much as the fact that it’s closed and thus much more consistent.
View Quote
I hope this proves to be the case.

I certainly won't complain about the boat tail if that proves out. Those flat base ones weren't the easiest to get seated.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 9:53:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 12:59:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Neat, should load easier.

As to accuracy- in my own lots, I've personally found Hornady's 55 FMJ to be more accurate than the 55 SP.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 9:27:45 PM EDT
[#18]
This is really great news. I particularly like having my plinking loads do double duty if required. This will make loading the soft points as easy a the FMJs and will do less damage to steel targets and more damage to soft targets and nice energy transfer to water filled containers.

Motor
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 9:29:20 PM EDT
[#19]
I hope they left the thickness of the jacket the same and not thinned out up front. Hornady's old 55 gr sp was a do everything bullet in my book.

time will tell I reckon.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 1:09:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I certainly won't complain about the boat tail if that proves out. Those flat base ones weren't the easiest to get seated.
This.
Well from what i saw today i would say everyone will most likely still be happy.

I wasn't having the super tight group day..... but i know what's me and ammo.

I still had no trouble dinking a couple of golf ball's at a 100....... every 16oz bottle was a 1 shot hit at 200.

My same load of 24.5gr of 335 proved the same "decent load" across 9 different rifles today.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 6:40:31 PM EDT
[#21]
My shooting was meh  the bad shots are shooter error not flyers.

Couldn't keep it together for 5 shots The groups all shot at 100 the steel hangs at 200.

At 200 You basically cant miss the 4" gongs the 3"  4 out of 5 is the best i did for the day.

for size refrence.....

4" gong   10" plate in background is for the ak's at 200

3" gong

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top