Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2021 9:47:50 AM EDT
I had one of these machines and a MEC 600jr given to me. I haven’t reloaded shotgun in over 20 years, and I really don’t know what to do with the thing, especially considering the state of reloading supplies cost.

Anyway, the 366 has paperwork that also lists Pacific Tool as the manufacturer.
The press could use some rehab, so I don’t know if it’s worth working on or if Hornady can replace any parts. I don’t even know what parts are missing, but it sure looks like it.

Who has one and what do I need to know?

As far as the 600jr, it looks to pre-date the one I already have that was a Christmas present some time in the 80s.
It doesn’t have the safety devices and the drop tube is metal, not plastic.

I wish that either of them were 20 gauge, but hard to complain about free presses.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 10:32:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Free is good

Pacific tool originally made the 366 and Hornday bought them out.

Dad had a pacific 366 in the early 80’s and he got rid of it pretty quick and went all MEC.

All you can do is call Hornday and see what they offer up for service on it.  My opinion, if Hornday will fix the 366 for free, run that for a while and see how you like it.  

With the mec, the jr doesn’t have a hull sizer on it.  When hulls get on their 3-4 th reload, that will become important.  Then you will run into the decision to start tossing hulls or drop some money on a bench mount hull sizer or upgrade to size master/ grabber.

Personally, I am running MEC grabbers in 12 and 20 ga and happy with those .
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 3:50:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I had one that I got back in 84. Great machine I thought. I just never used it much.

Key thing to remember is the powder and shot have manual turn on and off. If you leave them on and there's not a hull there. Instant mess.

If you get to those spots and forget to turn them on. Dud load, or no shot.

I remember it being a good machine, once all dialed in and set.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 1:06:03 AM EDT
[#3]
If you are shooting 100 rounds a week, get the 366 repaired, learn how to use it and take things slow when you have to correct a problem.

If you only shoot occasionally, you might have less frustration sticking with the 600Jr. It does resize the bases of hulls.  There is a fixed sizer, not a collet style, that screws on the bottom of the sizing/de capping die.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 5:58:13 PM EDT
[#4]
FYI:  I sent my well-used Pacific 366 to Hornady back in 2016 for a complete rehab.

It needed a new bottom platen and shell plate along with general clean-up and tuning to my specific shells.

The whole thing cost me about $210.

I really haven't used it much since then as my trap/skeet range closed down a few years ago, but at least it's in "good shape" when/if I ever get back to reloading on it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 6:33:56 PM EDT
[#5]
My first shotshell press was a 2nd hand 366
...never managed to get it to work no matter what I tried

Bought a P/W 375 & a couple of MEC Sizemasters and never looked back

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top