Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2018 8:31:57 PM EDT
Hey all,

I did a search but came up short and all the old forums for DIY security systems suck now.  In my old house it had been pre-wired for a security system and I had DIY upgraded the old system to a Vista 20P.  I was satisfied with the quality, reliability and I got monitoring very inexpensively.

Cut to the chase, new house, no pre-wire for a security system.  Is a Honeywell Vista 20P with wireless receiver(s) adequate to do a whole house or do I need to look into having wire run?  Are wireless systems reliable?

I really like the peace of mind of a "pro grade" system like the Honeywell Vista, but I am open to suggestions.

What sayeth the hive?
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 8:37:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Honeywell Vista wireless is good to go, you can also mix/match and pull some wire if needed for some hard wiring.

Look into Envisalink which plays very nice with your 20P for free self monitoring.

Is a Honeywell Vista 20P with wireless receiver(s) adequate to do a whole house  Yes, you might need to upgrade the Power Supply which is diy-able.

ETA - assuming you add a new 20P, I did read the post.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 9:39:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Honeywell Vista wireless is good to go, you can also mix/match and pull some wire if needed for some hard wiring.

Look into Envisalink which plays very nice with your 20P for free self monitoring.

Is a Honeywell Vista 20P with wireless receiver(s) adequate to do a whole house  Yes, you might need to upgrade the Power Supply which is diy-able.

ETA - assuming you add a new 20P, I did read the post.
View Quote
Yup, you nailed it, it would be a new 20P system.  Copy on the power supply.  I would love to pull wire for windows and doors, but it is such a PITA to do it after the fact.  I have NOT figured out the trick of that trade.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:17:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I run hard wired and wireless sensors and never had false alarm or reliability issues.

Honeywell makes so many commercial grade options, you need it, they have a solution!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top