Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2022 11:57:39 AM EDT
In a PDW-sized AR-15 SBR, how do the options compare?  What is better or worse than the other options?  Better than an MP-5 SBR?   How about an LWRC SMG-45?

With all of these limited to subsonic ammo and wanting good penetration, I think I'm looking for a 300BO AR-15 pattern.  All of these will take the dogs that tried to attack me and killed livestock but, against feral hogs I'm questioning the frontal area of 45ACP (I've had trouble with 45ACP's with boars in traps) for penetration and the 9mm just doesn't have enough mass.  Will a 300BO out of a ~7" barrel penetrate enough to be an effective stopper on hard to 'pierce' things like feral boars or a sow from the front?

FWIW, my main attraction to the Honey Badger is its super fast twist barrel.

TIA,
Sid
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 1:32:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I stumbled on this which might be helpful to someone:
https://www.shop.jdifirearms.com/553P-SB-AL-CH-with-grey-steel-diopter-SG553SB-AL-GRY-DIOP.htm

Now, back to the core theme, how would a B&T SPC 300BO rate as an option?
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 7:27:03 PM EDT
[#2]
B&T is a solid company and hard to go wrong with. You might also want to look at their APC300 if you want something piston driven.
I have both the 5.56 and .308 versions of it and the perform flawlessly. Only major downside is cost, but considering your list that doesn't seem to be an issue.

LWRCI has had some severe accuracy issues with the SMG45 and, as far as I know, hasn't resolved them. Damn shame because I really was hyped about this gun being a big fan of UMP45s, glad I didn't jump in on their first release. Do note that if you use an SMG45 suppressed you will need a nielsen device because of the reciprocating barrel.

I just avoid Q in general after all the PR/customer service interactions I have read about over the years.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:24:07 PM EDT
[#3]
While Kevin can be a bit rough at times, the flame wars between him and Mark Larue are still vivid in my mind along with the GemTech & Kevin/AAC dust-up that caused ATF/NFA Tech branch to alter the meaning of suppressor repair.  That being said, Kevin's products simply work very well, at least those I own or have been around.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:32:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
B&T is a solid company and hard to go wrong with. You might also want to look at their APC300 if you want something piston driven.
I have both the 5.56 and .308 versions of it and the perform flawlessly. Only major downside is cost, but considering your list that doesn't seem to be an issue.
View Quote
With my SP-5's running ~$3K with no mods, that puts the B&T products within easy reach.  My KAC SR-15 LPR was also in the $3K range when it was all said and done without optics and suppressor.

It "cost" me several thousand to just to get to the KAC LPR acquisition.  If I had started with KAC from the git go, I would have probably saved myself ~$10K spent on inferior rifles.  My KAC SPR is by far my most used rifle because my SBR barrel blast is simply harsh and obnoxious.  That's part of the reason I'm considering the B&T SPC Carbine with its 12.5" barrel but, if I KAC 11.5" rifle or upper came my way, I might skip the SPC Carbine.  In terms of cost, the KAC upper by itself with tax and shipping is ~$2K so, I'm really leaning towards a complete rifle, either KAC or B&T.

The 300BO SPC is a likely near-term acquisition.  That's what is driving the comparison to the Honey Badger and Maxim Defense PDW.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 9:47:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
LWRCI has had some severe accuracy issues with the SMG45 and, as far as I know, hasn't resolved them. Damn shame because I really was hyped about this gun being a big fan of UMP45s, glad I didn't jump in on their first release. Do note that if you use an SMG45 suppressed you will need a nielsen device because of the reciprocating barrel.
View Quote
I was hoping to hear the current SMG-45's were fixed and didn't throw flyers.  The SMG-45 format was one I was excited about with Garand Thumb's review, I decided to wait for a fix.

Good point on the reciprocating barrel.  An SBR like this cries out for a large volume can like the old Gemtech MK-9K or AWC MK-9.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 9:51:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I did this same search (rifle caliber but small) and bought a Sig rattler. Smallest possible plus folds for travel. In the ballpark price wise but has some options out there.

Have a small can inbound as well. Won’t be the most quiet set up with supers but good terminal ballistics with at least 3x the power of 9mm
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 11:43:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I was hoping to hear the current SMG-45's were fixed and didn't throw flyers.  The SMG-45 format was one I was excited about with Garand Thumb's review, I decided to wait for a fix.

Good point on the reciprocating barrel.  An SBR like this cries out for a large volume can like the old Gemtech MK-9K or AWC MK-9.  
View Quote

I wouldn't count them out yet, while I haven't heard anything about a fix I also haven't seen anyone report fliers in a while now. There is a chance it was fixed and no one is saying anything. I'd like to hear some opinions from new owners, but those seem hard to find lol
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 10:12:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I wouldn't count them out yet, while I haven't heard anything about a fix I also haven't seen anyone report fliers in a while now. There is a chance it was fixed and no one is saying anything. I'd like to hear some opinions from new owners, but those seem hard to find lol
View Quote
No news is generally good news.  However, objectivity can be suspect when someone buys a $3K rifle that is a dud.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 1:45:10 AM EDT
[#9]
I own a Fix and Honey Badger.  They are solid products.  I don't care about any owners drama.  I bought after I shot a friend's fix.  I would purchase both again.  They are both very light and in my opinion fit into categories/ specific uses where one wants light compact guns.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 1:28:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 11:25:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I got one of the 4AMxxxx series serial numbers and it drives tacks. Suppresses like a dream.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 11:30:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I own a Fix and it spent 19 weeks at Q for light primer strike issues out of the box. Pretty annoying that a gun that expensive was gone for 21 weeks total for not working. Extremely underwhelming and disappointing service that has left me with buyers remorse. Would not purchase anything from them again.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 8:01:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Do note that if you use an SMG45 suppressed you will need a nielsen device because of the reciprocating barrel.

View Quote

@UMP45_Enthusiast

The barrel reciprocates like a Beretta 92, but does not tilt, so is that needed?
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 8:46:47 AM EDT
[#14]
My PDW recommendation is the LWRC Six8 UCIW. Lots of power from a very short barrel. It's not the best choice if you primarily want a subsonic shooter. But if you want energy on target from an extremely short package, it performs wonderfully.

I'm over 400 days waiting on the ATF right now
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/14/2022 12:15:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My PDW recommendation is the LWRC Six8 UCIW. Lots of power from a very short barrel. It's not the best choice if you primarily want a subsonic shooter. But if you want energy on target from an extremely short package, it performs wonderfully.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/57761/20220212_163058_jpg-2416631.JPG
View Quote

I keep coming back to one of these... I had a 6.8 back in the day and regret selling it
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 9:43:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/57761/20220212_163058_jpg-2416631.JPG
View Quote

That is sweet...............Ive also been looking at their IC-PDW and the Honey Badger............cant decide on caliber, but there are lots of options
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 10:58:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That is sweet...............Ive also been looking at their IC-PDW and the Honey Badger............cant decide on caliber, but there are lots of options
View Quote
Six8 gets you more velocity. I really like it.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/13/2022 7:44:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/57761/20220707_200000_jpg-2450783.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/57761/20220707_200000_jpg-2450783.JPG

What’s the ammo cost like? How many rounds in the mag? I like the looks of that setup
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 8:31:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What's the ammo cost like? How many rounds in the mag? I like the looks of that setup
View Quote

Lately I've been paying $1 to $1.20 for ammunition.  I used to pay about $.80 for Federal Fusion, unfortunately it's been hard to find lately.  Magazines are 30rds each.  I put a direct thread Vox-K on it as it's one of the shortest options available.  I put some hot lock on the threads to keep the suppressor from backing off.

I still need to get a light mounted.  Not sure whether I'll stick another TLR-VIR on it for NV compatibility or just rock a surefire scout.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 9:15:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I was very excited for the SMG45 but shit accuracy for $3k?  No.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 9:31:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Q Honey Badger for 300 blackout.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 5:35:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
In a PDW-sized AR-15 SBR, how do the options compare?  What is better or worse than the other options?  Better than an MP-5 SBR?   How about an LWRC SMG-45?

With all of these limited to subsonic ammo and wanting good penetration, I think I'm looking for a 300BO AR-15 pattern.  All of these will take the dogs that tried to attack me and killed livestock but, against feral hogs I'm questioning the frontal area of 45ACP (I've had trouble with 45ACP's with boars in traps) for penetration and the 9mm just doesn't have enough mass.  Will a 300BO out of a ~7" barrel penetrate enough to be an effective stopper on hard to 'pierce' things like feral boars or a sow from the front?

FWIW, my main attraction to the Honey Badger is its super fast twist barrel.

TIA,
Sid
View Quote

Just to be clear, it sounds like you are sticking to subs no matter what?  300blk out of those options.   But you might want to look into 8.6 blk if subsonic hog killing is your #1 priority.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 7:54:22 PM EDT
[#23]
The LWRC SMG45 is a great one and I've been so wanting one but I've skipped getting many times due to the accuracy and other issues. Simply not acceptable for a $3k gun. Wish LWRC paid attention and fixed the issues and released it back to the market with more reliability and with out magazine/feed issues. The accuracy is around 3 MOA best I guess. My friend has one and its a blast to shoot and smooth while it runs.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 8:43:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I was very excited for the SMG45 but shit accuracy for $3k?  No.
View Quote
I recently saw some for sale for around $1500. I'll keep my UMP clone though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top