Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 5:11:00 AM EDT
[#1]
So, with a 16" AR you have (very roughly) 170dB at the muzzle.  There are 2-3 things that reduce this noise getting to your ears, ear plugs, ear muffs, and your skull.  Studies with for-real data collection show (again very roughly) 40dB reduction through your skull.

Many shooters are using something like the Impact Sport ear muffs, which have an NRR of 22.  With an NRR of 22, you are still well over the much touted 140dB level for hearing damage.

If you start at 140dB (suppressed) vs the 170dB (unsuppressed) you have a significant reduction in the amount of noise getting through to your ears even if without ear-pro your gun is still "loud".

Suppress all the things!
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 9:00:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I haven't shot 5.56 unsuppressed since my Turbo was released from NFA jail and now I have a Turbo-K doing time. Yes, it is worth it. The Turbo is currently mounted on a pin/weld 16". One can will live on that gun and the other on a 10.5". I guess the others will need cans so they will be used too.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 8:21:36 PM EDT
[#3]
yes it is worth it! i have a Omega .300 and LOVE it! i run it on 5.56 and .330 blk out
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 10:38:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Suppressed is so much better. I suppress everything I can. I actually like the Surefire cans too. Mk18's/cqbr's with appropriate can is still very "quiet", especially compared to even a 16" unsuppressed.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 11:14:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I have SiCo Hybrid on AR in 7.62x39. I deer/hog hunt with it. I can hunt without earpro. 1,2,3,4 rounds at a time is sustainable. Range session is not. Besides it hides muzzle flash and makes the rifle more controllable (not that it's a challenge.) People come up to me at the range not believing how quiet it is. No doubt not getting blasted with the A2 muzzle brake probably has something to do with this perception too. LOL

No it won't be hollywood quiet, but you will notice it is much more mellow.
Like others, I don't really like to shoot without a can anymore and have started to sell anything that won't take one other than sentimental guns.
I wish I had not waited to get my first can.
I too recommend a .30 can. Just find a model that allows for 5.56 endcap is all. It should not add too much to weight/size, but give you a lot of flexibility. Supposedly the US Army is going away from the 5.56, and maybe you want to follow that if it happens (I know very little about this).
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 11:35:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I’m with the yes crowd especially with a shorter barrel.  With a 16in barrel it’s still useful just not as much as with a shorter setup
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 9:03:44 PM EDT
[#7]
My daughter never cared much for shooting my 10.5" 5.56 AR before I got my suppressor.  Now you can't wipe the grin off of her face when she gets a chance to shoot it.  It really does make them a lot more enjoyable to shoot, even though aren't completely hearing safe.

The .300 BLK with subs is a whole 'nother level of fun.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top