Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/12/2020 12:23:17 AM EDT
Was heavily considering a suppressor (likely Silencer Co Omega 300) for my 16" AR. I was at the range a while back and someone was shooting w/a Surefire can and holy crap it was still super loud. Changed the sound a bit but still super loud. I understand that barrel length, ammo, type of can, etc all will drastically affect the sound, however just as a general question for the hive; have you found it worth it to spend the $$$ and wait the time to suppress your 5.56 AR15?
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 12:27:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Omega 300 on my 16” AR makes the muzzle sound like a .22.  But without adjustable gas the port pop will spike unprotected ears.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 12:33:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, it wont be perfect but it takes a good deal of the edge off. Depending which can you choose. Eve the K's are nice if you are shooting all day or taking a class because you are not dealing with all the concussion.  First and foremost a suppressor mitigates concosion, a byproduct of that is that it reduces DB's as well. It coulod be a chicken and egg thingy.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 12:35:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Absolutely
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 12:45:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 12:46:54 AM EDT
[#5]
My 10.3” SBR sounds SOOOOOOO much better when I have my Turbo on it. Without it, it is obnoxious. 100% worth it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 1:02:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Arent Surefire cans known more for their durability and flash suppression and not so much for their sound suppression?

May not be worlds different, but I would guess an Omega would be a little quieter than the surefire.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 1:03:07 AM EDT
[#7]
surefire cans are loud compared to almost all the competition.

Their design is focused on durability and other priorities more than sound, since the guys that they are designed for typically are wearing electronic earpro/comms anyway.

I have a couple Omegas and some Sig cans that are all quite effective on all my ARs from 10.5" to 16". I was in afghanistan and went shooting with some ODA guys and was surprised at how loud the surefires were on 14.5" and 10.3". I tried a round without the comtacs and it was super loud and rung my ears. We were outside. I can shoot my ARs with my cans outside without earpro and not be bothered.

I don't know why someone who can choose from any can on the market would choose a surefire other than the clone correctness or "that's what the cool guys use" factor. Not only are they really loud, but they are also super expensive.

YHM Turbo is what I'd choose if I was buying for the first time right now. I convinced my buddy to get one a while back and he has really enjoyed it as his only suppressor.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 1:26:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks so much for the responses and first-hand experience!
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 1:28:29 AM EDT
[#9]
You're not generally going to get unsuppressed 5.56 to what most would consider "hearing safe" unless you go subsonic.

But. What you get by suppressing supersonic 5.56 is definitely worthwhile in both the near- and long-term (IMO), and your ears will thank you in decades to come. Not to mention it makes a ton of difference in immediate and local tactical situations, where not being "numbed" can lead to greater situational awareness and responsivity to the local and immediate tactical situation.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 1:45:04 AM EDT
[#10]
No question, definitely.

My cans bring my 5.56 rifles down to where they sound like supersonic .22lr. They aren't silent, but it's a massive difference, it's the difference between ears ringing from a few shots while hunting or not, the difference between wearing double ear pro whenever you shoot, and safely wearing just plugs. Sound impulse conduction through your skull can't be helped by any amount of ear pro, but suppressors reduce the impulse by orders of magnitude.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 1:51:00 AM EDT
[#11]
I won't shoot any rifle without a suppressor anymore, especially ARs, rifle suppressors are one of the best gun related purchases I've made.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 1:57:35 AM EDT
[#12]
No. I have that can and have bought 4 others using many many different AR setups, great can by the way. But 16” .223 is long, heavy, and still loud. I use a lot cool guy gear for free every day and pay still for other gear myself, so I can look at it objectively. Money send better elsewhere by far, like on a quality training classes, then using competitions to keep the skills you think are relevant fresh. But the internet will disagree, because they think gear equals capabilities and will later trick themselves to believing they actually bought skills as well.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 2:06:31 AM EDT
[#13]
I very rarely shoot anything without a can now. Shooting with friends that dont own suppressors seems obnoxious
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 2:10:40 AM EDT
[#14]
I like them. My 18" only gets shot suppressed now. IMO it sounds really nice.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 2:24:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Absolutely. Suppressed AR's are loud but still MUCH better than unsuppressed. Example: we predator hunt and guilted our "loud" buddy into buying a can when he really wasn't that interested. He bought a Hybrid for his 12" Grendel and even with the .46 endcap he loves it. He shot 5 rounds the other night with no complaints. A few days before he fired 2 rounds with his 20" Grendel and said his ears rang all day. He has a 2nd can pending and is planning on a 3rd.
If all you do is shoot on a range next to unsuppressed shooters then maybe not, but if you shoot out in the open air alone it makes a huge difference. I've never heard a Surefire can but always read that they are loud. For it's size, my Omega does a really nice job and my partners always comment on how quiet it sounds.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 2:35:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Yes. I find myself coyote more often with mine now. Not entirely sure what's happening with the yotes, but a miss doesn't make them bolt, even a close miss they'll freeze and look around - providing plenty of time for a second shot. With plugs in, the only thing I hear is the action, don't notice and crack or boom.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 3:08:39 AM EDT
[#17]
The Mk12 Mod 0 et al thread is what you seek for info.
My AEM5 turns my 18 inch Mod 0 into a plenty safe (outdoors) .22lr level.
Still get the crack and the echo but it's tolerable to the naked ear.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 3:39:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
surefire cans are loud compared to almost all the competition.

Their design is focused on durability and other priorities more than sound, since the guys that they are designed for typically are wearing electronic earpro/comms anyway.

I have a couple Omegas and some Sig cans that are all quite effective on all my ARs from 10.5" to 16". I was in afghanistan and went shooting with some ODA guys and was surprised at how loud the surefires were on 14.5" and 10.3". I tried a round without the comtacs and it was super loud and rung my ears. We were outside. I can shoot my ARs with my cans outside without earpro and not be bothered.

I don't know why someone who can choose from any can on the market would choose a surefire other than the clone correctness or "that's what the cool guys use" factor. Not only are they really loud, but they are also super expensive.

YHM Turbo is what I'd choose if I was buying for the first time right now. I convinced my buddy to get one a while back and he has really enjoyed it as his only suppressor.
View Quote
When I bought my first gen Surefires they had the best combination of features on the market and by far the most superior QD mounts. I have other cans now but I am committed to the legacy Surefires on many rifles. They are still pretty good all these years later and I didn’t have to wait until 2015
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 6:13:22 AM EDT
[#19]
I’ve heard the argument “well it’s still not technically hearing safe” so many times and Tbh I think it’s the dumbest thing anyone can say. 135-145 is a lot better then 160+... most ear plugs are only good for 30db or so, so your better off with a can most of the time anyways. Plus let’s be honest How many of us have ever went hunting and fired a shot without ear pro...
I’d still recommend wearing hearing protection while At the range, but yes they are totally worth it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 9:00:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 9:15:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 9:24:03 AM EDT
[#22]
My opinion is if you're looking for quiet or hearing safe then don't buy it.

If you are looking for something that will take away concussion, help with flash and in some instances help with recoil, then I'd do it.  Also if you use the AR for home defense you'll be better off with the silencer on there.   I'd say get one but also look at some other cans.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 9:26:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Definitely worth it.

Surefire cans are very loud.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 9:48:11 AM EDT
[#24]
5.56 through a .30 c cal can is going to be louder than out of .22 cal can.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 10:14:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Everything is better suppressed.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 10:16:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
No. I have that can and have bought 4 others using many many different AR setups, great can by the way. But 16” .223 is long, heavy, and still loud. I use a lot cool guy gear for free every day and pay still for other gear myself, so I can look at it objectively. Money send better elsewhere by far, like on a quality training classes, then using competitions to keep the skills you think are relevant fresh. But the internet will disagree, because they think gear equals capabilities and will later trick themselves to believing they actually bought skills as well.
View Quote
Nobody is saying a suppressor is more important than training. You can have both you know. If you use that logic then you should honestly be taking jiujitsu classes rather than buying a gun. They are completely different topics and this is the silencer forum, sooooo.....
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 11:01:55 AM EDT
[#27]
140 dB hearing safe? my audiologist says "absolutely not!"

in fact, doctor says 140 dB is just barely safe if wearing good muffs/plugs. its accumulative damage.

so now i'm being fitted with two hearing aids. i wish i had been more conservative...

is a can useful with 556? yes indeed. they take the bark out and help get the pressure levels down to something handleable when using ear protection.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 11:05:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Yes. My .223 suppressor was one of my best purchases ever.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 11:13:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Have been wondering the same as far as purchasing a 556 suppressor. Not expecting hearing safe but considering the YHM Turbo K to use on 11.5-14.5 upper that I might build. Would this be a decent option for barrels that length?
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 11:20:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Everything is better suppressed.
View Quote
Agreed.

Although shooting suppressed 5.56 without hearing protection may not be comfortable (nor would I recommend it) the amount of noise cut down is substantial. When I used to shoot 5.56 unsuppressed I would wear ear plugs underneath muffs. When shooting suppressed I don't wear the plugs and just use muffs. It's a far more pleasant experience both in sound and comfort.

And +1 for the Allen Engineering AEM5 on a Mk12 SPR type setup.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 11:26:15 AM EDT
[#31]
It depends on what you reasoning is for suppressing a 5.56 AR and what you expectations are?

No suppressor out there will quiet a 5.56MM AR, using supersonic rounds to hearing safe levels (unsuppressed .22LR sound levels is NOT hearing safe) so if that's your goal or expectation then no, don't waste your money.

Now if you are OK with that and just want to tone it down some to make it more pleasant to shoot with earpro on or for those (hopefully) rare situations where you may need to shoot without earpro (SD or Hunting) and have the money then sure. Even then, seriously considering an adjustable gas block.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 11:30:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Takes the edge off, I still wear muffs.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 11:58:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes, for sure
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 12:02:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Another way of forming the question, is it worth suppressing supersonic cartridges?

Of course it is, but I believe the characteristics and priorities of the can change.

For a 5.56 AR, length, weight and blowback should be the priority.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 12:13:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes, but I wear plugs.  Just more comfortable.  I have five Surefire rifle cans plus a bunch of other stuff.  Yes, the Surefire cans are louder.  No, I won’t shoot any centerfire supersonic suppressed firearm without additional hearing protection (unless I have to).  I’ve done it to see how loud it is.  Doesn’t matter what it is it still rings my ears.

Yes, 556 suppressed is better then no can.  Makes shooting much more pleasant.  It’s one of the reasons I like mini cans.  If I have to wear plugs anyway I might as well keep the length and weight down.  A Surefire Mini with Surefire plugs on a 10.3” AR is very nice.  Without a can it should be plugs and muffs, especially indoors.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 12:26:44 PM EDT
[#36]
If you want quiet stick with PCCs and subsonic rounds
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 12:50:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 1:05:23 PM EDT
[#38]
I have a sandman with ebrake on a mid length 16”.
Also a bootleg adj bcg.

To me it isn’t painful to shoot without ears although I usually wear ears.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 1:50:48 PM EDT
[#39]
yes under the following circumstances:
you hunt with it and don't wear plugs/muffs when you do
you may use it for HD

you will use for HD on a shorter barrel

otherwise no. I only shoot 556 at the range, so I'm wearing plugs and or muffs anyway.

The benefit of a can comes from when you are already running a shorter barrel, which makes a louder shot and fireball. can helps with both. It's even better of an experience if you pick stuff that should be suppressed, like fat 9mm, 45, or 300BO. otherwise it's a very expensive way to be cool on instagram.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 11:29:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Most certainly.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 10:11:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 4:01:04 PM EDT
[#42]
100%
I dont like shooting without a can anymore.
Edit: on Rifles.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 4:11:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 1:26:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
100%
I dont like shooting without a can anymore.
Edit: on Rifles.
View Quote
Thats where I'm at. All my rifles wear a suppressor when I'm shooting.

No interest in suppressing my pistols. Its not like my cc will have a suppressor attached.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 6:10:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Has anyone done any shooter's ear sound meter testing of a suppressor on an AR that has all the tuning tricks done to it like an 18" rifle length gas barrel, adjustable gas block, and heavy buffer?  I'm curious how much of a difference these things make.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:32:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
We need to take out the human understanding of "loud" because we can't process it.  We're going to get graphic for a second... so sensitive stomachs just quit reading here.   It will all come back around in the end...

Years ago I had my finger tip smashed in a door.  Bad... as in, broken, nail was destroyed, parts of the nail embedded into my finger, etc.  Immediately before that I was cleaning and playing with the dog... so my hands were filthy.  I used forceps to pull the remaining bits of nail out.  (Yes, we're talking about ripping off broken nails from a crushed finger.)  I cleaned everything up as best I could.  In the bloody mess I couldn't see the last piece of nail, so I poured rubbing alcohol on it because it was sitting on the sink and the saline was in the other room.   Let the amount of physical pain that caused sink in for a second... pain doesn't bother me.  That caused me to nearly hit the floor.  Vision went black, everything stopped mattering except this tremendous amount of pain.  Ultimately though, it was a gruesome injury but not really "bad."  Blood loss was minimal, broken finger tip is annoying, and nails grow back.

I could have had a MUCH more severe injury with the "same" amount of pain... or even far less pain.  The body can only process so much and how we understand physical things can be altered by environment, mood, health, etc.

If we equate "loud" to "pain" there is the same maximum limit our body can understand.  At some point we hit a cap and it "shuts off."  But 'pain' and 'loud' isn't related to physical damage how many people think.  If you think 155 dB and 170 dB sound the same, you may be correct... that may be your "cap."  170 dB is still doing a bunch more damage though.

With 5.56 ARs, you aren't getting them "quiet."  You're tremendously reducing hearing damage from and bringing them from "too loud to physically process" to "really loud."

So yes... it's worth it.... well if you care about protecting your hearing and making a gun tremendously more quiet.  You have to keep expectations in check though.
View Quote
Thanks for this post, it will make me reevaluate my stance because I generally find myself in the no camp.

I shoot with a couple dozen guys on a biweekly basis, half are using factory suppressed Sig MCXs and the other half including me have unsuppressed 10.5" ARs. I love how light and maneuverable my 10.5 is. I'm not sold on adding 6inches and 1lb back into the end of the gun. Indoors where most of our shooting, training or real takes place, in a blind test I cannot tell which guns are firing, suppressed or not. Outdoors the suppressed guns are significantly quieter and the sound caries a much shorter distance.

I am surprised at just how much muzzle flash makes it out of the Sig 7.62 cans. A lot less than our 10.5s with A2 flash hiders but still enough to see in daylight and interfere with night vision at night.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:34:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Thanks for this post, it will make me reevaluate my stance because I generally find myself in the no camp.

I shoot with a couple dozen guys on a biweekly basis, half are using factory suppressed Sig MCXs and the other half including me have unsuppressed 10.5" ARs. I love how light and maneuverable my 10.5 is. I'm not sold on adding 6inches and 1lb back into the end of the gun. Indoors where most of our shooting, training or real takes place, in a blind test I cannot tell which guns are firing, suppressed or not. Outdoors the suppressed guns are significantly quieter and the sound caries a much shorter distance.

I am surprised at just how much muzzle flash makes it out of the Sig 7.62 cans. A lot less than our 10.5s with A2 flash hiders but still enough to see in daylight and interfere with night vision at night.
View Quote
YHM Turbo-K is a good option. Less than a pound and less than six inches.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 11:42:07 PM EDT
[#48]
In general I think just about anything that will dramatically reduce noise and concussive blast from a firearm is worth doing.  I prefer to suppress anything I own if it makes sense.  I'm not trying to run my 18" 2 gun rifle with a 9" can on it in competition, but if I'm sitting at a bench I will throw a suppressor on it.  And also wear earpro.  Because I care about my hearing and brain.

I also wipe my face and hands with lead off wipes and soap when I am done at the range, and try not to handle ammo or magazines without gloves on.

I also wear gloves when I am cleaning guns and do it in a ventilated room.

Maybe none of these precautions will affect my health in 10, 20, or 30 years.  Or maybe they'll be the difference in not needing hearing aids, avoiding irreparable damage from lead poisoning, etc.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 12:40:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Best thing you can do is try one (preferably outdoors) and see what you think. Afterward, manage your expectations and decide.

SilentMike
AAC for 20 years, now Dead Air!
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 4:17:29 AM EDT
[#50]
What did you say???
Just joking I heard you, I suppressed my 5.56 and just about everything else.
Yes it is worth it and will at least take the edge off.
Better yet buy a .300 blackout upper and .30 caliber can that can work on both.
.300 blackout subs and suppressor won't disappoint.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top