Posted: 1/10/2019 8:18:13 PM EDT
Has anyone made one?
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 8:21:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Who still uses lube pads?
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 9:25:30 PM EDT
[#2]
****Deleted****
Mistakenly thought this was a GD thread.

Link Posted: 1/10/2019 9:28:40 PM EDT
[#3]
After I started using Hornady One Shot, I've never used anything else.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 9:41:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought one a couple years ago, still have it.
I used it on a couple of cases and didn't see the advantage

One shot is all I'm really using now
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 10:35:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I still use my RCBS Lube Pad, the same one from the 1980's. Most consistent way to lube cases in my experience. I've cleaned it a few times with odorless mineral spirits wiping with a rag. Never seen or heard of one being made but I've wondered if an ink stamp pad would work. Wouldn't buy one to try though, I'd just buy a RCBS one. My RCBS lube pad works fine with RCBS lube or the lanolin type lubes. One spray of lanolin lube will lube many cases. Easy to roll the cases without getting lube on the shoulders and to tilt the case slightly to apply a little lube to the case neck.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 10:54:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 11:04:00 PM EDT
[#7]
nope, I just use coconut oil. I dab some on my finger and rub it on the case.
When the case starts to stick, I add another dab.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 11:05:16 PM EDT
[#8]
When I first started reloading all I knew was what my grandfather taught me. He still uses a lube pad when he reloads (which is rare now, he's 93).

So I made one using the bottom side of a federal primer tray and a dish sponge. Cut it to fit, hot glued the sponge into the tray and then used some anti-slip material on the bottom to prevent it from sliding. I moistened with regular gun oil. Worked fine.

Now I use homemade lube with lanolin in a spray bottle and throw it in the tumbler to clean it off.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 8:50:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Most of us in this forum use homemade spray lube which is the same a Dillon/FA lube but much cheaper.

So I haven't used a lube pad in 20 years.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Case_Lube_for_cheap_bastards/42-305174/&light=case%7Clube%7Ccheap%7Cbastards

https://i.imgur.com/ZoHtYyCl.jpg

I place cases in my lube box, tilt box and shake. Most of the cases will be neck up. 2 sprays.

Shake up box, tilt and 2 more sprays, Done.

Enough cases get lube inside the neck, so you can skip the step of lubing the inside of the case mouths.

After sizing lube is removed in a dry tumbler using plain corn cob.
View Quote
That's what I've been using. But someone mentioned just putting lube on the case body to help keep from getting dents in the shoulder. So I was thinking a lube pad might be the way to go.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 11:10:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 3:03:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I use an RCBS pad. I tried just spraying lube in a container of brass but it was too messy, wasteful, and ended up with dents. With the lube pad I don't waste lube and the right amount of lube gets on the brass. Seems like the effort to do things "better" is usually wasteful and not as good as the old ways. I still use single stage presses and a balance beam scale too, so there..!
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 3:07:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 9:39:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I have been using homemade for years. With the pad I roll 14 223s and 30 Carbine at a time and it goes pretty quickly. A dozen 45 Colts and 45/70 at a time. I still have steel pistol dies for the larger calibers.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 3:09:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top