Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2018 8:46:57 PM EDT
Finally gave up on trying to find someone to scan/print fingerprint cards for me.  Bought myself a Sirchie porelon pad and got to work.  Took me less than an hour to do 12 cards.  Not too bad for my first time I think, and completely by myself, no card holder, nothing.

Has anyone else done home rolled prints and gotten any kicked back?  Done lots and had no problems?  This sure as hell beats $10/card at the sheriffs office.

Link Posted: 5/8/2018 6:20:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 6:56:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Groovey
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 7:00:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Home rolled for my first and so far only submission. It went through just fine.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 7:09:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I just did a half dozen of them the other night, I have a holder and using the sirchie perfect print pad, in fact I have a few extra pads I need to sell....

But I have never had any rejected, I also can do them on my laser printer if I want to.  I have only had one set done at the police office, then have been doing them myself for quite a while now, I also do prints for other guys when they need them.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 7:25:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Has anyone else done home rolled prints and gotten any kicked back?  Done lots and had no problems?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/169396/prints-536966.jpg
View Quote
I have submitted quite a few home rolled print cards over the years for NFA transfers and have never had any kicked back.

I don't have the exact numbers as I don't remember specifically when I switched from going to the Sheriff's office for prints vs. home rolled.... but it was at least 10+ years ago as I was rolling my own prints when the NFA branch was still located in DC.  (I do recall throwing away a bunch of old ORI print cards at one point)

I would guesstimate at this point I have submitted probably somewhere around 100 "home rolled" individual print cards to the NFA branch for F1/F4 applications at this point.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 8:23:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been signing my own print  cards for 20 years.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 8:24:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have submitted quite a few home rolled print cards over the years for NFA transfers and have never had any kicked back.

I don't have the exact numbers as I don't remember specifically when I switched from going to the Sheriff's office for prints vs. home rolled.... but it was at least 10+ years ago as I was rolling my own prints when the NFA branch was still located in DC.  (I do recall throwing away a bunch of old ORI print cards at one point)

I would guesstimate at this point I have submitted probably somewhere around 100 "home rolled" individual print cards to the NFA branch for F1/F4 applications at this point.
View Quote
WOW 20K in tax stamps! I thought I had a lot !!  !
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 9:24:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 12:42:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Two cards per submission.
View Quote

Yup, two per application.  

I am somewhere in the mid 60s in terms of approved application,  with another half dozen-ish currently pending.  I probably have another 6 or 7  double stamp guns over the years where I had to pay a F4 transfer just to get a gun to my dealer.  It wouldn't surprise me if I have written close to 75 x $200 checks to the NFA branch in my lifetime.

While not $20K...its still a sizeable number if you add them all up.  However, if you divide it out over18ish years its less than $1000 per year in NFA tax payments per year, so it not that bad all things considered.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 3:49:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Two cards per submission.
View Quote
Ok right.  But damn thats still a lot =)
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 3:35:28 AM EDT
[#11]
I’ve always rolled my own. I’m LEO so access to ink and a printing stand have never been an issue for me; however, I’ve rolled the past four or five sets of prints from home on my kitchen table. Never had an issue with anything being kicked back.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 4:18:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yup, two per application.

I am somewhere in the mid 60s in terms of approved application,  with another half dozen-ish currently pending.  I probably have another 6 or 7  double stamp guns over the years where I had to pay a F4 transfer just to get a gun to my dealer.  It wouldn't surprise me if I have written close to 75 x $200 checks to the NFA branch in my lifetime.

While not $20K...its still a sizeable number if you add them all up.  However, if you divide it out over18ish years its less than $1000 per year in NFA tax payments per year, so it not that bad all things considered.
View Quote
$1k per year? I bet that's still less than most peoples' fancy coffee habits at $5+ per cup. Far less than a pack-a-day smoker.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 1:04:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

$1k per year? I bet that's still less than most peoples' fancy coffee habits at $5+ per cup. Far less than a pack-a-day smoker.
View Quote

The actual stamp cost isn't all that bad and as you mentioned is probably less than many folks annual pumpkin spiced mocha frappuccino outlay.   Unfortunately,  from a total spend perspective the true cost including all the hardware that the stamps supported would probably put me more in range of a full blow coke or smack addict.

I take consolation in the fact that the majority of my capital spend in this area has not been sent to "money heaven" like a boats, ATVs, golf clubs, iphones, etc. would have produced   The silencers are probably a sunk cost but the machineguns easily pick up the financial slack for the less that financially advantageous acquisitions.

I guess its good that at the end of the day I have no significant regrets, as I just put in an order with the ATF for 20 more FBI print cards yesterday. I was down to my last set and they just got sent in for a Blackhawk Miniboss transfer.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 1:41:40 AM EDT
[#14]
No problem with mine.
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 8:54:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Finally gave up on trying to find someone to scan/print fingerprint cards for me.  Bought myself a Sirchie porelon pad and got to work.  Took me less than an hour to do 12 cards.  Not too bad for my first time I think, and completely by myself, no card holder, nothing.

Has anyone else done home rolled prints and gotten any kicked back?  Done lots and had no problems?  This sure as hell beats $10/card at the sheriffs office.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/169396/prints-536966.jpg
View Quote

Can I come over this evening and have you do some for me???

Link Posted: 5/25/2018 1:27:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I just had 2 Form4s approved this month and both had home rolled prints (my first attempts).  I bought a $6 ink pad from amazon and filled out 4 cards.  Take your time and it's no big deal.
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 2:33:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I did my own for my first NFA submission last year without issue. I got a Lee inkless pad which worked well. The card holder definitely helps doing it alone but isn’t a must.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 10:17:51 PM EDT
[#18]
ATF website says local law agency must do your prints:

https://www.atf.gov/explosives/qa/how-do-i-get-my-fingerprints-taken

I’m about to set up a Trust.  How would the atf know if my prints are home brew, or done by the sheriff?
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 11:12:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
ATF website says local law agency must do your prints:

https://www.atf.gov/explosives/qa/how-do-i-get-my-fingerprints-taken

I'm about to set up a Trust.  How would the atf know if my prints are home brew, or done by the sheriff?
View Quote
Note you are linking in the section of the website with the FAQ for EXPLOSIVES licenses.

There is NO requirement that fingerprints be done by any official agency for NFA purposes.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 11:48:26 PM EDT
[#20]
As long as the prints are readable, they don't care who takes them, I have been doing mine and other friends for a long time now.
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 9:20:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Note you are linking in the section of the website with the FAQ for EXPLOSIVES licenses.

There is NO requirement that fingerprints be done by any official agency for NFA purposes.
View Quote
Thanks!

ETA: reading comprehension.  Duh.
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 7:04:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 6:00:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
But you can take comfort in knowing at least one person (a different one every time, that finds the answer via Google) answers the same way every time this discussion comes up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

ETA: reading comprehension.  Duh.
But you can take comfort in knowing at least one person (a different one every time, that finds the answer via Google) answers the same way every time this discussion comes up.
It’s my first foray into the nfa world.

Please be gentle.

Link Posted: 5/30/2018 1:51:38 PM EDT
[#24]
I let people know, all the time, about rolling prints and passport photos. Especially, those with post 41F trusts, for the RPQ.
They act as if it's some huge hassle when, in reality, it's about 10min of effort.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 2:20:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top