Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2018 10:53:04 AM EDT
I was just wondering what got you interested in getting a FFL? What were some of the first items you sold? Thank you
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 6:55:36 PM EDT
[#1]
The kitchen table dealer I was using for my transfers decided to turn over the business to his teen age son. Son promptly destroyed his dad's reputation as a transfer dealer.
I thought I could do better.
Planned on doing 15 transfers a month. Barry Obama, the greatest President in firearm history insured I got the chance.
I now average 170 Title I and a dozen NFA transfers each month.

I sell very little. Tough to compete with Buds, CDNN, GrabaGun.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 7:16:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Making money on new guns is extremely hard with big stores whoring guns out cheap. If I make $30-$40 on a new gun I feel like I'm doing well.  Often times they can get guns cheaper than your dealer cost due to their volume. Build the business around doing transfers. Occasionally grab some used guns when you find them cheap.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 11:42:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I obtained my home based 01 FFL in order to make money legally doing stippling and grip mods. I’ve had my FFL since last May and I’ve sold exactly one gun. I never expected to sell many guns though...grip mods and light smithing are my bread and butter.

I stay busy enough with it as a second income that I’ve considered going part time at my primary job.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 10:11:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I got my ffl as a hobby. I consider myself a home based even tho I operate from my existing other business (small car dealer) it was something to do on the side when nothing going on at the dealership (it’s not like I sell 50 cars a month) I mainly do transfers and am going to get my sot this year to sell suppressors for the main part as I’ve had requests.

I don’t sell new guns. Very few only when I find some deals and sell them at blow out prices. But I do look around for used stuff all over and buy those to resell.

Not a huge moneymaker for me overall but it’s more of a hobby and hopefully results in someone sending someone to purchase a car from my primary business etc.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 6:37:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I was convinced that I could do a better job than the crotchety old guy who owned the only brick and mortar gun store in the county
I figured I'd build up a clientele as a part time dealer and then go full time when I retired.
Things change
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:59:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was convinced that I could do a better job than the crotchety old guy who owned the only brick and mortar gun store in the county
I figured I'd build up a clientele as a part time dealer and then go full time when I retired.
Things change
View Quote
What changed?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:58:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What changed?
View Quote
A competitor opened his doors only a few miles down the road; he's doing a good job at what he does, with sales and gunsmithing services. Too close to be going toe to toe with each other as competitors.
Personally, divorce etc changed my career plans.
I'm happy to keep the FFL thing going as a part time gig for now
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top