Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2019 10:04:32 PM EDT
So I got my LLC, city business license and surprisingly got past the zoning hurdle.  My HOA covenants are pretty restrictive on home business.  Will the IOI ask about it during the inspection?
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 10:21:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm about to start the home based FFL deal once I get my EIN and llc paperwork from my attorney.

No HOA to deal with, but how did you get by zoning?
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 10:27:03 PM EDT
[#2]
They said no retail.  I said "ok".  I put on my business license machining and gunsmithing, so I didn't send up any red flags with "gun business".  I honestly don't need to be able to do transactions at home anyway.  My focus will be custom pistols.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 2:33:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So I got my LLC, city business license and surprisingly got past the zoning hurdle.  My HOA covenants are pretty restrictive on home business.  Will the IOI ask about it during the inspection?
View Quote

Whether the IOI asks or not, you signed the application and likely indicated on Question 20 that you may lawfully conduct business at your premises. The IOI most likely will check before your meeting/inspection.

If your HOA covenants prohibit a specific type of business activity, you can't violate that. That would be cause for revocation of your FFL.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 2:36:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They said no retail.  I said "ok".  I put on my business license machining and gunsmithing, so I didn't send up any red flags with "gun business".  I honestly don't need to be able to do transactions at home anyway.  My focus will be custom pistols.
View Quote
Likely the HOA doesn't want a stream of customers or a flashing neon GLOCK logo in your front window. But you need to pin them down on exactly what is mean't....because your IOI may ask....."Uh, Assaulter wants to be licensed as a gun dealer and manufacturer, is the HOA okay with that?". Imagine the answer he will get.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 4:04:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Likely the HOA doesn't want a stream of customers or a flashing neon GLOCK logo in your front window. But you need to pin them down on exactly what is mean't....because your IOI may ask....."Uh, Assaulter wants to be licensed as a gun dealer and manufacturer, is the HOA okay with that?". Imagine the answer he will get.
View Quote
That's the thing.  Obviously, having customers come to the house is not going to work, and I'm ok with that.  My plan is to build custom pistols and they can be transferred through another dealer.  I just want to manufacture on a very small scale.  I just don't know what to expect the IOI to ask and what paperwork they will want to see in regard to the HOA.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 4:07:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That's the thing.  Obviously, having customers come to the house is not going to work, and I'm ok with that.  My plan is to build custom pistols and they can be transferred through another dealer.  I just want to manufacture on a very small scale.  I just don't know what to expect the IOI to ask and what paperwork they will want to see in regard to the HOA.
View Quote
Have you actually asked the HOA about the particular venture you are setting off into?  HOA's can be a real pain in the ass, especially when it comes to anything to do with guns, you need to find out how they are interpreting their rules, so you have a plan of actions when the IOI asks you questions.

If you live under a HOA agreement you signed, there is really no way around getting the answers you will need to have.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 4:36:17 PM EDT
[#7]
That's what I'm trying to find out.  What are they going to ask, and what do they want to see?  I just talked to a regional IOI who said they don't as a matter of course look into HOA's unless it comes up for some other reason.  She made it sound like it wasn't a big deal.  But, I want to be as prepared as possible.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 5:51:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That's what I'm trying to find out.  What are they going to ask, and what do they want to see?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
That's what I'm trying to find out.  What are they going to ask, and what do they want to see?
I gave you your answer above. Your HOA covenants will detail what kind and type of businesses are permitted. If you haven't reviewed them you need to do that immediately. Waiting to see if the IOI asks you questions may be too late (if the IOI does their job and checks with the HOA).

If the IOI asks you "does your HOA allow this kind/type of business and what restrictions, if any are there?" You damned well better know the answer and have documentation. If they take your word for it, the IOI is an idiot and not doing their job.

I just talked to a regional IOI who said they don't as a matter of course look into HOA's unless it comes up for some other reason.  She made it sound like it wasn't a big deal.  But, I want to be as prepared as possible.
I know they DO CHECK in the Dallas area. I do the local transfers for an FFL whose HOA rules prohibit walk up customers. In fact, the IOI often knows your zoning and HOA restrictions before they ever show up for your inspection.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 9:42:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I gave you your answer above. Your HOA covenants will detail what kind and type of businesses are permitted. If you haven't reviewed them you need to do that immediately. Waiting to see if the IOI asks you questions may be too late (if the IOI does their job and checks with the HOA).

If the IOI asks you "does your HOA allow this kind/type of business and what restrictions, if any are there?" You damned well better know the answer and have documentation. If they take your word for it, the IOI is an idiot and not doing their job.

I know they DO CHECK in the Dallas area. I do the local transfers for an FFL whose HOA rules prohibit walk up customers. In fact, the IOI often knows your zoning and HOA restrictions before they ever show up for your inspection.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just talked to a regional IOI who said they don't as a matter of course look into HOA's unless it comes up for some other reason.  She made it sound like it wasn't a big deal.  But, I want to be as prepared as possible.
So did they issue his license with the stipulation of no transfers at his residence?
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 9:49:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

So did they issue his license with the stipulation of no transfers at his residence?
View Quote
yup
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 9:52:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Whether the IOI asks or not, you signed the application and likely indicated on Question 20 that you may lawfully conduct business at your premises. The IOI most likely will check before your meeting/inspection.

If your HOA covenants prohibit a specific type of business activity, you can't violate that. That would be cause for revocation of your FFL.
View Quote
HOAs have nothing to do with the law. Purely a contractual agreement.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 10:10:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Horseshit.
In most states, including Texas, the authority of an HOA is codified in state law: Texas Property Code
and
HOA laws by state overview
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 10:23:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes it is, but it can screw you on getting your FFL.  The ATF is not going to allow you to break that contractual agreement.
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 8:17:35 AM EDT
[#14]
This is the business use subparagraph from my HOA covenant (emphasis mine)...

No Lot or Improvement shall be used for business, professional, commercial or manufacturing purposes of any kind. No activity, whether for profit or not, shall be conducted which is not related to single-family residential purposes. No noxious or offensive activity shall be undertaken within the Project, nor shall anything be done which is or may become an annoyance or nuisance to the neighborhood. Nothing in this subparagraph shall prohibit an Owner's use of a residence for quiet, inoffensive activities such as tutoring or giving music or art lessons so long as such activities do not materially increase the number of cars parked on the street or interfere with adjoining homeowners' use and enjoyment of their residences and yards.
View Quote
I would only intend to do transfers. I live in a semi-cul-de-sac and have a front facing driveway that is always clear.

Thoughts on would I pass muster?
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 8:20:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
My FFL was denied by the ATF because the HOA doesn't allow home based businesses.  In VA, HOA covenants are protected by law
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 9:11:40 AM EDT
[#16]
The intent of HOA rules is to restrict and control the parking of cars and traffic.
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 9:47:10 AM EDT
[#17]
HOA's can go fuck themselves.
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 1:13:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The intent of HOA rules is to restrict and control the parking of cars and traffic.
View Quote
Uhhhh.... NO.

More than just “parking cars and traffic “
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 1:14:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
HOA's can go fuck themselves.
View Quote
Agreed. Fuckin despise fucking all HOA’s. Fuckin ridiculous bullshit that developers put in after finishing a development etc.
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 4:42:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Come on, this isn't a FHOA thread. Go to GD for that, please.
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 7:05:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I would only intend to do transfers. I live in a semi-cul-de-sac and have a front facing driveway that is always clear.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

No Lot or Improvement shall be used for business, professional, commercial or manufacturing purposes of any kind. No activity, whether for profit or not, shall be conducted which is not related to single-family residential purposes. No noxious or offensive activity shall be undertaken within the Project, nor shall anything be done which is or may become an annoyance or nuisance to the neighborhood. Nothing in this subparagraph shall prohibit an Owner's use of a residence for quiet, inoffensive activities such as tutoring or giving music or art lessons so long as such activities do not materially increase the number of cars parked on the street or interfere with adjoining homeowners' use and enjoyment of their residences and yards.

The text in red would seem to prohibit any type of business when it says "of any kind", but then goes on to mention tutoring and music or art lessons.
Transfers?.........yeah, you are going to materially increase the number of cars and foot traffic in front of your house. (I do )
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 7:12:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Your IOI will more than likely check with your HOA. They are pretty thorough.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 2:23:00 PM EDT
[#23]
I went through this with my HOA. The president really didn't mind but their lawyer didn't want to draft the letter the ATF wanted.

I found a self storage facility with office space for $200 / month. Best decision I ever made. Free electricity and wifi, and the leasing manager signs for all of my packages.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 5:56:56 PM EDT
[#24]
When i moved to my new neighborhood with an HOA, I sent them a letter beforehand and told them what I wanted to do.  My covenant has the same type of "no retail" language.  I got a letter back saying i was good to go.  When my IOI showed up to do my re-brief she asked me if I had an HOA and asked for their contact info.  I provided the info and a copy of their approval when she showed up for my inspection.  She told me she had called them (I didn't confirm that) but still good to go.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 7:13:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Looks like they are harder on you Texas boys.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 12:30:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Should have the license in 2-4 weeks.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 5:05:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Congrats for your license Assaulter. I am looking for a home base FFL. Is this site helpful https://www.ffl123.com/ffl-cost/ to get a license?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 5:07:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Congrats for your license Assaulter. I am looking for a home base FFL. Is this site helpful https://www.ffl123.com/ffl-cost/ to get a license?

Thanks in advance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks in advance.
No, don't waste your money.  Everything you need to know is on the BATFE web site.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 6:58:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
No, don't waste your money.  Everything you need to know is on the BATFE web site.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks in advance.
Or in this forum, if you search.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 9:32:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks in advance.
I agree, it's not needed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top