Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2018 1:02:22 PM EDT
I am going to list what I want to end up with (Goal), what I have, and known problems.  If you guys can chime in with solutions, it would be appreciated.  Product links with be in post #2

Goal:  Home alarm, home automation, IP cameras recording locally

What I have:

• Alarm: Honeywell Vista 21IP panel.  I hardwired the basement windows and doors.  1st floor will be wireless sensors.  Control panel is the Honeywell 6162RF keypad

• Home automation: Honeywell Vista Automation Manager [VAM], controlling 7 wired and portable zwave plugs.  I have a google home that I keep in the mancave, and would like to be able to control things with my voice.

• Cameras: 6 Sony Ipela PTZ cameras.  Recorded on a home built PC running Milestone XProtect GO.

Known Problems: Cameras are not viewable from the VAM GUI on my phone.  ZWave sensors controlled by the VAM cannot be used for alarm purposes.  VAM cannot interact with the Google Home.  ONly about 80% of ZWave things work with the VAM.  The alarm panel is a PITA to program.  I WOULD like to be able to control it remotely, but think I will have to buy an alarmgrid.com subscription to make that work.

Solutions (?):
Ditch the VAM. Go with a samsung smartthings hub.  
Ditch everything honeywell, go with an IRIS system from lowes that can interact with the Google home

Suggestions?
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 1:02:36 PM EDT
[#1]
VAM
Amazon Product
  • Honeywell Vista Automation Module, VAM, by Honeywell, Z-Wave Certified

Alarm panel:
Amazon Product
  • Ademco Honeywell Vista-21IP Control Panel W/ Onboard IP Communicator New In Box

Control panel

Sony cameras:
SNC RZ50

Milestone
https://www.milestonesys.com/solutions/platform/video-management-software/xprotect-essential/
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 9:19:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm sorry I've nothing to offer towards your query.

I just wanted to ask what you paid for the ipela cams, and if you purchased them refurbished or new.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 10:58:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I just wanted to ask what you paid for the ipela cams, and if you purchased them refurbished or new.
View Quote
@bigshooter81

It was an eBay "6 pack of cameras that were pulled from a working installation. No warranty" purchase.  One was DOA.  One has developed an issue where it appears to overheat and lose connectivity.  Sony stopped supporting them some time ago; I am unable to find the last firmware update for them.  They are good for practicing with, but I'd rather have spent the $ on 2 good, trusted cameras than these.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 9:16:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
@bigshooter81

It was an eBay "6 pack of cameras that were pulled from a working installation. No warranty" purchase.  One was DOA.  One has developed an issue where it appears to overheat and lose connectivity.  Sony stopped supporting them some time ago; I am unable to find the last firmware update for them.  They are good for practicing with, but I'd rather have spent the $ on 2 good, trusted cameras than these.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@bigshooter81

I was just curious because I looked up some of the ipela models and they are listed at $2.5k - $7k/ea.

Link Posted: 10/13/2018 10:35:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I have similar needs as OP but haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet. Seems like integration is still a big issue for many companies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top