Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2018 10:02:04 AM EDT
Are the nv settings on the holosun mini red dots usable?
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 10:21:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Oh yeah.  Basically any RDS is NV-compatiable; my opinion is NV settings are over-hyped.  With the modern technique of head-mounting vs weapons mounts, putting the RDS on one of the lowest settings works just fine.  This is because you aren't set perfectly in one spot, like before, and the limited time the tube is exposed to the reticle will probably not damage it.  As in any light exposure, you can damage the tube, but my opinion is this risk is minimal.

I have 3 Halosun 515's now.  I love 'em.  Maybe they aren't as robust as mil-spec, but they work pretty darn good for training.  I will probably upgrade them to the new mil-spec grade they've come out with eventually.

I had zero issues with using them in passive mode.  No reticle burn in, like you used to get on weapons mounted tubes.  I've been using a Hahn 1/2" riser under a ADM micro mount, with a helmet-mounted -14.  I just ordered the new Giessele SP mount, extra tall, for use as a stand-alone mount.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 5:08:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Concur. I have a circle dot 503c and a ACSS. Both excellent.

I’d consider the new “military grade models” but honestly the “normal” ones have proven to be pretty bomb proof so I’m not in a hurry to upgrade.

Maybe I’ll snag a military grade green reticle Holosun next Black Friday when I’m sure there will be deals to be had.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 5:15:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm with ya.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 5:48:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Don’t most ppl have the NV over the non dominant eye? How do you shoot a red dot with nv over the opposite eye?
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 6:17:06 PM EDT
[#5]
When going passive, you have to swing the -14 over (on the J-arm) to the dominate eye.  It's not that hard.  Of course with BNVD's you just knock it out.  The guys who originated this technique are running around with -31a's; it's just us guys with MNVD's that have to switch up if necessary.

So yeah, I will usually patrol with left eye NV, but do a quick switch up to right eye if I want to go passive.

I like the tall mount anyways, regardless of what sighting system I'm using.  So  run the RDS with that capability, regardless if I use it, or not.

So the upshot of all this is "NV settings" on RDS's are not really relevant to what I'm doing.  I'm usually using a laser, and when I do use a RDS, just about any low setting is close enough, including the Halosuns.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 9:55:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Good to know, thanks for the responses. I’m going to get one I think. My days of purchasing top tier gear for range toys and fun shooting is over. I just don’t have a budget big enough to justify a T1 or Eotech. These sights look legit for the price and intended purpose.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 12:25:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I have several and they work well for NV use.  The ones I have (HS503G and GU) don't have true NV settings but they still work well enough for a good gen 3, especially if you aren't hard mounting the NV behind it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 12:37:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I shoot primarily with a weapon mounted laser but was curious about the settings for another way to aim. I’ll probably still use the laser a lot but I’ve read some about the method of passive aiming through the red dot with Binos. I have dual mums and I’ve heard it’s much easier to look through a red dot with dual tube devices. Looking forward to trying it out.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 3:59:12 PM EDT
[#9]
You can make most red dots NV compatible with something like this on your NV objective, if you really have to:

https://www.amazon.com/ZOMEi-GLASS-Infrared-X-Ray-Filter/dp/B00XU8SK7E
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top