Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/12/2018 9:47:31 PM EDT
So, I'm now poor after buying a WP PVS14. I've read a lot of threads on this type of product and I'm more confused than when I started.

I know I want a vis/ir slaved laser. I can't decide if I want the illuminator or not. I'm pretty sure the Steiner (i2?) in the same price range doesn't have the illuminator. I'm honestly a little confused. There's a bunch of options. I think I saw the D2 has an IR illuminator but it's pretty visible?

Every thread seems to ask how is it going to be used. Definitely going to get some hogs and coyotes. Maybe a night shooting class. Plinking? I don't see shooting past 200 yards with most about 100 yards. I already have an IR weaponlight from a digital night vision scope I have. Would it be worth it to get it built into this unit?

I found one real review of this from Mrgunsngear posted below. Street price is about $600. Is it worth it? Anyone have one of these? My search of the armory with "holosun" came up empty on this particular one.

What is TNVC releasing "Very Soon" and should I wait???

Holosun LS321G Review: Budget IR Laser & Illuminator With Slaved Visible Laser
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:35:45 PM EDT
[#1]
For hunting you want a LAM that will have IR laser/illuminator with 1 press of a button/tape switch and a separate white light flashlight. For the distance you're looking at 0-200 a used or new Steiner D2 for 800-1k is everything you need and will get you out to 500 meters plus. All the other civilian model LAMs such as the APTIAL, i2, A3, 9007, Holosun etc the illuminator will fall flat on its face @ 75 meters outdoors in most conditions. I've yet to hear anyone complain about having too bright of an IR illuminator and saying damn this thing just reaches out too far. Also the D2 has a high and low IR illuminator output so it's great indoor or out. Black Friday is just 2 weeks away so I'd wait to see what kind of deals pop up.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:36:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I haven’t used a holosun Ir laser they do look interesting though. I think I would trust a US built model more with military lineage built into the system like the Steiner or Peq-15 in a class 1 version.

That said sometimes we buy the best we can swing at the time there’s always something better or will be in another six months. I kind of like the D2 it’s bigger but performance is awesome overall my first pick for a hunting laser/Illum.

The ATPIAL-C is a old favorite of mine the controls are real easy to use in the dark. While a class 1 Illuminator I still get solid 100+ yards average reach wise most nights. Yes, compared to the D2 or MAWL 100 yards isn’t that impressive but it’s plenty for my SBR’s firing subsonic ammo plus better than no illum at all any day of the week.

I just ordered a MAWL stupid money for a LAM guess I’ll see if it’s worth it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 7:55:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a friend with the Holosun on his pistol caliber PDW. He loves it. Works great for the short range this gun is intended for.

I agree with everything above though. Including the suggestion to wait for Black Friday.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 2:56:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:01:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm hoping the "coming soon" thing is the DILAD02
View Quote
I’m becoming annoyed that we haven’t found out yet... I hope I’m not holding out hope for a flop.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:28:04 PM EDT
[#6]
The steiner dbal i2 9007 for around 600 or d2 for around 900 if you want the visible laser.

These are the best deals.

The wmlx white/ir or arisaka white/ir are the best deals for dual use weaponlights.

Im a holosun fan, have several holosun optics, but you are cheating yourself if you pay 600 for a holosun over a dbal.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:39:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I got my Holosun for $355 (dealer cost), I’m treating it as a stop-gap until I get a Steiner. It works for now, but it’s not military grade.

Oops, I have the 221G not 321. Muh bad
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 8:57:44 AM EDT
[#8]
The dbal i2 9007 model is about the best value going for a military grade  housing  IR laser/IR Illum combo right now. If you can do without a visible laser then the 9007 makes a lot of sense for most buyers.

One thing I’ve learned after owning most all the dbal models, Atpial-c and now the MAWL is there is a big difference in IR Illum performance not only limited to range but also just how clean the IR Illum light is.

The DBAL D2 and MAWL both have very clean very strong IR Illum class 1 performance they are the kings.

Atpial-C gets a lot of cr@@ here about having a weaker Illum then say the dbal A3 or 9007. Honestly the dbal’s do have a slight edge in range because they can focus to a tighter beam while the Atpial-C has a fixed Illum spread/FOV.

Here’s the catch my Atpial-C fixed Illum broadcasted Ir light is much cleaner looking than my dbals which when you go to adjust the beam you get artifacts/swirls in the lights not a clean pure looking beam of it light. I kind of the the Atpial-C Illum better after a lot of use now it’s just much cleaner IR light and the  fixed focus works well at the ranges I use it at.

Also having a IR .1 low setting or diffuser cover helps a lot if your a hunter.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 11:20:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 12:39:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the input everyone.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 9:12:46 AM EDT
[#11]
The laser illuminator is a little anemic compared to a ATPIAL-C or a I2 Single Spectrum, but I mean for the price it's doing exactly what you need it to do
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top