Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2019 10:10:21 AM EDT
Holoson 507c or 403r (micro dot) on a lever gun? these work on a levergun? Has anyone done this? would they need to be mounted forward or on the receiver?
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 1:01:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't used either on a lever. I can offer some insight though.

I use a 507 on a pistol. Sight distance from the eye using a dovetail rear sight mount would be similar. In this case, I'd prefer the slightly larger 507 window over a 403. The 507 is also more compact and lighter, both a plus the farther out the optic is. If receiver mounted, either would be fine IMHO

Honestly,  I'd get the 407. Same features as the 507 except it lacks the circle and circle dot reticle options. I prefer the simple 2moa dot on my 507 G34 setup....
The 407 is also a bit cheaper.

Not sure on dovetail mount options. If you can find one that allows direct mounting of an RMR(507/407 is RMR footprint) I'd go with it over a pic rail dovetail mount. Lower and eliminates the need for the pic mount all together.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 11:36:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a Sig Romeo 5 on a Marlin 1894 SBL in 44 mag. It works great. Fast and accurate. On of the reasons I chose the  Romeo 5 was great reviews and it comes with 2 bases, a higher one fornAR type guns and a flat one which I used on my fun.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 8:39:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 503 on my 1894csbl and love it! I'm shooting 2 inch groups at 100 yards with my handloads and Aguila 158 grain loads. I wouldn't trade anything for the circle dot reticle, it's essential IMO if you are mounting the red dot way out like this. It's way easier to pick up.

Also, I found a cool way to keep the Torx key on the gun:

Link Posted: 6/21/2019 9:20:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I just got my Henry lever action back from the gunsmith. He installed a small rail for a Sightmark red dot to the receiver (similar to Holosun 507c). I got them as a package from Skinner Sights they offer a wide variety lot options for different lever guns. I had originally asked for it to be mounted to the top of my Octagon barrel, forward the receiver, but there was a miscommunication.

I think I may end up taking it back to have it corrected because where it sits now really feels too high. It makes me compromise my proper and natural cheek weld, and changing your posture to accommodate a guns ergonomics strikes me as poor training. The gun should be changed to accommodate you.

Depending on the model of your firearm, the dovetail rail mount that replaces your rear sight looks like a good option for round barreled guns.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 9:31:01 AM EDT
[#5]
With all that being said, I have 10/22 Takedown that I mounted a Bushnell TRS-25 way up forward, it looks similar to the Holosun 403r. It took some getting used to, such a small sight picture when its that far away with the clunkiness of the sight housing around. I kind of preferred having the small Sightmark up there because theres much less housing obstructing your view. But I don't believe I'll change the Bushnell, just took some getting used to.

Dot is about the size of a sprite cap, which I drill regularly at 20 yards, along with 20 Ga shells. and about the size for a beer can bottom at 50 yards.

Just some things to think about. I'd try both style sights and also try a scout set up rifle if you have the options to familiarize yourself before making a decision.

(I hope I don't get gutted for posting an auto in the lever gun forum .)
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 2:43:25 PM EDT
[#6]
My Marlin 1894 came with the XS rail, so that's what I have used so far.  I also had a Vortex Sparc II sitting on the shelf gathering dust, so I put that on to start.  After using it for a while, I may move to something like the Vortex Razor red dot to give it a lower and less-obvious profile.  EGW makes a dovetail mount for that, which I'm also considering, as it sits a hair high (not a huge deal with a red dot, but I'd prefer it down closer to bore.)  Most likely, it will be a two-step change with a re-evaluation in between with the Razor on the XS rail.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top