Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Site Notices
11/2/2022 4:30:06 PM
Posted: 4/27/2022 11:00:16 PM EST
[Last Edit: TT4life]
Earlier this year I purchased a Hogster 25 from nightgoggles.com. I tested the unit and then put it in my safe within its case without batteries in it. I tried to test it out tonight and the unit would not turn on. I tried new batteries but that didn’t work. Any ideas as to what it could be?  I also made sure the battery cap was on properly. Thanks.
missing
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 11:28:56 PM EST
[#1]
My guess is the battery cap looks like it is on properly but it isn’t right.  My friends won’t turn on sometimes and it’s always the battery cap. I know you said you tried it but it’s worth another shot.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 11:31:09 PM EST
[#2]
You can always use the cable and hook it up to an external battery to see if it turns on.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 9:19:56 AM EST
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bassman2:
You can always use the cable and hook it up to an external battery to see if it turns on.
View Quote

Awesome idea.  

I did that, and it did turn on. The power button doesn’t always engage in the menu settings so it might be that.

I did use a voltmeter to confirm the batteries were good just to rule that out.

I played with the battery cap for an hour last night and no luck. It snaps into place and I apply pressure around the edge to ensure a snug fit.

Any experience with Berings warranty procedures?  I think something is up with the power button.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 11:57:02 AM EST
[#4]
No experience with warranty...

With the unit on (external battery) does the unit zoom when you hit the power button?

Link Posted: 4/28/2022 12:01:21 PM EST
[#5]
Triple check the battery cap. I had this happen.

It can look 100% like it’s correctly closed but not actually be. If that’s not the issue then reach out to berring optics and have them fix it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 11:06:15 PM EST
[#6]
Originally Posted By Bassman2:
No experience with warranty...

With the unit on (external battery) does the unit zoom when you hit the power button?

View Quote

At times yes.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 11:46:30 PM EST
[#7]
I have a Super Yoter and when I met with one of the Bering reps he specifically mentioned several times to make sure the battery cap gets put back on correctly. "Two clicks"
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 1:59:03 PM EST
[#8]
If the unit powers on by connecting it to external, you have narrowed it down to either batteries, battery door, or power button most likely. On the original Hogster 25 and 35, they turn on as soon as it senses power from an external batter pack. On the Super Hogster, Vibes, and Yoters, you have to press the Power button to turn it on once connected. If the power button responds every time you press it once the unit is on, then it probably is not the button. I have heard of a few Bering thermals where a button was unresponsive. It seems to get worse when it is colder also, so this is quite possible, it is your issue.

If the power button seems to be responsive, then it is either the batteries or the battery door. If the unit turns on for a split second, and then you see a red flash, this is a sign the batteries are super weak or producing a voltage the Bering thermal doesn't like, and it is shutting down to make sure you don't damage the thermal. I would contact the dealer you bought it from, and make sure it isn't something you are doing or not doing correctly. If you bought it from Night Goggles, just send me a PM, and we will get this taken care of.

As for Bering service/support, if indeed it is something not working as intended, I would recommend you call 817-453-9966 and continue calling until you talk to a live person. They will provide a shipping label and get it taken care of for you.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 10:24:01 PM EST
[#9]
Had mine out last night and it kept shutting off when I shot. Mounted on a Ruger American Ranch in 5.56. Always powered back up but irritating. Did it about 4 times. Will look at battery door.
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 6:39:53 PM EST
[#10]
Originally Posted By distrflman:
Had mine out last night and it kept shutting off when I shot. Mounted on a Ruger American Ranch in 5.56. Always powered back up but irritating. Did it about 4 times. Will look at battery door.
View Quote

My Super Yoter did the exact same thing, even with an external power source.  

I sent it in last week for warranty work.  I have not yet heard back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top