Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 12/15/2018 10:12:02 PM EDT
What can you tell me about the hoffner fixed blade knives? The beast truly looks like a beast of a knife!
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:03:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I have the Hoffner Hand-Spear fixed blade.  Given the blade material (mediocre), the design and sheath system still makes its a good value.  My only design complaint is that it's handle-heavy.  I think it would be better balanced if the handle was tapered or had more holes drilled through to lighten.  Despite that, it's still fast in the hand and a stout blade, reminiscent of the old M7 bayonet blade profile.  I do wish they had offered a sharpened back of the blade, but it's not a deal breaker for me.

The sheath is excellent and makes a great carry system. I've carried mine inverted on my plate carrier with zero issues.  I did add a "post" and used a small piece of bungie cord to on the handle as a little extra retention security.  I do like the somewhat customization you can do on the website...nice touch that's not necessary, but adds something different.  How does it perform?  Pretty good for what it is.  I've only done some drills on cardboard, but it handles well and the index point takes some getting use to if you're using it to transition the knife between different holding methods.  It's a stabber, not a slasher.

Again, the steel choice isn't spectacular, but for a semi-customized blade and excellent sheath system, it's a decent value if it's a design you're looking for.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 2:01:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I also have the hand spear, great EDC (in a pack). Brian was one of my firearms instructors in the police academy in the early 90's, good people.  He did some slick custom engraving on a folder for a gift for my dad as well.  The hand spear is just a simple design that lends itself to quick transition of rear to forward grip.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 8:03:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Email came in from them today saying they'll double any gift certificate purchase $50 or more...guessing it's a very limited time offer, maybe thru Xmas? All you have to do is purchase the GC, they'll double it and email the GC so you'll have it in time to gift..
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top