Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2020 4:58:09 PM EDT
Need help picking some plates and a carrier.

Plates
I'm looking for as light as possible while still being rifle rated. I also want the plate to be multi-curve. Ended up in the "3+" realm. I am willing to sacrifice the ability to reliably stop green tip in order to keep the weight down as much as possible. I have been looking at Hesco 3810s and Shot Stop Duritium III+ PA. Opinions between those two? Suggestions with similar stopping power, dimensions and price range?

Carrier
Also, trying to decide on a plate carrier. I used to run a Slickster and I liked it. I've heard good things from friends who use the Spiritus 119 and the JPC 2.0. I like the lower profile carriers that you can run slick (or as close as possible) or build up with a chest rig/mag pouches up front. Suggestions between those options or similar offerings?

Let me know if you need more info. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 5:24:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Need help picking some plates and a carrier.

Plates
I'm looking for as light as possible while still being rifle rated. I also want the plate to be multi-curve. Ended up in the "3+" realm. I am willing to sacrifice the ability to reliably stop green tip in order to keep the weight down as much as possible. I have been looking at Hesco 3810s and Shot Stop Duritium III+ PA. Opinions between those two? Suggestions with similar stopping power, dimensions and price range?

Carrier
Also, trying to decide on a plate carrier. I used to run a Slickster and I liked it. I've heard good things from friends who use the Spiritus 119 and the JPC 2.0. I like the lower profile carriers that you can run slick (or as close as possible) or build up with a chest rig/mag pouches up front. Suggestions between those options or similar offerings?

Let me know if you need more info. Thanks.
View Quote

3810 is special threat rated for not only M855 but also JSP .30-06. Do you mean the 3800? The 3800 is lighter, 0.30" thicker and probably going to be cheaper from Saber Solutions. Between the two I'd go with the Hescos.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 6:01:57 PM EDT
[#2]
3810 stops M855. I had similar goals and that's the plate I went with. I'm very happy with it.

My favorite carriers are Crye and Esstac.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 9:26:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Hesco 3810s, have them and love them, extremely light weight for what they stop.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 12:20:55 AM EDT
[#4]
The 3810 and Duritium III+ are not really comparable as the 3810 is going to be heavier due to having a ceramic strike face.

Shot Stop's decision to use III+ is a misleading in my opinion as the de facto industry standard has been to use the + moniker for the capability to stop M855. If you want to look at a comparable plate, I'd suggest looking at the 3800 which is probably the lightest III plate on the market at 2.3 lbs for a medium SAPI. Compare this to the Shot Stop at 2.9 lbs for the same size and cut.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 2:03:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By patriot_man:
The 3810 and Duritium III+ are not really comparable as the 3810 is going to be heavier due to having a ceramic strike face.

Shot Stop's decision to use III+ is a misleading in my opinion as the de facto industry standard has been to use the + moniker for the capability to stop M855. If you want to look at a comparable plate, I'd suggest looking at the 3800 which is probably the lightest III plate on the market at 2.3 lbs for a medium SAPI. Compare this to the Shot Stop at 2.9 lbs for the same size and cut.
View Quote

@patriot_man

Thank you for the info. So since you seem to be able to read between the lines of what I'm trying to ask: any other suggestions? The 3800 looks like not enough plate, 3810 seems to cover the bases. I essentially just want the lightest and lowest profile plates possible, preferably rated for green tip, but they don't need to be.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 2:51:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
@patriot_man

Thank you for the info. So since you seem to be able to read between the lines of what I'm trying to ask: any other suggestions? The 3800 looks like not enough plate, 3810 seems to cover the bases. I essentially just want the lightest and lowest profile plates possible, preferably rated for green tip, but they don't need to be.
View Quote

I think the 3810 is really hard to beat for a III+ plate. Personally, I can't think of anything else that comes close to weight, thickness, and capabilities.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 9:51:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 1:50:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I think the 3810 is really hard to beat for a III+ plate. Personally, I can't think of anything else that comes close to weight, thickness, and capabilities.
View Quote
The 1092 from RMA is pretty damn close. It is a little thicker than other III+, but it's still under 5lbs, multi-curve, and under $300 plate. I think the only performance aspect I wish they would improve would be M855A1 coverage @ 3000 fps. The lack of backface on this plate after my testing was downright crazy.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:35:21 AM EDT
[#9]
I know there are many fans of Hesco plates here, and rightly so.  But I went with the Stop Shot Special Threat plates.  I know and train with individuals who have tested them, and now carry them in their businesses.  Hesco is great but sometimes hard to get and expensive.  As an alternative, the Stop Shot is there, at a weight and price point that I can live with.  Some say they don't have a track record like Hesco, and that's true, but I thought they looked worth the risk.  This is an emergency piece of kit for me, not daily use.  So factoring that in, I think it's a good alternative.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 9:44:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I know there are many fans of Hesco plates here, and rightly so.  But I went with the Stop Shot Special Threat plates.  I know and train with individuals who have tested them, and now carry them in their businesses.  Hesco is great but sometimes hard to get and expensive.  As an alternative, the Stop Shot is there, at a weight and price point that I can live with.  Some say they don't have a track record like Hesco, and that's true, but I thought they looked worth the risk.  This is an emergency piece of kit for me, not daily use.  So factoring that in, I think it's a good alternative.  YMMV.
View Quote
Tencate has a great track record and makes quality products, so there's no real risk.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 12:57:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Huh I did not know they were Tencate.  OK GTG.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 2:15:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Huh I did not know they were Tencate.  OK GTG.
View Quote

On the other hand I would look closely at Shot Stops's data, ratings for their plates, and cross reference with Tencate's data sheets. The plates are Tencate but some of the things that Shot Stop is claiming with their plates do not match up or their testing shows that their standalone rated plates are tested with trauma backers.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 2:35:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Ah good to know, thanks again.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 5:01:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Shotstop claims to me that even though TenCate has part #s = to that of SS, they are not the same plates.  This is one of those misleading things about the armor industry. You have sellers claiming to make armor, and they do every bit as they can to hide the fact that they are simply private label reselling a larger manufacturer's plate. And there's nothing wrong with them private labeling, but it seems being transparent about the source of your products would inspire consumer confidence.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 4:52:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Huh that's no shit.  Transparency in the BA industry; what a concept.  All I know is the guy I bought them from did his own live-fire testing of them, documented it, so I know exactly what might happen when shot with M855, and M193.  All the certs and talk are nice, but actually watching them get shot to destruction was the deal for me.  As always, YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 11:50:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Huh that's no shit.  Transparency in the BA industry; what a concept.  All I know is the guy I bought them from did his own live-fire testing of them, documented it, so I know exactly what might happen when shot with M855, and M193.  All the certs and talk are nice, but actually watching them get shot to destruction was the deal for me.  As always, YMMV.
View Quote
Yep, and that's what I do a lot of. Their III+ GT is a very nice SRT plate for almost all 5.56 threats including M855A1

Can This Armor Stop M855A1? ShotStop Duritium GT

Link Posted: 5/29/2020 1:03:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Hey there you go.  Yeah I mean Fed certs are nice, I'm sure it's good for what it is, i.e. whatever testing protocol is involved that they deem necessary to the problem.  But it's hard to beat seeing a plate being tested to destruction; you can see exactly how many hits of 855/193 it takes before penetration happens.  I'm sure someone will think that's not official testing protocol or whatever, but, it works for me.  

Link Posted: 5/29/2020 2:41:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Can you just buy the tencate version somewhere?
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 8:28:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Can you just buy the tencate version somewhere?
View Quote

Yes, Tencate CR-2000SA.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 1:29:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yes, Tencate CR-2000SA.
View Quote
Awesome. Thanks.

Any issues putting such a skinny plate in carriers that will accept plates twice as thick? Seems like it would flop around in the plate bag /pocket.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 1:49:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Awesome. Thanks.

Any issues putting such a skinny plate in carriers that will accept plates twice as thick? Seems like it would flop around in the plate bag /pocket.
View Quote

Yup that could be an issue unless your plate carrier has some stretch material built into the plate bags such as the JPC or it's a carrier that hugs the body like a Spiritus LV119 or similar.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 10:55:49 AM EDT
[#22]
green tip is too prevelent to skip IMO. if you are going rifle rated go 3+ at a min IMO.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 11:12:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
green tip is too prevelent to skip IMO. if you are going rifle rated go 3+ at a min IMO.
View Quote

Agree.

There were some REALLY cool ultra light lvl3 plates I was considering. Stupid light, like 2.4lbs.

But there's so much 855 around I couldn't pull the trigger on it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top