Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 3/29/2023 3:22:22 PM EDT
TLDR: Heretic Knives is NOT standing behind their warranty when I received a BRAND NEW $600+ knife with a clear manufacturer's defect on it.

I've owned a good ~dozen+ Microtech knives over the years - ALWAYS absolutely perfect. Thought I would try their sister company Heretic Knives (or at least the son TJ Marfione, don't know their official business relationship) for the first time... Not happy so far - Heretic is NOT standing behind their knives.

I bought Heretic's Manticore X Bounty Hunter OTF knife. The 'special edition' one which costs literally DOUBLE their standard/regular Manticore X model ($308 vs $615). Bought it from an official dealer, and the blade serrations are defective (smaller teeth on the serrations weren't cut-out properly in several areas - supposed to be uniform all the way down the blade). I know, I know, not a massive defect (although NONE of my Microtechs, or way, way, cheaper serrated knives have ever had this issue...), but when this is a $600+, hand-finished, nearly mid-tech model, definitely something that shouldn't be there, and a clear-cut case where their warranty should come in – which states they warranty their knives "against defects in manufacturing, material and/ or workmanship".

After sending in closeup pictures, Heretic agreed with me that it was in fact defective, and I was told they WOULD replace the blade - awesome! So I mailed it back... couple weeks later my dealer sent me an update screenshot of an email from Cory Driskell, Heretic's General Manager, saying it was already getting recoated (which I assume meant either they were somehow able to make those missing cuts in the existing blade, or more likely were doing the final coat to a completely new blade for it – otherwise why would they tell me it was already in that final finishing stage?).

(fyi I believe the 'They' here, plural, was the other bounty hunter which the dealer also got with a defect in the blade - serrations + the "CPM Magnacut" logo was chopped-off and ran off the edge of the blade...)

Heretic has now written saying they're unable to fix the knife... i.e. WILL NOT HONOR THEIR WARRANTY. No further information was given - even when I asked why they would A.) agree to replace it, and B.) furthermore even tell me it was in the final coating stage... only to renege at a later date...

Thankfully since this was brand new the dealer will refund me, but what recourse does the dealer have now? That's not right to the dealer either if the knife can't be fixed (hope he can send it in for a refund, but my faith in Heretic, needless to say, is nil right now). I would also understand if this was a super old model and parts (the blade) just aren't available anymore... but this was literally JUST released. I guess this post is just a buyer beware that Heretic doesn't stand behind their knives... I was totally eyeing up the new Cleric II and the Heretic Nephilim dagger as well... but if a company can't stand behind their products –as they've clearly demonstrated here– I don't think that's a risk I'm willing to take.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:35:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
TLDR: Heretic Knives is NOT standing behind their warranty when I received a BRAND NEW $600+ knife with a clear manufacturer's defect on it.

I've owned a good ~dozen+ Microtech knives over the years - ALWAYS absolutely perfect. Thought I would try their sister company Heretic Knives (or at least the son TJ Marfione, don't know their official business relationship) for the first time... Not happy so far - Heretic is NOT standing behind their knives.

I bought Heretic's Manticore X Bounty Hunter OTF knife. The 'special edition' one which costs literally DOUBLE their standard/regular Manticore X model ($308 vs $615). Bought it from an official dealer, and the blade serrations are defective (smaller teeth on the serrations weren't cut out properly in several areas). I know, I know, not a massive defect (although NONE of my Microtechs, or way, way, cheaper serrated knives have ever had this issue...), but when this is a $600+ special model, definitely something that shouldn't be there, and a clear cut case where their warranty should come in – which states they warranty their knives "against defects in manufacturing, material and/ or workmanship".

https://i.imgur.com/Pz2NViHl.jpg

After sending in closeup pictures, Heretic agreed with me that it was in fact defective, and I was told they WOULD replace the blade - awesome! So I mailed it back... couple weeks later my dealer sent me an update screenshot of an email from Cory Driskell, Heretic's General Manager, saying it was already getting recoated (which I assume meant either they were somehow able to make those missing cuts in the existing blade, or more likely were doing the final coat to a completely new blade for it – otherwise why would they tell me it was already in that final finishing stage?).

https://i.imgur.com/Hvdk7Ytl.jpg
(fyi I believe the 'They' here, plural, was the other bounty hunter which the dealer also got with a defect in the blade - serrations + the "CPM Magnacut" logo was chopped-off and ran off the edge of the blade...)

Heretic has now written saying they're unable to fix the knife... i.e. WILL NOT HONOR THEIR WARRANTY. No further information was given - even when I asked why they would A.) agree to replace it, and B.) furthermore even tell me it was in the final coating stage... only to renege at a later date...

Thankfully since this was brand new the dealer will refund me, but what recourse does the dealer have now? That's not right to the dealer either if the knife can't be fixed (hope he can send it in for a refund, but my faith in Heretic, needless to say, is nil right now). I would also understand if this was a super old model and parts (the blade) just aren't available anymore... but this was literally JUST released. I guess this post is just a buyer beware that Heretic doesn't stand behind their knives... I was totally eyeing up the new Cleric II and the Heretic Nephilim dagger as well... but if a company can't stand behind their products –as they've clearly demonstrated here– I don't think that's a risk I'm willing to take.
View Quote

Yep!  Not a fan.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:40:44 PM EDT
[#2]
This has become more and more.of a problem with many high end manufacturera in a variety of fields
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 4:22:30 PM EDT
[#3]
If that was done by hand I would be fine with variations. If CNC or robot or however then not fine. Sounds like CS is taking the path of MSAR. My microtech is looking rough but has been a freaking great knife for many years.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 3:23:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This has become more and more.of a problem with many high end manufacturera in a variety of fields
View Quote

It's a shame too, because buying higher end, besides the quality of the product itself, is also for the warranty – knowing that even if it's years and years down the line and you have an issue they'll take care of you... which for Heretic Knives seems NOT to be the case. Buyer beware.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 8:07:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It's a shame too, because buying higher end, besides the quality of the product itself, is also for the warranty – knowing that even if it's years and years down the line and you have an issue they'll take care of you... which for Heretic Knives seems NOT to be the case. Buyer beware.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can’t wrap my head around the idea that a knife would cost as much as a gun.  I see how it is possible.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 11:04:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I can’t wrap my head around the idea that a knife would cost as much as a gun.  I see how it is possible.
View Quote

Not a fan of Randall Made Knives? OP, that is just horrible and I can;t believe that they wouldn;t make it right. Shame on them!
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 1:06:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Marfione isn’t synonymous with responsible.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 6:53:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Just wanted to add this, since I received a mind blowing response from Heretic Knives on my similar Reddit post. Probably easier to read by clicking on that link, but here's a screenshot... TLDR: Heretic Knives is literally saying I'm "out to damage [their] company for nothing"... in some alternate reality somehow... by me posting 100% what happened truthfully... what the heck is wrong with this company?

Link Posted: 5/16/2023 11:58:15 PM EDT
[#9]
On more than one occasion I had one of their knives in a cart then decided to go with something else.  Maybe I have a 6th sense
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 12:39:47 PM EDT
[#10]
The Marfiones are known for being customer service slacks and for all kinds of drama with other makers/designers over the years. I own a few Microtechs but I just avoid all their products now.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top