Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2021 8:10:21 PM EDT
I’m thinking my next rifle may be one of the above in .45-70 or possibly the Trapper model.
Can anyone that knows these chime in on their opinion? Pros/cons?
Also, in the current time frame these are not that available so I may be in the market for one. I’m still hoping the ammo will become slightly more available.
Thanks for any i put
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 8:34:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 8:40:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I went with Henry X (45-70, 357, and 44). Very pleased.  I like the made in the USA thing, the availability (45-70 purchase locally and the other two via GB), the relative price, and the fit, feel, and performance of the Henry

Link Posted: 7/17/2021 8:40:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here is one in stock: Henry X Model Lever Action Centerfire Rifle
View Quote

I have that exact rifle which I purchased from Rural King.  I am very pleased with the performance as I ran a wide variety of .44 reloads without any problems.   As far as 45/70's I have a Marlin GBL and not the dark op's model so I can't help you their.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 8:49:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I don’t think the Marlin Dark models are worth the premium they are commanding nowadays. I have a 336 Dark/30-30 but got it pre-craziness.  I have the Henry X in 45 colt/44 mag/357 and I have the Marlin 1894 CST and Dark in 357. I had a Henry 30-30 as well.   So not the calibers you are talking about but here is my general thought in comparing modes/brands:

The Henry’s are a solid  option and I do like the tube loading but they feel heavier and clunkier thank their Marlin counterparts.  The Henry's are within a pound or so of the Marlins but the handling feel is significant in my opinion.
The Henry barrels are heavier.   But they are still relatively reasonably priced. I wouldn’t buy my Marlins at today’s rates and would stick with the Henry’s. I like the Marlins better though.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 8:53:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Buy the one that’s currently being manufactured and supported. If that’s not the one you want wait for the other to be made and supported.

That’s my advice.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 1:31:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 1:57:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I’m thinking my next rifle may be one of the above in .45-70 or possibly the Trapper model.
Can anyone that knows these chime in on their opinion? Pros/cons?
Also, in the current time frame these are not that available so I may be in the market for one. I’m still hoping the ammo will become slightly more available.
Thanks for any i put
View Quote

Since you mentioned the Trapper, is non threaded ok?

https://www.finfeatherfur.com/henry-hen-lvr-side-gate-45-70-b-rnd/
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 10:29:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I recently got a Henry X in 45lc and couldn't be happier with my choice. Marlins will supposedly be back this year, but we shall see. Hopefully Ruger will get them on track, better than Remington.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 7:23:07 AM EDT
[#9]
If you change your mind here's a Henry X in .44 Mag in stock ata great price.

Henry X .44 mag
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 12:10:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Buy whatever you can find at a non hamstring stretch standing price.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 12:38:26 AM EDT
[#11]
I like the Darks personally - but now is a bad time to find one.  There was never much excess production of them - they were all made in the final days of Remington.  I don't think Remington really cared to sell many.  My gun shop could not get their orders filled.  About the only one they had in stock for any period of time was the 30-30.  I did manage to get a 357 off the shelf - the 44mag and 45/70 took a long time stalking gunboker to get a decent price - and the 44mag was snagged right before things went to shit again.

I hope that Rugar will get them back into production - but they were already premium priced, and I can only fear what the post Covid MSRP might be.

I really wish I could have picked up one of the nitrite barrel 45/70's (SS nitrite barrel with a dark green stock).  It was funny, I think Marlin kept them on the websites big bore picture for 2 years after they stopped production.  By the time I wanted one of those, the only option was custom shop at over $2500 - I did not want it that bad by a long shot.

---
Henry keeps refining their 45/70.  Eventually they will probably release one that grabs me...  They are getting closer and closer...  Technically I kind of have one already - but it is their 410.  It looks great, but it is not quite what I prefer now - too shiny, plus not threaded (of course not - its a 410).
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 12:16:44 AM EDT
[#12]
You ever get one or the other?

I handled some Henry X rifles at Scheels today and they are really cool. Sold off my Rossi 44 a while back and want back in.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 12:31:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Love my model X in 45lc. Running my hybrid on it and it's crazy quiet.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 12:43:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you change your mind here's a Henry X in .44 Mag in stock ata great price.

Henry X .44 mag
View Quote

Thanks for fucking up yet another link Avant....

Lets see if either of these make it through... https://www.rkguns.com/henry-big-boy-x-model-44-mag-44-special-lever-action-4rd-17-4-rifle-h012x.html
   www.rkguns.com/henry-big-boy-x-model-44-mag-44-special-lever-action-4rd-17-4-rifle-h012x.html

The Henry .44 is listed as 1:20 twist - would this be better or worse for heavy subsonics than the Marlin?
update - I found a reference to the Marlin having a 1:38 twist, so that one is right out for me. :-\
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 7:54:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The Henry .44 is listed as 1:20 twist .......
update - I found a reference to the Marlin having a 1:38 twist, so that one is right out for me. :-
View Quote

There many old threads here about twist rates, but the search sucks....
marlins in 44 are 38inch twist except for the dark which is 20inch.  

I shot 300gr xtp subsonic in my 38inch twist marlin with no problems.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 10:52:58 AM EDT
[#16]
This guy says the Dark .44s are one in ten (5 minutes in). No idea, never shot one, and the Marlin site no longer show individual models' specs. It'll be interesting to see what Ruger does here.

Shooting 400gr Subsonic Ammo in my Marlin Dark 44 Magnum Levergun
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 12:29:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This guy says the Dark .44s are one in ten (5 minutes in). No idea, never shot one, and the Marlin site no longer show individual models' specs. It'll be interesting to see what Ruger does here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtG_EoGH4qY
View Quote

My guess is that's a typo on the Remington website. Anything is possible but that's a super fast twist for 44 mag. Twice as fast as most of the faster twist rates.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top