Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2020 11:58:41 AM EDT
Anyone gotten some time on a henry model x?  I have one of their .22s and love it to death.  Shot several of my dad's .357 levers as well and I've got the itch.

I want to go with a modern twist for fun at night suppressed and under nods.  The Henry x seems perfect out of the box with threads, a pic section up front, and a spot for a red dot.  Just add a sling and a shell holder on the butt and youre in business.

Not seeing too many reviews online that arent paid so wondering if anyone has any insight.  Any issues with this first gen?  For ~$800 seems awesome.  Not decided on .357 or .44 mag yet either.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 10:01:54 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a Henry.   None of the changes they did are rocket science.   Fairly simple in the big scheme of things.   I wouldn't hesitate.  Oh and 44 for me!!

Doc
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 10:20:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a few of them, they are nice rifles. It comes out of the ox with what I normally have to charge hundreds of dollars for in upgrades. ExMples being the lever, a more flexible loading gate, threaded barrel etc...

My only gripes, that shitty trigger linkage Henry uses which affects the trigger pull. The 357 is threaded to 5/8x24, not 1/2x28. It comes with no picatinny optic rail. If you get a rail, get a Rangerpoint or Skinner model, not the factory Henry one.

Link Posted: 5/7/2020 2:36:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Love mine. I have one in 357. Shooting 130 grain .38s in it with my Tirant 45m is Hollywood quite. Seriously scary mouse fart, pellet gun sounding.

This was my first Henry gun. I was wanting a 357 threaded. I was hoping for the Marlin dark, but I ran into the Henry local and bought it. Glad I did, this gun is IMO smoother and nicer than a Marlin. Plus I really like what I read about the company. The owner gives you his email address and phone number in their catalog, in case you ever have a problem. Plus all the charity work for children.

Don’t hesitate. Do it!
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 3:08:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I would love the X, but more than that I want them to produce a King Gate all weather .357; all they would have to do is take an X receiver and put it in the All Weather assembly line, and there you go.

I hope the X is just the start of great things for Henry
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 9:02:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds all positive from the looks of it!  The thread pitch is an odd one for .357 but I already have a 5/8 x 24 piece for the can I'll be using so nbd.  Seems pretty split on the .357/44 front.  Scary quite 38s while wearing nods sounds awesome though...
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 9:37:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds all positive from the looks of it!  The thread pitch is an odd one for .357 but I already have a 5/8 x 24 piece for the can I'll be using so nbd.  Seems pretty split on the .357/44 front.  Scary quite 38s while wearing nods sounds awesome though...
View Quote
I have zero experience with a suppressor (on purpose, I'm aware that if I shoot with one, next up will be SUPPRESS ALL THE THINGS and I can't afford that ), but supposedly .44 Mag is the most powerful round that can be "movie level" quiet with the right setups.

I do know that a .44 Mag lever has a bit more whomp on the buttplate than would be imagined offhand.  I also know that I stock .357 already, so Ammo commonality would make that an easy choice for me; YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 5:08:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I would like to see a side gate model of the traditional wood furniture and non threaded barrel. Not too interested in the tacticool Leveroo Henry, but I sure like the idea of the side gate
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 11:47:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By MrVest:
Seems pretty split on the .357/44 front.  Scary quite 38s while wearing nods sounds awesome though...
View Quote

44spl factory ammo  is almost all subsonic from rifle barrels so if you want subsonic you generally have to load your own.  
It's stupid quietif you go with fast pistol powders and subsonic velocities though.  My Rossi is one of my favorite guns.  
44/357 is super easy to load since it's straightwall brass and since your loading at such low pressures you don't have to be anally retentative about powder charges so you can load it very quickly.  

If you don't load the choice is 357 easy since more factory 38 ammo is subsonic(says people here, I don't have a 357 rifle).  If you load then it's a toss up, go with whatever caliber you already have/load.  

Also the carbon ring in the chamber when shooting spl ammo is a real thing, so I only load mag ammo to reduce that.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 8:41:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Solidly in the 44 camp,  thanks for all the advice.  I do load but looks like bullets arent the easiest to come by currently.  Will keep an eye out for one of these beautiful bastards, how are even the lever actions bought up rn?
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 1:32:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I have one in .44 mag and it’s awesome!  If you can find one for the ~$800 mark I’d jump on it... they are hard to find and a lot closer to the $1000 mark when you can get them.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 6:04:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Fwiw, my .357/.38 Henry prefers the longer .357 rounds and feeds them more reliably. I assume the .44s are the same way with mag vs spl
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 7:27:08 AM EDT
[#12]
@CaptShiess how is that red dot mounted on your Henry?  I don't see a rail?  It looks like it sits really low?
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 8:58:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
@CaptShiess how is that red dot mounted on your Henry?  I don't see a rail?  It looks like it sits really low?
View Quote

Yes, I used the marlin Burris fastfire Mount.  The front screw lines up perfectly and I had a local smith drill/tap for the back screw.  I love how clean it looks that way.  I’ll get some closeup pics.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 5:23:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Like that fastfire mount, may steal your idea.  Doing the back tap would be easy enough in my shop.  I'm seeing the 44mag pretty regularly at 950+ but trying to limit myself to more like 850.  Seems like it's a commercial success so I highly doubt Henry will stop rolling them out any time soon.  I can be patient for now.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 5:40:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yes, I used the marlin Burris fastfire Mount.  The front screw lines up perfectly and I had a local smith drill/tap for the back screw.  I love how clean it looks that way.  I’ll get some closeup pics.
View Quote

How come I've never heard of such a mount!?  
A close up picture would be great.  Is it low enough that you don't feel like you're putting your chin on top of the stock to see through it like a high mounted scope?  

You say drilled - you had the gun drilled or the mount drilled to fit a Henry?
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 5:43:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Like that fastfire mount, may steal your idea.  Doing the back tap would be easy enough in my shop.  I'm seeing the 44mag pretty regularly at 950+ but trying to limit myself to more like 850.  Seems like it's a commercial success so I highly doubt Henry will stop rolling them out any time soon.  I can be patient for now.
View Quote

@mrvest where in TN do you live?  
If you're willing to drive to Huntsville you can get a marlin or Henry and mail it off to be threaded for less than an X will probably cost you.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 6:00:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Appreciate the offer but the black does it all for me.  I like the black furniture, the length, the fact its already tapped for a scope, and the tiny pic up front for an ir laser.  Itll take a helluva deal to tempt me away.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 7:47:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

A close up picture would be great.  Is it low enough that you don't feel like you're putting your chin on top of the stock to see through it like a high mounted scope?  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s made for the 336 and I had it on my 1894 before I put the xs lever rail on it.  It actually lines up perfectly with the front hole on the Henry and just needs an additional hole drilled and tapped.  The contour is perfect for the top of the receiver too.  It’s a great little setup and perfect with the cheek weld on there.  It is just over the sights, not so much that you can co-witness, but you can use the rear lines in the venom to line it up with the front sight if needed.  Anyway, it turned out great!  You could actually use the mount on the back two mounting points without drilling/tapping, but I don’t like my red dots that close to the back.

Link Posted: 7/21/2020 8:20:34 PM EDT
[#19]
I had no idea Burris made that mount, that's pretty awesome.  

I'm gonna ask one more stupid question: is the Henry X a brass or steel receiver?  
I can't find an answer on their website.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 8:24:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Steel parkerized.  My only gripe is the barrel should have been parked to match the receiver.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 8:25:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I had no idea Burris made that mount, that's pretty awesome.  

I'm gonna ask one more stupid question: is the Henry X a brass or steel receiver?  
I can't find an answer on their website.
View Quote

Its steel.

FWIW, the brass receiver guns are all made in NJ, the steel receiver guns are all made at the Rice Lake WI factory
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 8:26:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Steel parkerized.  My only gripe is the barrel should have been parked to match the receiver.
View Quote

I think the Henry X's are blued and the Marlin Darks are parkerized
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 3:29:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Touched one in 45-70 today.  I was impressed that the plastic didn't feel cheap and plasticy like I expected.  I approve.  The sights are fiber optic front and rear, I really liked them.  

I'm a buyer when a 357 shows up locally for under $800 in either marlin or Henry - the race is on!  

It was $800 at Huntsville, AL cabelas.  I think they ship store-store don't they?
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 3:42:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Love mine. Excellent quality.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 4:10:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It's made for the 336 and I had it on my 1894 before I put the xs lever rail on it.  It actually lines up perfectly with the front hole on the Henry and just needs an additional hole drilled and tapped.  The contour is perfect for the top of the receiver too.  It's a great little setup and perfect with the cheek weld on there.  It is just over the sights, not so much that you can co-witness, but you can use the rear lines in the venom to line it up with the front sight if needed.  Anyway, it turned out great!  You could actually use the mount on the back two mounting points without drilling/tapping, but I don't like my red dots that close to the back.
https://i.imgur.com/0fZghMR.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/IdNL4FW.jpg
View Quote
Nice!  Thanks for sharing your ingenious solution.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 4:46:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Touched one in 45-70 today.  I was impressed that the plastic didn't feel cheap and plasticy like I expected.  I approve.  The sights are fiber optic front and rear, I really liked them.  

I'm a buyer when a 357 shows up locally for under $800 in either marlin or Henry - the race is on!  

It was $800 at Huntsville, AL cabelas.  I think they ship store-store don't they?
View Quote

Cabelas ships store to store; they may do so with Bass Pro too now that they own them
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 3:47:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have one in .44 mag and it’s awesome!  If you can find one for the ~$800 mark I’d jump on it... they are hard to find and a lot closer to the $1000 mark when you can get them.
https://i.imgur.com/NO3GuRe.jpg
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top