Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2019 6:41:58 PM EDT
I want a thumper for a range toy and I was wondering if anyone here has some opinions on which cartridge would be better for plinking?

Does either cartridge have problems feeding reliably? I read on wikipedia that the .45 colt wasnt used in rifles much due to a narrow rim.

Henry Big Boy Mare's Leg .44 Magnum
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 7:55:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Rossi Ranch Hand in .44mag. I love it!

I shoot .44 Special (or reduced load mags) all day long for practice and load It up with full power magnum loads for...well I haven’t really figured out yet

My group size is ~1/2 that of me shooting my 629 and the 12” barrel provides ~3x the muzzle energy compared to a 2” barrel.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 3:26:26 PM EDT
[#2]
The Henry Mares Leg is huge compared to the Rossi and Chiappa 1892 Mare’s Legs, and have the awkward tube loading ports. Reliability-wise, the .45 is fine, the old balloon head soft cartridge cases from the 1800’s had a rim nothing like that on modern ammunition. Thousands of CAS shooters use the .45 rifles way harder than casual plinkers with no problems.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 11:25:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 2:37:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Neither 44 mag or 45 Colt was chambered in the original Winchester lever guns. 44-40 was the main caliber of choice back then. Of course for revolvers 45 Colt was popular. Today 45 Colt works fine for a Winchester 73 or 92. 44 mag is a bit too much for the old weaker 73 model. But it will work find in a 92 style action. I have a Winchester 73 in 45 Colt and love it. Used to have a Winchester 94 in 44 mag, but sold it. It was a good little gun though for hunting. But the 92 action is better for pistol calibers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top