Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2017 11:54:34 PM EDT
Anyone have a Henry Big Boy Steel in .357? If so, how do you like it?

I've been looking at getting a Rossi .357 and my LGS had two for awhile in his shop. Well yesterday I went in and he had one left.  After talking to him, I ended up putting a Henry on lay away.  It's not in store yet, but he ordered the Henry for me.
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 11:59:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Henry Big Boy .357 mag. It is fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 12:01:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got the Big Boy in .45 Colt and it is a fantastic rifle.  The action is like butter and the accuracy is amazing.  I even love loading and unloading it much better than my Winchester with the side gate, no more sore thumbs and no more picking up unloaded ammo from all over.  I like the looks of the steel models but I really, really want one of the new Henry All Weather models in .44 magnum, they are fantastic looking as well as being impervious to the weather.  You made a great choice in the Henry.
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 6:23:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I did like the idea of the tube fed magazine.  I can't wait to pick it up
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 12:56:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Big Boy in .44 magnum and it is one of my favorite rifles. All of my friends insist I bring it up to the cabin when we fuck around for a weekend. They are incredibly accurate, super smooth and the stock trigger is VERY nice.

Henry makes very nice guns and has the best customer service in the industry, IMO. The stock on mine developed a small hairline crack after a few months of having it. I sent a picture to customer service via email and within 2 hours, I had a reply. I just had to give them my information and 4 days later, they sent me a brand new stock, no questions asked, no need to return the old stock. I used some wood glue and fixed the crack and kept the brand new stock for when I give the gun to my son when he gets older.

The only thing I would change is I wish they came with a gloss finish (or at least the option) instead of the matte finish. Not a big deal at all....
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 12:58:04 PM EDT
[#5]
One other thing I forgot. The only thing I changed out was I added the big loop lever. I got some big hands and the stock handle is too small. I think the big loop lever was like 70 bucks from Henry and well worth the price.

You're going to love it!
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 3:57:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Good to hear.  I debated getting the big loop, but ended up going with the standard size.  It doesn't get cold enough that often here to wear gloves.  If I decide I want the bigger loop later I'll just buy the loop

Thanks for the info
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 5:57:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good to hear.  I debated getting the big loop, but ended up going with the standard size.  It doesn't get cold enough that often here to wear gloves.  If I decide I want the bigger loop later I'll just buy the loop

Thanks for the info
View Quote
Correction. It doesn't ever get cold enough here to wear gloves.

Link Posted: 12/6/2017 9:43:39 PM EDT
[#8]
My wife bought me the All-Weather rifle in 45-70.  I don't even hunt, but I've got Ar's and ak's and a cz scorpian, and shotguns. and bolt actions, and 1911's, and single and doulbe action revolvers.  The only thing I didn't have was a lever gun.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 10:50:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the info

Hell its 43 here right now and people are bundled up like they are in Alaska
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 8:25:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Attachment Attached File

Love mine. Feeds everything I give it. Super quiet with 38spl. Probably my favorite firearm when I hit the range.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 8:34:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/289111/9EA14ACD-D484-4DDE-95CF-490D826F9B04-390307.JPG

Love mine. Feeds everything I give it. Super quiet with 38spl. Probably my favorite firearm when I hit the range.
View Quote
Can you load it with the can on it?
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 9:00:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/289111/9EA14ACD-D484-4DDE-95CF-490D826F9B04-390307.JPG

Bump.  Curious about that too.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 7:39:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Quoted:

Bump.  Curious about that too.
View Quote
Nope. 3 lug for the win.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 7:47:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Yep, Big boy Steel carbine, feed it cast 38's mostly....fun for clanking steel

I like the Marlins gate feed better, but the Henry is a blast just like their 22's
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 11:22:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Big Boy Steel in .357 is next on my list. Just can’t decide between the all weather or the blued...
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 12:17:01 AM EDT
[#16]
I went blued. Going to try and pick it up next week.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 1:28:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's funny because that is exactly why I won't buy one.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 1:03:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's awkward dealing with that tube trying reload out in the field.  That and it's almost 2 lbs extra weight and the Henry is a non-starter in my book.  My 2 Rossis in 357mag (24" rifle and 20" carbine) are light, compact, and a ton of fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 12:42:38 AM EDT
[#19]
This gun is on my short list to buy. I have the Henry .22 and it's a fun gun to shoot.
Link Posted: 12/29/2017 11:07:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Same here. Looked a couple in the local shop and the tube loader is the worst. I know I would lose the rod someday.
Link Posted: 12/29/2017 9:27:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Some people complain about no loading gate on Henry rifles,I have pinched my fingers enough in them,as far as unloading them it's a lot easier and safer to only have one round to lever out instead of 5 to 10 rounds.Any new lever guns that I will get will be tube loaded.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 11:27:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Some people complain about no loading gate on Henry rifles,I have pinched my fingers enough in them,as far as unloading them it's a lot easier and safer to only have one round to lever out instead of 5 to 10 rounds.Any new lever guns that I will get will be tube loaded.
View Quote
1st - If you'd simply lighten the loading gate spring you'd have no issues.  It's a simple mod, takes a couple minutes.

2nd - Not only is the Henry's mag loading design awkward to deal with, especially in the field, but it is also dangerous.  The idea of pointing the muzzle up towards your face and then dropping loaded centerfire rounds, primer down, on another rd, is not something anyone should ever consider.  The Henry rifles require you to violate a fundamental principle of gun safety; never point a gun in an unsafe direction.

3rd - The loading gate design of all the other leverguns is not only more convenient, it's also safer because it's design encourages the loader to point the muzzle in a safe direction; away from himself and pointed down towards the ground.

If the Henry were 1/2 the weight of the Rossi, made out of 24 carrot gold, and sold for $1, I'd never own one because it's design is dangerous.  Yes, they are pretty.  Yes, they have smooth actions.  No, they are not safe.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 11:47:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

2nd - Not only is the Henry's mag loading design awkward to deal with, especially in the field, but it is also dangerous.  The idea of pointing the muzzle up towards your face and then dropping loaded centerfire rounds, primer down, on another rd, is not something anyone should ever consider.  The Henry rifles require you to violate a fundamental principle of gun safety; never point a gun in an unsafe direction.

If the Henry were 1/2 the weight of the Rossi, made out of 24 carrot gold, and sold for $1, I'd never own one because it's design is dangerous.  Yes, they are pretty.  Yes, they have smooth actions.  No, they are not safe.
View Quote
I guess the Marlin model 60 and all tube loaded .22's are unsafe then too.  I put thousands of rounds through a Marlin model 60 and never had a round detonate in the tube or pointed the muzzle toward my face while loading.  The loading slot for the ammo is on the bottom of the tube magazine.  Very simple and convenient loading process (with an empty chamber) is the place the butt stock between your legs with the muzzle point away from you toward the sky at about a 45 degree an angle. Twist the magazine tube spring assembly and withdraw to allow access to the loading slot.  Drop cartridges in magazine tube.  Reinsert the spring assembly and twist to lock in place.  You can now point the muzzle at the ground and work the action to load a cartridge following all safety rules.  At no time during this entire process was the muzzle pointed anywhere but in a safe direction (defined as toward the ground or the sky not the operator or bystanders).  Please explain how you find this process unsafe?
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 3:10:44 PM EDT
[#24]
#1 When loading the tube it's a no brainier to tilt the muzzle away from you and in a safe direction. #2 When unloading without a loading gate and cycling the lever you have a live round in the chamber and the hammer is fully cooked and ready to fire,about as un safe as it gets, could be as few as 5 times or as many as 10 or more as it is unloaded.#3 Loading gate spring is not the problem,the round has to be pushed in far enough for the gate to come back up,my fingers are not that small.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 1:38:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Here is one I just built for a customer. With 158's and his Griffin 9mm can it's quieter than my MP5SD.

Link Posted: 1/5/2018 2:30:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Here is one I just built for a customer. With 158's and his Griffin 9mm can it's quieter than my MP5SD.

https://i.imgur.com/6Ef3IbQ.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/fWxUvN4.jpg?1
View Quote
Wow, that looks nice.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 2:43:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I guess the Marlin model 60 and all tube loaded .22's are unsafe then too.  I put thousands of rounds through a Marlin model 60 and never had a round detonate in the tube or pointed the muzzle toward my face while loading.  The loading slot for the ammo is on the bottom of the tube magazine.  Very simple and convenient loading process (with an empty chamber) is the place the butt stock between your legs with the muzzle point away from you toward the sky at about a 45 degree an angle. Twist the magazine tube spring assembly and withdraw to allow access to the loading slot.  Drop cartridges in magazine tube.  Reinsert the spring assembly and twist to lock in place.  You can now point the muzzle at the ground and work the action to load a cartridge following all safety rules.  At no time during this entire process was the muzzle pointed anywhere but in a safe direction (defined as toward the ground or the sky not the operator or bystanders).  Please explain how you find this process unsafe?
View Quote
Yes, I've got a Henry 22lr carbine and a Marlin 60 as well as an old Hi-Standard Sport King I got as a kid in the late 50's so I'm very familure with both loading a tube fed mag and dealing with the mag tube follower while loading.  The thing with the 22lr is that it's a rimfired cartridge so the bullet can't touch the primer like it always does with a centerfire and the fact is that a 22short, long, or long rifle can't be loaded via a loading gate as the lateral load on the bullet pushing it through a loading gate would cause damage to the rd because of the bullet's unique shape and soft lead makeup.

I know all the tricks of loading a tubular 22 magazine as I've done them myself likely longer than you've been alive.  What I'm saying is that the use of a loading gate on a centerfire cartridge is all around a safer method of loading the firearm; both from a very unlikely but possible detonation from dropping a centerfire cartridge primer first onto another round to a more likely issue of miss managing the muzzle while loading.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 2:46:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 2:47:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Once I saw that Henry did not have a side loading gate I have never really considered them again.   Never pinched my finger in the gate on my Winchester or Marlins.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 3:03:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I guess the Marlin model 60 and all tube loaded .22's are unsafe then too.
View Quote
Uhh...  rim fire does not equal center fire.  Different primer locations and risks.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 3:06:49 PM EDT
[#31]
While the tube may work perfectly fine the gate is superior in every way.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 9:33:17 PM EDT
[#32]
All gate lovers say how great they but no one has said anything about unloading one.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 9:56:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
All gate lovers say how great they but no one has said anything about unloading one.
View Quote
I unload it by shooting it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 10:05:30 PM EDT
[#34]
So when hunting and you don't have a  shot at anything you just shoot in the air until empty?
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 10:09:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
So when hunting and you don't have a  shot at anything you just shoot in the air until empty?
View Quote
I lever the action until it's empty like men have been doing for over 100 years. I had a tube load .22 when I was a boy, though.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 10:16:12 PM EDT
[#36]
That's how those old guns got so smooth ,they levered the rounds in the dirt then didn't get all the dirt off.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 11:50:10 PM EDT
[#37]
I bought a Henry in .44mag for Ohio deer hunting.  It's been a lot of fun on the range that I didn't expect it to be a favorite for. That was pre scope, but I'm sure it's still nearly as fun set up as a purpose rifle.

For a solid review. The fit and finish is meh, the action is ok, cycles fine enough but not buttery smooth, Accuracy depends greatly on bullets used. I've had 1.5-8" groups at 100 yards depending on ammo (and probably me). The trigger is nice, very little take up and a clean break. The fun factor is a perfect 10! The $750 cost negates the fit/finish and cycling things I knocked on earlier. All in all, I would buy again.

Here's a pic of it's worthiness.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 5:25:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
NEVER DO THAT!

Put the rifle on safe and unload the rifle.

If you have to actuate the lever to eject the loaded rounds, do so.

If you have to remove the tube from the magazine to remove rounds, do so.  Do not forget to eject the chambered round by actuating the lever.

Always check the rifle is actually unloaded.

2009 join date with only 25 posts, then a post with dangerous behavior,... hmmm.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 6:35:42 PM EDT
[#39]
I have watched and read several different subjects on the ar15 forums, there is a lot of good information here. What I have a problem with is when someone has chosen what they like and the reason they like it then someone starts saying how bad it is. If they don't like to bad.I have watched this same thing here before,just decided to say something this time.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 6:39:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
What I have a problem with is when someone has chosen what they like and the reason they like it then someone starts saying how bad it is.
View Quote
You mean like trying to convince someone how bad a rifle with a loading gate is?
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 6:53:20 PM EDT
[#41]
No different than your opinion of the tube.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 6:57:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
No different than your opinion of the tube.
View Quote
Except that you say you hate when people do the very thing you're doing.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 7:23:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
1st - If you'd simply lighten the loading gate spring you'd have no issues.  It's a simple mod, takes a couple minutes.

3rd - The loading gate design of all the other leverguns is not only more convenient, it's also safer because it's design encourages the loader to point the muzzle in a safe direction; away from himself and pointed down towards the ground.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well as far as number 2 I disagree.  You’re implying everyone uses bad technique.  I don’t even load like you describe with my 9422.   As a former mortar man I have lots of experience dropping hot HE rounds on to a primer pin without sticking my face over the muzzle.   I hold the rifle at a 45 degree angle and the opening of the tube facing up.  I drop the cartridges in the opening and they slide down at a moderate speed.  My face and hands are kept safe and the cartridges aren’t ever in free fall.

I hope that helps keep you and anyone else safe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top