Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2023 1:06:07 PM EDT
I’ve always had an interest in the AR7, but never purchased due to the reviews.

Everything I read now says it’s a good little plinker.

Anyone have first hand experience with the new Henry AR7?

UPDATE:

Thanks for all the replies in this post, I learned a lot.

I bought a Henry.  Cost was $299.

This would not be my only 22LR, and I already knew the ergonomics of this gun so this was not a problem for me.  I know there are better options, just something I always wanted.

Here is what I learned from you guys and put it to the test:

- round nosed HV ammo, and recommended in the manual
- snug the barrel after a few mags
- magazines are the feed ramps, so I kept my left hand on the barrel

- I also ran the bolt wet like an AR15

I used 3 types of ammo:

- Magtech 40 gr
- Sellier & Bellot 38 gr
- Federal 40 gr

100 rounds total so far with no failure to feed, fire, or eject.  I still need to adjust sights and my front sight is snug.  If it gets too loose when I adjust, I’ll use 100% clear silicone and sponge at the dove tail.  I can always use a razor blade to cut the silicone if sight ever needs replaced.  It looks to be shooting about a 2 1/2” group, a little low and to the right at 25 yards.  I’ll see if I can spend a little more time with this gun, adjust the sights and tighten up the group.

The butt cap was too loose and falls off, but Henry sent me a replacement in about 10 days.  I used the stiff side of Velcro on the stock to tighten up the cap which works, but it may sink faster!  I haven’t tried the new cap I received from Henry so I can’t tell you if it fits any better or not.  

I think the gun is worth $149.  After I spend some time with it, I’ll report back on accuracy and dependability around 500 rounds.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/19/2023 2:21:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Honestly not first hand, but everything I have read indicates the Henry version has a much better track record for fit finish  and function.

And Henry has a great reputation for CS if you have any issues.

I have often thought of getting one myself to stash in the car with my go bag, but have not done that yet.

My 2 cents, it was a great concept ( though various companies that made the design didn’t help its reputation turning out poor quality versions)

Today, there are several takedown options that didn’t exist even 10 years ago, like the various rugers and savages.

While the ruger is a good bit more expensive, it does have a solid reputation for function over any of the AR-7 rifles

Myself I balk at spending $400 + for a 22 to just sit in the car

Right now the cheapest option is the savage 64 which is street price the least expensive and though unrefined compared to the ruger, may end up being the better answer
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 2:44:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one but only got it cause my friend wanted $150 for it unfired. I put a few mags through it using half dozen types of ammo and had no malfunction
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 7:56:32 AM EDT
[#3]
My Henry AR-7 has been just fine. Its been reliable for hundreds of rounds of various ammo. I haven't scoped it but feel it shoots as accurately as I can aim the sights.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 8:46:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 8:14:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I have an old Armalite AR-7 and it's a nightmare, basically reduced to a wall hanger it's so unreliable.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 1:45:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 10:08:27 PM EDT
[#7]
If this was built as a true survival rifle and not some stupid gimmick, it would be a worthwhile piece.

While Henry has brought it a long way to a "working" platform; they made sure to cheapen it up enough to make their bucks...but little else.

The AR-7 is an excellent concept but it has never been more than either a developmental prototype (via ArmaLite) or just a plain gimmick (re: Charter Arms, U.S Survival and Henry)

If someone with a sense of honesty, integrity and a lick of sense sat down and really WORKED on the design from top to bottom, it could be a fine, fine little survival piece as I think ArmaLite (or at least Eugene Stoner) wanted it to be.

Here is what I'd do to the gun:

Return to either the lined aluminum barrel OR a specially designed carbon fiber barrel with a nicely designed and durable front sight that is adjustable for windage.  The rear sight needs to be of a better design and at least should have reference marks

The bolt group, (meaning the recoil spring set and guide assembly) should be a captive sub assembly.  The charging handle should not fall out if you look at the gun funny.  ( I had that happen once )

For God's sake put a disconnector in that thing.

Re-design the stock with the use of better materials and a bit better cavity liner.   Too, a more secure buttcap design would be nice.

That is the MINIMUM of what I would do if this were on my bench.

Link Posted: 1/26/2023 10:38:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Never had a Henry but at one time had two Charters and an Armalite disassembled trying to get one to work. If it was reliable it was wildly inaccurate, if accurate completely unreliable. The best of the genre is either the Ruger Take Down or better still the Marlin Papoose. I favor the Marlin.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 11:08:58 PM EDT
[#9]
My experience was 30 years or so ago, so pre-Henry. The AR-7s that I messed with were prone to “wallow out” the notch on the receiver that indexed the barrel.  The were not very accurate (minute of oil can at 25 yds). The examples I shot were fairly reliable. This was ~5 out of the many that came through my dad’s gun shop when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:08:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If this was built as a true survival rifle and not some stupid gimmick, it would be a worthwhile piece.

Why Henry has brought it a long way to a "working" platform; they made sure to cheapen it up enough to make their bucks...but little else.

The AR-7 is an excellent concept but it has never been more than either a developmental prototype (via ArmaLite) or just a plain gimmick (re: Charter Arms, U.S Survival and Henry)

If someone with a sense of honesty, integrity and a lick of sense sat down and really WORKED on the design from top to bottom, it could be a fine, fine little survival piece as I think ArmaLite (or at least Eugene Stoner) wanted it to be.

Here is what I'd do to the gun:

Return to either the lined aluminum barrel OR a specially designed carbon fiber barrel with a nicely designed and durable front sight that is adjustable for windage.  The rear sight needs to be of a better design and at least should have reference marks

The bolt group, (meaning the recoil spring set and guide assembly) should be a captive sub assembly.  The charging handle should not fall out if you look at the gun funny.  ( I had that happen once )

For God's sake put a disconnector in that thing.

Re-design the stock with the use of better materials and a bit better cavity liner.   Too, a more secure buttcap design would be nice.

That is the MINIMUM of what I would do if this were on my bench.
View Quote

I'm curious what you think the price for your improved gun would be? It's a pretty small market already. I think this gun and the Marlin Papoose are mostly bought by people that want a gun that stores in a small space or like the novelty. Once Ruger came out with a takedown 10/22 and then later a charger version it got a lot of that market.

I sold guns for years and don't think I ever sold one to someone wanting to use it as an actual survival rifle. In Alaska the vast majority of "survival" guns I sold were bigger and meant to deal with unwanted critters that run in the hundreds of pounds.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 9:39:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm curious what you think the price for your improved gun would be? It's a pretty small market already. I think this gun and the Marlin Papoose are mostly bought by people that want a gun that stores in a small space or like the novelty. Once Ruger came out with a takedown 10/22 and then later a charger version it got a lot of that market.

I sold guns for years and don't think I ever sold one to someone wanting to use it as an actual survival rifle. In Alaska the vast majority of "survival" guns I sold were bigger and meant to deal with unwanted critters that run in the hundreds of pounds.
View Quote
Oooh, you make several excellent points.

Off the top of my head, (and being in manufacturing for decades) my version would cost no less than $650 and that's with a lined aluminum barrel.  Hell, I don't even know if they can weave that tight of a taper with carbon fiber yet.  However, my version wouldn't be a gimmick.  It would be an actual "working" gun that worked.

The AR-7 is more of a backpacking and kayaking piece AND, believe it or not, I have an anecdotal story of a friend who actually used one to kill a rabid fox!  It was in his pack and there was a hiker coming up the trail with a raving and drooling fox hot on her heels, nipping and biting at her.  He couldn't get it together fast enough...but he did!  

I'd have rather had my AutoMag for that one.  Or my SBL.

...anyhow, it could be a legitimate backpacking/kayaking/Jeep/Truck piece if they weren't so gimmicky.

You are right that it's uses are VERY limited...but it can't be said to be completely "useless".
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 11:52:37 PM EDT
[#12]
If you can make a gun that is truly much better for $650 you might have a good product I just don't know how big the market is. The Henry for $250 is pretty attractive to a lot of cheap bastards which in my experience is usually who buys such things.
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 11:36:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you can make a gun that is truly much better for $650 you might have a good product I just don't know how big the market is. The Henry for $250 is pretty attractive to a lot of cheap bastards which in my experience is usually who buys such things.
View Quote
and that is the rub.  We live in a society of cheap bastards who have no concept of the value of a thing.  

It's a damn shame but you are right on the money.
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 11:43:20 AM EDT
[#14]
I had one made by Charter arms, bought new and it never emptied a mag without a jam.
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 12:35:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I had one made by Charter arms, bought new and it never emptied a mag without a jam.
View Quote
My buddy's Charter only (specifically and ONLY) ran with CCI Stingers. It was weird.
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 11:33:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought a Survival Arms model on the late 1990's and won a early 2000's Henry at a gun club raffle.  The Henry had a nice feature where you could stash the action in the stock with a magazine inserted, allowing for a 2 mag carry capacity.  They also added a rimfire scope dovetail to the receiver.  My Survival Arms model has not cuts for rings, but I understand a company made clamp on rings for the older models.

Of the two rifles, my Survival Arms rifle is more accurate with iron sights.  It's about a minute of raccoon at 50 yards.  The Henry's front sight fits a bit loose, and is prone to shift zero if bumped.  I might order another front sight or have someone 3d print a right sized front sight.  The sight profile or height is different enough I had trouble adding enough elevation with the rear peep.  i figure I'll fix the front sight rather than damage the rear sight hood.

Regarding the scope base, I have a tiny Bushnell rimfire scope I tried with it, and had problems with the rear bell piece contacting the rear sight hood.  No big deal, sine I can't stow the receiver with the scope on, nor expect it to keep zero if I put it back on again.

Both guns are comparably reliable.  They do not like the Federal Auto Target stuff with the truncated bullets.  They prefer the waxy, greasy Remington Thunderbolts with rounded tips.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 12:50:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My Henry AR-7 has been just fine. Its been reliable for hundreds of rounds of various ammo. I haven't scoped it but feel it shoots as accurately as I can aim the sights.
View Quote
Same here. No issues.  Only issue I have is the front sight blade isn't very secure. Been thinking of adding a set screw to hold it.
I used to have a Charter Arms rifle with a scope and donkey dick mag. Functioned nicely even with a slightly curved barrel.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 1:09:57 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a Charter Arms AR-7 and it's run like a top for 30 years.

Just a few things to know.

(A) Good Magazines are critical in the AR-7as the Magazine contains the feedramp.   Cheapie mags will make for unhappy shooting.

(B) Also it was designed to use ROUNDED nosed standard .22LR.

(C) Shooting Conical bullets, subsonics or other non-round nosed standard .22LR can lead to jams.

(D) The barrel ring is secured "hand" tight.  If you rip off a magazine or three, be sure to give the barrel ring a tightening squeeze if it needs it.

Overall - I've loved my AR-7.  It is super lightweight.  Floats if goes into water (put the buttstock cap back on). and has been surprising accurate for a light weight take down semi-auto with iron peep sights.

I'd definitely consider the Henry which is updated to include space in the stock to hold 2 magazines (the Armalite & Charter only held one) and the picatinny rail mount added to the receiver top.

Link Posted: 3/27/2023 9:06:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Another who had a CA AR-7 in the early 80s.  Seem to remember $75 for it.  Mine ran fine most to the time.  I used to do a lot of canoeing and hiking then with it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 9:15:17 AM EDT
[#20]
A 10/22 in a magpul backpacker
is 1000 times the rifle. I have the henry, and have shot it like 2 times. The front sight is a rubbery plastic and slides back and forth. The action is OK, but the barrel flexes a ton. It worked both times with HV ammo, not subs, but the action is rough and maybe they would work better after it smooths down.

cool but would not miss at all if i sold it.

for reference, and the backpacker is about an inch thinner at least.

Link Posted: 4/1/2023 1:16:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Update in OP.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 2:11:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 7:04:53 PM EDT
[#23]
My grandfather gave me an old Charter Arms AR-7 and a buddy has the Henry. I can confirm the quality of the Henry is worlds better. The charter arms is a jam-o-matic. A fun range toy at best. But it's such a cool and interesting gun I dont think it will ever leave my collection
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 10:22:35 PM EDT
[#24]
My current one is a Charter Arms version and I've previously owned the Armalite version. I also have the factory scope mount that fastens on the side of the action using the existing access screw.

Several years ago I read an article that mentioned that the magazines are the key with them. It talked about tweaking the feed ramps to make them more reliable.

I have about 6-7 magazines and 3 or 4 of them were not very reliable until I worked on them. They all now work great! I even have a 25 round steel magazine I picked up years ago that now works great after a bit of tweaking the ramp.

Don't give up on one until you try working on the magazines!
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 10:33:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My current one is a Charter Arms version and I've previously owned the Armalite version. I also have the factory scope mount that fastens on the side of the action using the existing access screw.

Several years ago I read an article that mentioned that the magazines are the key with them. It talked about tweaking the feed ramps to make them more reliable.

I have about 6-7 magazines and 3 or 4 of them were not very reliable until I worked on them. They all now work great! I even have a 25 round steel magazine I picked up years ago that now works great after a bit of tweaking the ramp.

View Quote

Very carefully and lightly "throated" Charter Arms AR-7 (actually the Explorer II pistol) lower edge of the chamber lip for improved feed.

MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 5:23:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Very carefully and lightly "throated" Charter Arms AR-7 (actually the Explorer II pistol) lower edge of the chamber lip for improved feed.
https://i.imgur.com/60oIjsj.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/60oIjsj.jpg

Do Henry mags fit the Charter Arms?
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 1:39:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Do Henry mags fit the Charter Arms?
View Quote

From reading on the internet. NO, they do not work.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 2:38:13 PM EDT
[#28]
I’ve thought about getting one in the past, but I just can’t justify it when the 10/22 takedown with a magpul stock is just so much better.  Weight might be more (depending on setup) but it’s such a good gun.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 2:54:02 PM EDT
[#29]
The one I bought looked like it was machined by retarded monkeys using a dull rock.  Would not run anything.  Only firearm I have ever returned.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 3:26:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:  The one I bought looked like it was machined by retarded monkeys using a dull rock.  Would not run anything.  Only firearm I have ever returned.
View Quote

Charter or Henry?  New or used?  How long ago?
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 1:07:14 AM EDT
[#31]

This remainded me that I have a charter receiver in my safe that I bought for $10 a few years ago that I need to build once I can find parts
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 3:28:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This remainded me that I have a charter receiver in my safe that I bought for $10 a few years ago that I need to build once I can find parts
View Quote

https://www.ar-7.com/AR7Parts.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top