Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2022 3:17:26 PM EDT
The markings on the left side of the receiver are:
 BA
169**

It also has either half roll marked m or pie symbol along with a British arrow army mark.  

BA is also at the barrel shank left hand side near the reciever.  

I'm thinking maybe Maltby but I'm very new to enfields so I really didn't know.  

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jeff.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 11:48:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not familiar with BA

But, if you haven't already, this forum would be the place to ask

Enfield
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 12:00:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Post a pic if you can
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 10:19:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe it's a Maltby.  The letter codes were used by all the factories to indicate series. The leading '1' in the serial number would indicate Maltby manufacture.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 3:59:25 PM EDT
[#4]
That's what I think to.  I would like to post a pic but I don't have the rifle yet.  Still shipping once I get I will post it.  

Jeff.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 9:40:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I believe it's a Maltby.  The letter codes were used by all the factories to indicate series. The leading '1' in the serial number would indicate Maltby manufacture.
View Quote

Exactly right.

Rifles were serialized with a 1 or 2 letter series prefix, followed by a factory ID numeral, and then the 4 digit rifle number.  Rifles were produced in 10k series of 0000 through 9999.  

Each factory was assigned a different initial numeral, with 1 being Maltby.

So Maltby rifles would have started with A10000 through A19999, then moved to B10000-B19999, then all the way through through Z1XXXX.  Then switched to a two letter prefix with AA1XXXX, AB1XXXX, etc., through AZ1XXXX.  Then it rolled over into BA1XXXX (like yours) through BZ1XXXX.  Then on to CA1XXXX.  And so on.

So at BA169XX, your rifle is around the 526,9XXth No. 4 rifle made by Maltby.

My Maltby is AE100XX, dated 1942.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top