Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2023 8:58:42 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:15:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I read somewhere that lend lease guns has red paint to differentiate them from .303 guns. Can't say for certain though.

It looks like a nice piece. I'd be happy to have it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:14:33 AM EDT
[#2]
OP:
Pictures of both sides of the rear portion of the buttstock and receiver.  

If it is a lend lease, there might/should be other markings on it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:41:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Also remove the handguard and look for British proofs on the barrel.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 4:59:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 7:34:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Not thinking it was a LL rifle.  No British proofs to be seen.  But it is a good looking M1917.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:19:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not thinking it was a LL rifle.  No British proofs to be seen.  But it is a good looking M1917.
View Quote

This.............. ^^ right here.  

Unless there some markings on the left/right side of the stock (in front of butt but behind the trigger group).
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:15:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 11:17:36 PM EDT
[#8]
British proof marks are only an indicator it passed through Britain and likely exported. They are not a guarantee it would be a lend lease and their absence does not guarantee it was not.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 11:32:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 12:13:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Did we have a ll program with Canada?
View Quote

I believe so. Also bear in mind when lend lease guns entered British service they were NOT proofed/ marked. This would occur when released from military service and the guns released on the civilian market.

Also consider the possibility that the gun had the stock replaced with a lend lease stock with the red band ( most of the red band 1917’s I’ve seen had the red band painted a little closer to the receiver)
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 12:52:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, many lend lease arms were marked with the Canadian military broad arrow C.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 7:39:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 11:46:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I read somewhere that lend lease guns has red paint to differentiate them from .303 guns. Can't say for certain though.

View Quote
The British definitely painted a red band around the handguards of Lend Lease Garands to signify 30.06 and not 303.

Link Posted: 6/7/2023 12:10:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Numbered bolts were also a thing on the L-L rifles which this one also does not have.

Many L-L rifles were brought back by Century Arms and were so marked near the muzzle.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 1:36:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Not LL or Canadian.

1917 rifles were issued to native scouts during WW2 and after in Alaska could possibly be one but in general 1917s were a very common surplus rifle post WW1.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 3:45:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 11:29:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
British proof marks are only an indicator it passed through Britain and likely exported. They are not a guarantee it would be a lend lease and their absence does not guarantee it was not.
View Quote

True but the OP mentioned red paint and suggested it was in a location of the typical LL painted ones.  (The band around the stocks about 6" back from the front sight and usually with .300 in black).
If it did infact have a red band on it, that would raise the chances of it being a LL alot.  

But it doesn't have any other inspection/export etc marks on it.  
Likewise being from AK, it doesn't appear to have any Canadian marks either.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 11:35:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I believe so. Also bear in mind when lend lease guns entered British service they were NOT proofed/ marked. This would occur when released from military service and the guns released on the civilian market.

Also consider the possibility that the gun had the stock replaced with a lend lease stock with the red band ( most of the red band 1917’s I’ve seen had the red band painted a little closer to the receiver)
View Quote

Depending on exactly what you mean, I would disagree with you.  
The whole point to this "red band" thing is when the British received the rifles, they didn't want confusion as to the proper ammo for it, thus the marking.  
Obviously that would have been when they "entered British service."  
Now the export markings found on the barrels, that was done after all that.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 5:31:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  My January 1919 Eddystone M1917 was on loan to the Canadians, and was used by their COTC (similar to our ROTC).  It has both COTC rack markings as well as the Canadian broad arrow making on the buttstock.

Here are some COTC cadets at McGill University in 1941 marching with M1917s:
(Full resolution here: https://news.library.mcgill.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/War2.jpg )

Link Posted: 6/9/2023 12:06:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 9:08:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 9:26:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 10:01:24 PM EDT
[#23]

There you go..........  
Carefully look forward of that, along that side of the stock, forward about 3-4" or so.  
That is where my Canadian M1917 is marked.  

Now of course the wood could've been replaced.  
Look carefully on the exposed parts of the receiver.......... there should be one on there too.  

AFAIK............  no, there are no Canadian records to research.........
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 10:18:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top