Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2020 2:04:19 PM EDT
I bought a worksharp ken onion sharpener and can't seem to sharpen my Wusthof santoku knife.  Everything I do seems to make it duller(at this point, I didn't think that was possible).  I set it to 20 degrees and follow the guide/manual.  Any ideas?
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 8:47:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Worksharp  can fuck your blade pretty fast with an aggressive belt.  Maybe practice on something cheap.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 1:38:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Santoku are better off sharpened at 10-15 degrees rather than 20.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 9:57:52 PM EDT
[#3]
You may not be grinding it all the way to the edge.

Get a black sharpie and coat the cutting edge and make sure you are getting all the way to the edge with the coarsest belt.

You should be able to feel a burr form along the full length of the blade before moving to a finer grit.

There are plenty of good youtube videos.

I use a Kalamazoo 1X42 belt sander to sharpen with and I went to goodwill and bought some cheap kitchen knives to practice on before sharpening my good stuff.

There is a learning curve.

One thing I have learned is to start with a coarse enough belt to avoid overheating the blade getting the angle set and a full length burr.

Link Posted: 8/12/2020 10:42:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Santoku are better off sharpened at 10-15 degrees rather than 20.
View Quote

Depends on the steel.  German stainless is softer and won't do as well with the low angles.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 10:58:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You may not be grinding it all the way to the edge.

Get a black sharpie and coat the cutting edge and make sure you are getting all the way to the edge with the coarsest belt.

You should be able to feel a burr form along the full length of the blade before moving to a finer grit.

There are plenty of good youtube videos.

I use a Kalamazoo 1X42 belt sander to sharpen with and I went to goodwill and bought some cheap kitchen knives to practice on before sharpening my good stuff.

There is a learning curve.

One thing I have learned is to start with a coarse enough belt to avoid overheating the blade getting the angle set and a full length burr.

View Quote

This is my experience.   You're prolly going from a straight grind to a convex grind.   That means you are removing more material profiling the blade before you get to the edge.    Betting you already fucked up the tip.  I hate that sharpener.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top