Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/25/2022 5:40:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: outdoorgb]
Put in airgun forum as it is a question about my short-range shooting.

Beeman R7 with 2-7x32 scope
Set at 4x power with range of 15' (lowest setting indicated on scope). Set AO.

Rifle is zeroed at 20 yards and shoots pretty good.

Was taking some sniper shots out of office window and target is 10' away. Missed twice, hit once but a bigger target (European Starling).
So today I put my shoot-n-see targets and took five shots. the impact is about 1" low.

Pretty certain this is a resultant of my 20 yard zero but would like some input from those who understand trajectory, short-range shooting, and general "how this works".
When I raise up 1/2 mil dot, zero at 10 feet.

Link Posted: 12/25/2022 7:35:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PerpetualNewb] [#1]
I could write a thing, but he's already done a good job on it. It's not a direct answer, but one you understand the articles you should know your answer. :)

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/?s=distance+for+sighting+in&submit=
https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2007/10/why-are-there-two-zero-points-when-sighting-in-a-scope/

I think Tom also has a blog elsewhere, but this is where I found it on a Google search. He has published a wealth of info about many aspects of air gun shooting.

Link Posted: 12/25/2022 8:36:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/25/2022 10:37:19 PM EDT
[#3]
That’s what I suspected but could not wrap my brain around it…

Have my AR set at the RBSZ with irons but co-witnessed with a 1-4 score.

Thanks all. I can hold over at 10 yards when needed.
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 11:18:44 AM EDT
[#4]
That’s why you shoot your data for different yardages. Scope height also plays a role.
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 12:14:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes.. have some work to do. Setting up different distances in backyard today. Goal is to hit the bull at 10' to 50 yards. The guns will do it, now it's on me.
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 4:19:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By outdoorgb:
Yes.. have some work to do. Setting up different distances in backyard today. Goal is to hit the bull at 10' to 50 yards. The guns will do it, now it's on me.
View Quote

StrelokPro has some pretty good data for JSB pellets.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 8:12:58 PM EDT
[#7]
When I shot a lot of Field Target (a game in which targets vary from 10 yards to 55 yards), I found that a 33 yard half mil-dot above line of sight zero was about perfect.  A ten yard target used the same hold as a 50 yard target.  However, my scope height was a bit higher than is usual.  A ten foot distant target would be a significantly higher hold up.

There is another game that I play in the winter with my 10 meter rifle, namely Bell Target in which the target is a .375" diameter hole at 7 yards.  I have to click up 35 on my 10 meter aperture sight to be centered.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 4:57:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By sparkyD:

StrelokPro has some pretty good data for JSB pellets.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/232954/F513D3D9-42C9-484D-843C-AF263F2BCE31_png-2649695.JPG
View Quote

I understand the "vertical" over/under hold, but why would there be a need for "horizonal" hold? If, that is what the R and L measurement mean. Shouldn't horizonal be determined by the wind direction and speed?
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 8:21:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Triumphman:

I understand the "vertical" over/under hold, but why would there be a need for "horizonal" hold? If, that is what the R and L measurement mean. Shouldn't horizonal be determined by the wind direction and speed?
View Quote

Looks like I had the spin drift setting on. But I have not noticed enough spin drift to worry with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top