Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2020 4:58:33 PM EDT
I haven't built up a 10/22 in years, but BassPro had a basic 10/22 on sale for $199 and I had $130 in points, so I figured what the hell and I need a relatively simple project for my down time.

Everything except the receiver can go, though I'd rather slick the bolt than replace it.

I already have an ultra-light, all-VQ build, and an AAC Phoenix in a Boyd thumbhole stock with some basic action upgrades. Plus a take-down model with the camo stock, threaded barrel, and some basic action upgrades, in the Ruger bag. I often just toss that in the car to have along.

Only "requirements" for the new build are it must have a threaded barrel (I own seven 22LR cans) and not a basic hunting stock. And I have no interest in the "make it look like some other famous gun" setups.

I would like to keep the additional spend under $1k but I haven't gone crazy in a while so who knows.  That doesn't include the cost of an optic.

So let's hear your suggestions.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 5:11:44 PM EDT
[#1]
pick and choose for ideas... I built a Brownells BRN22 into a Steel Challenge 10/22 with a very light front end... the BRNreceiver and barrel (factory threaded) were placed in a lightweight PMACA chassis, with a Ruger bolt and charging handle, BX trigger group... added a SOCOM slant cheek adjustable stock and Hogue grip... front end is short, so a 1913 rail was added to the nose to hold an angled fore grip... Vortex Venom on a YHM 1/2" riser for sights...very light in the front end and swings well
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 5:49:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like have all the 10/22 bases covered. Maybe something Minimalist and light weight.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 6:11:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm using a Feddersen threaded, fluted barrel in my build. Click

Link Posted: 5/17/2020 8:16:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I have done a few in the past and have tried lots of different things. For bolts my favorite is a black scalloped kidd, its just smooth and looks awsome, if i wasnt going to spend $100 i would send it to CPC, and have him rework and jewel it, the ones i have turned out very nice but you are still spend $60.  Kidd charging handle and buffer are my go-to’s, for a trigger my kidd drop in is great, my kidd single stage is good for $200, my volquartzen (sp) is just ok only got it because it was on clearance not as good as any of the above.  BX triggers are ok for a quick simple somewhat cheap upgrade, but my absolute favorites are my tier 2 Brimstones, $75 is cheap for whatyou get (imo) i like the feel of the new trigger bow, the torsion spring is nice and smooth, overall is second only to my full kidd trigger.  For a barrel i have a couple Beyer mid-weight barrels they are nice, my kidd stainless is only for bench rest, kidd ultra-light is almost too light, and my favorite is my kidd lightweight.  If i was going to do another- kidd CH, buffer, and lightweight barrel, brimstone tier 2 trigger, bolt jeweled cpc or kidd scalloped for more $40 more, in a boyds or stockys sporter stock
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:49:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Has anyone used the Pike Arms stuff from Tactical Innovations?  https://www.tacticalinc.com/catalog/category/774

I ask because a couple of my full auto rated 22lr cans are from TI and I've been happy with them and their support in the past.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 1:56:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Damn. It looks like everybody is out of stock on just about everything. May be forced to go with Kidd for all the parts, unless his website is lying.

Oh well. He's got a good rep and I currently own nothing of his.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 3:06:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I am not sure if the OP has bought the base gun yet but the last couple of 10/22 projects I started to think about went by the wayside.

Consider some of the heavy barrel models that Ruger sells as a finished gun and consider if that is maybe a better place to start. Last one I bought had a short but heavy barrel and a Houge rubber stock. I really like the balance of the short barrel and the feel of the Hough stock.The factory Ruger triggesucked so I replaced that with some aftermarket right off the bat . This gun saved me buying a stock and barrel and was only about $100 more than the cheesy base 10/22.

I have found many of the high end aftermarket barrels have a very tight chamber. Good for accuracy but tends to sacrifice reliability .

Of course there is always the fun of the whole project
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 8:57:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I built a fluted Clark barreled 10/22 for the Sportsmen's Team Challenge in the mid 80's when it was still in Florida... the first year all three team guns were fitted with Leupold mounts on the receiver... loctited... they were all loose at the end of the match, apparently due to the being tapped in the thin roof of the receiver...later years the scopes were cantilevered off the barrel

for my recent 10/22 I opted for the Brownell BRN22 receiver with the integral 1913 rail...
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 10:23:35 PM EDT
[#9]
My gun has a Kidd ultralight barrel, trigger group and bolt with a stock receiver in a B&C sporter thumbhole stock.  A very sweet shooter that's also very light.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 10:48:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My gun has a Kidd ultralight barrel, trigger group and bolt with a stock receiver in a B&C sporter thumbhole stock.  A very sweet shooter that's also very light.
View Quote

MY VQ is an ultralight build.

Went with the Kidd trigger, bolt, charging handle, auto-bolt, and 18" threaded Black Diamond barrel in black matte.  Will go in a Boyds Evolution stock. Everything is due here by Saturday.

Going to top it with an Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50 and add a CF bipod. They're due by the 29th.

Current 10/22s, 2nd one is the new one that is getting built up ->

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 11:47:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Final build

Ruger receiver
Kidd single stage trigger pack
Kidd bolt
Kidd changing handle and standard weight spring
Kidd 18" Black Diamond threaded barrel
Gemtech Outback II suppressor
Boyds Evolution stock
TacSol rail
Falcon Menace 5.5-25x50
Have to add a stud to the stock so I can mount the bipod.

Put 100 rounds of subsonic through it today with no issues

Bottom rifle is my AAC Phoenix. Put that together about 15 years ago.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 9:32:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Being you already have a light weight id go with a kidd heavy barrel, trigger and bolt along with other small parts in a magpul stock. Then a Harris bipod and glass of your choice.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 9:45:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I’m building a “Black Phantom”

16” Kidd fluted lightweight barrel threaded.
Magpul X22 Hunter stock
Vortex Copperhead 3-9x40
Kidd Bolt and charging handle and parts.
Brimstone trigger
Dead Air Mask HD
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 7:51:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Being you already have a light weight id go with a kidd heavy barrel, trigger and bolt along with other small parts in a magpul stock. Then a Harris bipod and glass of your choice.
View Quote

I built the gun described above. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top