Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2018 5:21:06 PM EDT
I have an old snubby with a custom front night sight dovetailed in. There is not any readily available off the shelf replacement.  Original gunsmith is not accepting new work.  I do NOT want the sight re-lamped.  I just want to get the old vial out. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Hizzie
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 5:36:18 PM EDT
[#1]
It is just glass, it will be pretty easy to tap it with a punch then drill it out or just paint over it. I have replaced them using vials I ordered off the net for fishing.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 5:50:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Just tap them lightly.  You don't want to set off a nookulear asplosion.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 6:08:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Some are epoxied in place.  Look on the muzzle end of the sight and you might have one with a very small hole drilled through.

I've heated them up and used a small pin to push the tube out.

Another alternative is drilling it out.

The lamps are easy to replace yourself.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 8:44:26 PM EDT
[#4]
That said, just in case I’d do any of the above in a well ventilated area with a fan blowing air away from you. The tubes are known to break sometimes, and yeah there’s not much tritium left, but I sure as hell wouldn’t want to breathe anything radioactive.

YMMV but I lean toward extra ass coverage.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 1:45:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The tubes are known to break sometimes, and yeah there’s not much tritium left, but I sure as hell wouldn’t want to breathe anything radioactive.
View Quote
In the scheme of things not enough to be an actual hazard unless you did it over and over all the time.

Tritium decay

Nothing all that energetic.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top