Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/22/2018 12:22:51 PM EDT
My family has roughly 200 acres in South Carolina.  All of us live about 12-15 hours away by car so it does not get much use.  I go there once a year with my brother and attempt to hunt pigs which we know are there.  We have a rancher who watches the land in exchange for grazing and he tells us of the hog issue.  We have gone twice so far for a few days each and been unsuccessful.  I’m going for 8 days thios summer and want to up my game.

My brother has been using a PVS14 behind a Browe, dbal etc. and I have been using a green flashlight.  Recently he picked up a Pulsar XP38 and a Torrey Pines Logic Zero Lens (allows you to use pvs 14 as a collimated clip on).

So I will have roughly $4000-5000 to spend in the next 2 months.  I want it for hunting and general NV capability when I’m not in South Carolina.  I’m sure I can use the Zero lens if I go PVS-14 because he will helmet mount his PVS and use the XP 38.  Thanks.

Pictures of property and the 2 rifles (both 6.5 Grendel) I am bringing:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 1:31:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Longest shot would be 350 yards but really 200 or 150 or less is much more likely.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 1:54:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 1:58:42 PM EDT
[#3]
My brother has the PVS 14 and XP38.  I have nothing yet and I'm wondering do I go PVS14 first or thermal scope/clip on first or I2 scope or clip on etc.

If you were in my shoes and starting from scratch with 5K, where would you start?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 2:00:06 PM EDT
[#4]
And the herd is small and the rancher will move his cows around depending on where we are going to be for the night/day.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 2:05:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Just dropped in to to say nice land/spread and weapons setup. Good luck with the project/hunt.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 2:15:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just dropped in to to say nice land/spread and weapons setup. Good luck with the project/hunt.
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 2:50:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Thermal is king. nv is good for PID faces at 10 yards. Thermal is good for PID on the hog at 100 yards you could barely see with you PVS14 and illuminator. On a moonless or misty night, you absolutely couldn't see the hog.

Here's a current thread w/ a similar topic
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Finally-looked-through-thermal/18-486660/?page=1
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 2:59:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thermal is king. nv is good for PID faces at 10 yards. Thermal is good for PID on the hog at 100 yards you could barely see with you PVS14 and illuminator. On a moonless or misty night, you absolutely couldn't see the hog.

Here's a current thread w/ a similar topic
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Finally-looked-through-thermal/18-486660/?page=1
View Quote
Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 3:13:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thanks.
View Quote
No problem. I hope I don't come off too negative on NV. I've successfully killed a lot of pigs with NV, but I have had much better luck and experiences with thermal
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 3:17:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 4:29:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

10 yards?  This Gen 1 stuff? I have a PVS-27 I can PID faces at 500 yards and not breath too hard.
View Quote
Time out, you're saying that you would be able to tell the difference between two adult male faces at 500 yards under unmagnifed NV? Or are you saying that you can identify faces with a magnified optic behind your pvs27?  I'd be impressed to see someone consistently and accurately tell the difference in daylight at 100 yards.

And it's not gen 1, it's a TNVC, L3, Gen3 un-filmed white phosphorus tube.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 4:45:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 4:46:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Has he given you any feedback on the Zero Lens? I’ve always been curious if they are worth their price tag. What part of SC? My family lives in the upstate.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 4:59:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I just want an invite to come hunt.

And for hunting thermal wins. Gotta find em b4 you can shoot em.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 5:04:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Has he given you any feedback on the Zero Lens? I’ve always been curious if they are worth their price tag. What part of SC? My family lives in the upstate.
View Quote
Starr South Carolina.

He has used it to look out on fields using a Tnvc Omni VIII PVS14 and a Leupold VX6 4-24 and Torch IR illuminator.  He said it works well but I'm not sure what that means.  I am going to ask him to give me some more info on it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 5:14:00 PM EDT
[#16]
He also used it in front of a Browe 4X.  I will get some more info on it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 5:37:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 5:38:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 6:48:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Guy’s he has a budget of $5k let’s be real.   OP take a look at the classifieds there’s a lot of nice gear there.  If I was you I’d look at a hd19 scanner and pst223 or similar pulsar scope.  Your hunting style is going to change.   You’re going to be able to close on pigs in those pastures.  You both need tripods.   Get a thermal scanner and a thermal scope or I2 clip on.  Boom you’re killing hogs.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 7:36:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Guy’s he has a budget of $5k let’s be real.
View Quote
That's actually a good thing to explore... budget of 5k. If going NV keep in mind a helmet, mount+arm, laser, illuminator and other accessories...

I would take a hard look at the PTS233 from Ultimate Night Vision with a ZRO delta mount. Could probably use it as a scanner and then put it on your rifle as a scope
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 7:50:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Guy’s he has a budget of $5k let’s be real.   OP take a look at the classifieds there’s a lot of nice gear there.  If I was you I’d look at a hd19 scanner and pst223 or similar pulsar scope.  Your hunting style is going to change.   You’re going to be able to close on pigs in those pastures.  You both need tripods.   Get a thermal scanner and a thermal scope or I2 clip on.  Boom you’re killing hogs.
View Quote
Thanks.  Tripod is on the list.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 7:57:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

And you gotta ID them before you kill em...Might be great with all those 640 12/17um systems with all those kill vids but the majority hunt with 384 or lesser, even worse for PID at extended ranges. I get it, get closer. But tired of folks blowing smoke upsuspecting users that thermal somehow ID's facial etc. over modern NV and NO, NOT A PVS-14 WITH IT's 1.1x lens. I get that too...Oh and I get the Skeeter shots at cows faces at 3 away. Had BAE stuff since the OASYS days... Yea, I hunt 4 legged creatures as well. We agree to disagree, I get it...
View Quote
I don't think anyone is trying to say that you are going to be able to differentiate faces with thermal. I think we are saying that you will be able discern between pig/deer/dog/person.

Not trying to be a jerk here, just wanting to have a legit discussion. Would you disagree that you can see something with unmagnified thermal way before you can see something with unmagnified NV? Especially on a moonless or misty night? And by the time you PID the difference between a pig/deer/dog/person with unmagnifed NV would you not be able to do the same with thermal? Even more so when you have the ability to digitally zoom?

And for those hunters that are budget conscious and use 384 or lesser units, do you see them getting the most out of NV by wanting to get into Gen3 night vision with a good illuminator/laser like a dbal/atpial/mawl? I would imagine a PTS233(a 12u thermal rifle scope) AND a Flir Breach (a 12u helmet mounted or handheld)would be cheaper than the combo of a PVS14/helmet/mount/arm/laser/illuminator/and accessories(tape switch, better helmet pads, lanyards, counter weights, amber filters, etc etc etc).  I mean, a PTS233 is almost 1k cheaper than even the cheapest NV monocle most dealers carry.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 9:00:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Just throwing out numbers that fall under the 5k. Take it for what it's worth. Always good to have more info than less, even if it's bad.

Cheapest, barebones, NIB option from one online store:
cheapest helmet with shroud (opscore skull mount) - $250
Cheapest Pvs14 listed - $3,000
Cheapest IR Laser (OTAL) - $400
Cheapest weapon mounted Illuminator (m300v) - $340
J arm - $90
Cheapest mount (Rhino mount) - $180
Total - $4,260

--or--

PTS233- $2,199
Breach (yes, I know, available soon haha) -$2,500
Total - $4,699
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 5:30:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Recent experience with both:

I have a thermal scope and a helmet mounted PVS14. We were out hunting for pig in an area with a fuckkkkk load of deer.

I would pause and scan with the thermal scope and then drive with my pvs14. I scanned with my thermal and observed dozens of bedded down deer (in an oat field) so I continued on.

I looked to my left with my pvs14 and saw a bunch of dark colored blobs around a tree. I thought "hmmm...deer are usually light colored". I lifted up my thermal and got PID on a sounder of hogs. I most likely would have missed those hogs if it wasn't for my pvs14.

Moral of the story. Get both.

$2k for a thermal scope (flir or pulsar)
$2.5k for a gen 3 pvs14. Or find a pvs7 for $1500
$500 for a skull cap and and mount.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 7:34:09 AM EDT
[#25]
For $5k:

Flir PTS 233 (Or Pulsar RCQ30)

~2000
PVS 14  Used

~2500
3x Magnifier  Used

~120
OpsCore Bump Helmet

~275
USGI Rhino Mount Used

~40

With that gear list and a bit of field craft you will be killing pigs left and right. By the time you master that gear and understand how thermal and I2 fit into your hunting style you will have money available for the next step....what ever that may be.

Have fun!
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 7:52:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Night vision is okay for Open Fields but thermal blows night-vision away. Apples to Apples thermal kills night vision.
One thing a lot of people don't talk about, night Vision cannot be used during daytime and there are certain times at night that you cannot use night vision.
Thermal is good for day or night.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 8:23:03 AM EDT
[#27]
If you have young kids, a thermal scanner makes you a  hide and seek pro.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 9:20:20 AM EDT
[#28]
To get both I would have to go with PTS233 or something vs spending it all on a 640 unit.  Is that going to be enough to make shots out to 200 yards?  Or do you just stalk in and get closer?

Because I would really want to get both and could most likely swing a new PVS14, and a PTS233.

Thanks for all the help.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 2:51:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Recent experience with both:

I have a thermal scope and a helmet mounted PVS14. We were out hunting for pig in an area with a fuckkkkk load of deer.

I would pause and scan with the thermal scope and then drive with my pvs14. I scanned with my thermal and observed dozens of bedded down deer (in an oat field) so I continued on.

I looked to my left with my pvs14 and saw a bunch of dark colored blobs around a tree. I thought "hmmm...deer are usually light colored". I lifted up my thermal and got PID on a sounder of hogs. I most likely would have missed those hogs if it wasn't for my pvs14.

Moral of the story. Get both.

$2k for a thermal scope (flir or pulsar)
$2.5k for a gen 3 pvs14. Or find a pvs7 for $1500
$500 for a skull cap and and mount.
View Quote
Yes this is where thermal can really shine
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 3:16:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I don't think anyone is trying to say that you are going to be able to differentiate faces with thermal. I think we are saying that you will be able discern between pig/deer/dog/person.
View Quote
I'm sure the woman that accidentally shot another hunter in the face in Anderson County S.C. thought she had PID a hog before she dropped the hammer and shot him the face.
I'm don't claim to know about her hunting experience, whether or not they should had set sectors of fire, or to say the ATN thermal scope was a POS low budget unit, but it unfortunately ended tragically. Would it have made a differance if she ID him with NV first? I'm sure it would have been better than relying solely on a thermal scope.
http://www.wyff4.com/article/shot-that-killed-hog-hunter-recorded-by-womans-firearm-investigators-say/12239667
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 3:32:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 5:32:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'm sure the woman that accidentally shot another hunter in the face in Anderson County S.C. thought she had PID a hog before she dropped the hammer and shot him the face.
I'm don't claim to know about her hunting experience, whether or not they should had set sectors of fire, or to say the ATN thermal scope was a POS low budget unit, but it unfortunately ended tragically. Would it have made a differance if she ID him with NV first? I'm sure it would have been better than relying solely on a thermal scope.
http://www.wyff4.com/article/shot-that-killed-hog-hunter-recorded-by-womans-firearm-investigators-say/12239667
View Quote
Totally the shooters fault.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 6:39:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't think we are having the the same debate. The point in question is at what distance can someone accurately decide whether they are looking at a feral pig or an adult man crawling on all fours at night. Regardless if it is nightvision or thermal, there is a distance in which you cannot accurately tell the difference. The point that is made is that with thermal, the distance that you accurately PID a pig/man/dog/coyote is significantly further than what is possible with night vision.

As previously stated, that incident is 100% the shooters fault for not being sure of the target. The fact that a thermal was used is completely irrelevant because failing to PID can be done with thermal or night vision.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 6:42:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
To get both I would have to go with PTS233 or something vs spending it all on a 640 unit.  Is that going to be enough to make shots out to 200 yards?  Or do you just stalk in and get closer?

Because I would really want to get both and could most likely swing a new PVS14, and a PTS233.

Thanks for all the help.
View Quote
I personally use one of the nicer 640 units and love it. I have played with the PTS233, but have not had the chance to use it in the field. I am confident you could make shots at 200 yards, but I would highly recommend closing that distance to 70 yards or less on pigs. I personally stalk up on them as close as I can before taking my shots. I would also recommend watching some videos of the pro hunters like lonestarboars on YouTube. He has a few videos on the pts.

Also, pretty sure he only uses thermal now.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 7:23:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I don't think we are having the the same debate. The point in question is at what distance can someone accurately decide whether they are looking at a feral pig or an adult man crawling on all fours at night. Regardless if it is nightvision or thermal, there is a distance in which you cannot accurately tell the difference. The point that is made is that with thermal, the distance that you accurately PID a pig/man/dog/coyote is significantly further than what is possible with night vision.

As previously stated, that incident is 100% the shooters fault for not being sure of the target. The fact that a thermal was used is completely irrelevant because failing to PID can be done with thermal or night vision.
View Quote
I think we are, as TNVC stated a NV clip on with a magnified optic wins all day long for PID and that's coming from the man himself that has access to all the top tier night vision/thermal inventory hands down, used this stuff during his time in SpecOps, has classes to train LEOs/operators to use this stuff efficiently and sells it to bad ass dudes "that killed more people than cancer" (TNVC quote).
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 8:53:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I think we are, as TNVC stated a NV clip on with a magnified optic wins all day long for PID and that's coming from the man himself that has access to all the top tier night vision/thermal inventory hands down, used this stuff during his time in SpecOps, has classes to train LEOs/operators to use this stuff efficiently and sells it to bad ass dudes "that killed more people than cancer" (TNVC quote).
View Quote
Haha oh man. We are really starting to stray from the original purpose of this thread. Sorry OP. @MunnyShot, what are your personal experiences with thermal vs NV with the application of hunting in mind?  Have you ever hunted with a NV clip-on?
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 9:02:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
For $5k:

Flir PTS 233 (Or Pulsar RCQ30)

~2000
PVS 14  Used

~2500
3x Magnifier  Used

~120
OpsCore Bump Helmet

~275
USGI Rhino Mount Used

~40

With that gear list and a bit of field craft you will be killing pigs left and right. By the time you master that gear and understand how thermal and I2 fit into your hunting style you will have money available for the next step....what ever that may be.

Have fun!
View Quote
This.

Tons of used PVS14s on EE for way under $2700.

I have PVS14, MUM14, and Zeus 640 50mm. All have their uses. Thermal makes warm things pop from the background, nice feature. One day I’ll get a better tube for my -14, but in the meantime it’s pretty cool.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 9:04:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Haha oh man. We are really starting to stray from the original purpose of this thread. Sorry OP. @MunnyShot, what are your personal experiences with thermal vs NV with the application of hunting in mind?  Have you ever hunted with a NV clip-on?
View Quote
No worries! Carry on.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 9:29:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've looked through both for a comparison once and the termal wasn't that great where I could positively Id a coyote from a pig at distance. Maybe t was the setting it was one or the conditions in which I was looking though it. As for hunting 4 legged animals with a clip on at night that would also be a no although I've been looking into Hog Swat in Georgia as my first night hunt.

As for "straying away from the original purpose of this thread"  the op said "I want it for hunting and general NV capability" For hunting yes, but Fo you think a thermal mounted scope would be a wise choice for "general NV capability"??? Yeah I didn't think so either...
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 9:49:34 PM EDT
[#40]
BAE UTC can easily PID hogs, deer or human (no facial recognition but can tell it is a person) at 800 yards and beyond. Truly an amazing thermal. Would like the opportunity to look through the newer UTC-XII.
Clip-on night vision is limited to time of day/night for safe usage and illumination from moonlight/ starlight at these ranges.
IMHO Thermal still wins in the high dollar NV vs Thermal comparison.

Some animals are also hard to see with NV due to the color of their hair or skin. Hogs do stand out well usually.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 11:21:57 PM EDT
[#41]
He’s hunting mostly open 200 acres that he’s familiar with.  I can’t figure wtf a pvs14 is going to do for him if his bro already is carrying one?  I’ve hunted sounders with I2 clip ons and they suck compared to a thermal bc the targets are harder to track.  If you want to snipe one hog at 400 yards after counting the hairs on it’s tits at 20x and let the rest of the sounder go, that’s your go to path.  But hey you will absolutely have positive ID and know that it’s not some f’ing guy crawling on the ground lol!!   You’ll kill 3-5 pigs a year on your 200 acres.    You need to get close and hose them down with a thermal.  You’re not a delta force sniper....right?  A 384res unit will do that for you.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 4:29:31 AM EDT
[#42]
I think we've beaten the thermal dead horse enough to realize that its great for filling the hunting, and detection roll under the right atmospheric condition, but again it only solves "1/2" of his needs. The second requirement is "general night use" where a mounted optic and thermal in general will absolutely suck trying to navagate even on his known property that the OP said they rarely use. Again hunting from a static position, detection or over watch thermal = good "we get it" but for all around NV is still a better fit for both of his needs. Let's not also forget thermal will be limited/ fails at if it's lightly raining, foggy, and humid conditions.

The OP has a 5k budget and IMHO he could get both a high spec PVS14 3k and buy a FLIR PT223 2k problem solved. Another option instead of buying the PT223 is to buy a Dbal D2 for 1k, spend the other 1k on a decent thermal scope or better yet save another 1k to buy the PT223 which will allow him to hunt very effectively with either. It will also fulfill his need for general night use and not be limited or have to plan his hunting trips around the weather.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 7:03:45 AM EDT
[#43]
MunnyShot, I thought about your second option there with the laser but I do not think he would be satisfied in the end........ I know I wasn't when I started out that exact way. I wanted thermal. But OP, it is another option to consider
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 7:23:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
MunnyShot, I thought about your second option there with the laser but I do not think he would be satisfied in the end........ I know I wasn't when I started out that exact way. I wanted thermal. But OP, it is another option to consider
View Quote
For ethical hunting I would agree with you due to the probability of getting a clean kill with a reticule vs a IR laser. I'd say it's about the same with a red dot sight vs a magnified scope, but for night hunt/eradication IMHO it's a good option which I find myself looking into more frequently.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 9:59:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Let's not also forget thermal will be limited/ fails at if it's lightly raining, foggy, and humid conditions.
View Quote
This statement is totally false, try using NV in fog, it is a waste of time. Thermal works in rain, fog and humidity.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 12:20:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

This statement is totally false, try using NV in fog, it is a waste of time. Thermal works in rain, fog and humidity.
View Quote
I guess FLIR is full of it then, but then again you probably have more experience than them:
https://www.flirmedia.com/MMC/CVS/Tech_Notes/TN_0001_EN.pdf
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 12:22:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Let's not also forget thermal will be limited/ fails at if it's lightly raining, foggy, and humid conditions.
Not sure what thermal your using MunnyShot, but tank is right, under those conditions thermal is superior.

ETA: From the article you cite @MunnyShot

Conclusion & results
According to these models, Cat I and Cat II types
of fog, the thermal IR band offers better range
performance compared to the visual band. As
such, thermal IR cameras are well suited to look
through these types of fog.
The models suggest that
thermal imaging cameras are potentially useful as
landing aids for airplanes or as part of driver vision
enhancement systems for the transportation and
automotive industry
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 12:27:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Not sure what thermal your using MunnyShot, but tank is right, under those conditions thermal is superior.
View Quote
I hope so, since I have only look through one (not sure what brand/model it was)and I'm looking into one that will suit my needs best weather it's a hand held TV remote style, monocular, or weapons mounted. From stuff I've found so far FLIR says it is affected by atmospheric conditions.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 12:37:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

ETA: From the article you cite @MunnyShot

Conclusion & results
According to these models, Cat I and Cat II types
of fog, the thermal IR band offers better range
performance compared to the visual band. As
such, thermal IR cameras are well suited to look
through these types of fog.
The models suggest that
thermal imaging cameras are potentially useful as
landing aids for airplanes or as part of driver vision
enhancement systems for the transportation and
automotive industry
View Quote
That's correct the more aids you have of course help, but downgraded CAT I/II landing still has a lot of limitations vs a CAT III autoland. Believe me pilots hate when they have to actually have to fly the plane  when you take away their AP, EPGWS or CAT III capabilities.

The statement is still correct as atmospheric conditions limits thermal capabilities. I have also used NV in the fog/smoke and it sucks, but it's still capable in the rain and humidity.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 12:44:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
My brother has the PVS 14 and XP38.  I have nothing yet and I'm wondering do I go PVS14 first or thermal scope/clip on first or I2 scope or clip on etc.

If you were in my shoes and starting from scratch with 5K, where would you start?

Thanks.
View Quote
PVS-14, helmet mounted, with rifle mounted laser/IR Illuminator,  THEN a thermal rifle scope.   You are a little short, probably, but not much, and not if you keep an eye on the EE.

Also, I’m in Myrtle Beach and would love to help you with your piggie problem
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top