Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2021 2:04:35 PM EDT
TL/DR, I need help understanding Sako Optilock rings and bases.

I recently picked up a grail rifle of mine, a Sako 85 Bavarian Carbine in .308.

I already have a Steiner GS3 2-10x42 optic with a German #4 style reticle to mount on top, and a 30mm tube.

As per a review on the link for the optic, it should work well with my particular firearm.  As it so happens, I was able to get in touch with the other rifle's owner (whose setup I accidentally cloned) and he confirmed that he used low Optilock rings.

On the Sako Scope Mount Chart it says I should be able to go for extra-low rings.

However, when perusing ring choices, I am not sure if I should go with the $144 Blued Optilock rings with mount, or if I should go with the $76 rings and this $70 base or this $53 base.  I admittedly don't know a whole lot about the Optilock systems, other than that they're expensive and supposed to be awesome.

From what I can tell the two-part system doesn't come in extra low (which isn't a problem according to the guy with a similar setup), but might be QD (and will likely block the irons if it is?) and I can't tell the difference in the bases.  While the integral mounted rings seem like they can come in extra low, but are not QD.

Help?  I am out of my league, and this expensive mounting system is complicated.  Unless it's as simple as "this system is 1 piece, this system is 2 piece".  

Alternately, help me figure out cheaper spots to buy these than the Beretta web store.  Eurooptic seems to have them all for cheaper, but then I would still like to know what I'm looking at.

ETA:  ordered the 30mm low one piece Optilock thing.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 8:45:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Wise choice on the one piece which is the way to go for Optilock from what I've gathered when I was sourcing the same.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 1:48:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Optilock is why I didn't get a Sako 85 that was decently priced.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 6:37:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Wise choice on the one piece which is the way to go for Optilock from what I've gathered when I was sourcing the same.
View Quote
Would you care to share what you gathered when doing the same search?  
Quoted:
Optilock is why I didn't get a Sako 85 that was decently priced.
View Quote

Please elaborate? @Uys
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 8:15:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I just did not like the choices out there for it.  The www did show me that someone makes a one-piece weaver/pic rail for the Sako receiver.  Near Mfg in Canada.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 5:32:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the same carbine in .30-06. I absolutely love it. I had the same confusion on mounting. Near Manufacturing does a stainless rail mount - they made it black for me... (not sure if blue or anodized or what but it matches the receiver). Then I just used regular night force rings. It is beautifully machined.

http://www.nearmfg.com

It requires zero screws or hardware. Just a rubber mallet to seat it vs the integral mount. It is much better than the rail on eurooptic which uses set screws (I have both).

Link Posted: 4/3/2021 5:52:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I also tried the “QD” rings. They are terrible. Wind up spring system. Seriously doubt it is anything close to a return to zero.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 6:46:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have the same carbine in .30-06. I absolutely love it. I had the same confusion on mounting. Near Manufacturing does a stainless rail mount - they made it black for me... (not sure if blue or anodized or what but it matches the receiver). Then I just used regular night force rings. It is beautifully machined.

http://www.nearmfg.com

It requires zero screws or hardware. Just a rubber mallet to seat it vs the integral mount. It is much better than the rail on eurooptic which uses set screws (I have both).

View Quote
Awesome.  I'll keep that in mind if I am dissatisfied with the rings I bought
Quoted:
I also tried the "QD" rings. They are terrible. Wind up spring system. Seriously doubt it is anything close to a return to zero.
View Quote
That makes me quite glad I didn't spring for those
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top