Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2019 1:26:51 AM EDT
I have a ML pistol I built from a kit some 35+ years ago and haven't shot it in that time either. I'd like to take it out and shoot it with my daughter but not 100% sure I remember how. I still have old round balls, patches, black powder, flask/measure and some caps.

For the loading process, pretty sure I put my finger over the top of the measure, pointed it down and opened/closed the lever to fill it and then dumped that down the bore. Next I put a patch on the muzzle and then the ball and used the rod to ram in down on top the powder. Add a cap and fire. I watched a number of videos and that seems to be the process.

What I'm not sure about is the lube. Do I put the lube on the patch or use the patch dry? I'm finding mixed info online. The directions seem to indicate the patch is lubed. If lubed, how much? Can I pre-lube them at home?

Also, how often do I need to clean between shots and do I need a cleaning jag? Not sure how I cleaned it before but might have just wrapped a cleaning patch around a brass brush and ran it up and down. Not sure we ever cleaned it between shots but not sure we ever shot it much to begin with.

Is that lube in the pic any good? Especially if it's 35 years old?

Anything else I need to know or got wrong?

Thanks.

Link Posted: 12/31/2019 4:37:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice pistol.

You've got the loading process right.

The lube is fine.  You can also use Mobil 1, Crisco, Vagisil, bacon grease, or Vicks VapoRub.  Or don't lube at all. It's not critical.  
It's easiest to prelube the patches and carry them in a ziplock bag.  Patches do three things - seal the bore for higher velocity, keep the ball from falling out, and the lube keeps water out of the powder.

Clean between shots when the bore gets crusty enough you can't force a ball down it.
After shooting clean with hot soapy water and dry carefully.  Then coat with oil.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 11:15:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Sylvester loads Black Powder Rifle
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 2:12:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the confirmation.

One more question. As I understand it, there is a range where BP would be safe. Maybe as low as 15-20 grains for a light load up to around 45 grains. Problem is, I have no idea how much powder my brass measure dispenses. If I weigh it on my reloading scale, can I convert that back to volume in some way? I'd like to figure out what the load is and if it's a low end, mild, hot load or something approaching "standard" for that caliber (whatever that is).
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 2:30:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Any idea what kit that was you made it from?

I've been looking at picking one up and really like the look of that one.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 4:17:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any idea what kit that was you made it from?

I've been looking at picking one up and really like the look of that one.
View Quote
Not sure but barrel says Dikar Spain if that helps any.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 7:32:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the confirmation.

One more question. As I understand it, there is a range where BP would be safe. Maybe as low as 15-20 grains for a light load up to around 45 grains. Problem is, I have no idea how much powder my brass measure dispenses. If I weigh it on my reloading scale, can I convert that back to volume in some way? I'd like to figure out what the load is and if it's a low end, mild, hot load or something approaching "standard" for that caliber (whatever that is).
View Quote
There are 7000 grains in one pound.  437.5 grains in one ounce.
So 43.75 grains in 1/10th ounce.
If you weigh .1 ounce of powder on your postal scale, that's a 43.75 grain charge, and .05 oz would be 21.53 grains.

Black powder is much more forgiving than smokeless.  Wide variations in loading are possible and safe.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 8:50:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

There are 7000 grains in one pound.  437.5 grains in one ounce.
So 43.75 grains in 1/10th ounce.
If you weigh .1 ounce of powder on your postal scale, that's a 43.75 grain charge, and .05 oz would be 21.53 grains.

Black powder is much more forgiving than smokeless.  Wide variations in loading are possible and safe.
View Quote
Thanks. I have a reloading scale in grains. What I don't know is how much a given weight of BP converts to volume. Obviously, FFg will weight different from FFFg at the same volume due to different density. Is there a known conversion for this?

For example, if I weight a charge of FFFg from my flask/measure and it's 30 gr what is the volume of the measure from my flask?
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 10:21:03 PM EDT
[#8]
There isn't any way to convert weight to volume since different brands of black powder have different densities due to different compositions.  I see you have Gerhart Owen powder.  Good stuff.

When considering charges, volume isn't relevant.  Weight of powder is what matters.

So dump a charge from your powder flask on your scale and get the weight.

To get the volume of the charge your powder flask throws
1. Remove the spout
2. Measure the length and the interior diameter of each end of the spout
3. Find the formula for the volume of a cone with those dimensions.

OR

Pour one charge into an empty .38spl case.  Note the top of the powder column and trim the case to that length.  Solder, braze, or superglue a handle on it for a really cool powder dipper.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 10:39:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I second the "38  special" case method....I have the one my Daddy made back in the 50's....
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 1:54:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Actually, I have a set of Lee powder scoops so I guess I could just find the one closest to the amount from the flask.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 12:48:04 AM EDT
[#11]
So I was able to put a few balls through it today and seems pretty anemic with what I think is a 30 grain measure. Maybe fine though for what I'll ever use this for.

Another question. My old patches are really thin. No idea what size but thinner than the .015" (or even .018" not sure as it doesn't say) pre-lubed patches I picked up. I didn't try to load with those as I didn't want to end up with a stuck ball, but would these be fine or too tight with the .440 round balls I have?
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 1:11:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top