BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2018 9:24:18 PM EDT
Here's what I already have, or has shipped and is in route to me:

• Ops Core Fast Carbon helmet with VAS shroud

• Two L3 Gen 3 filmless PVS-14s

• Integrated Components D14 Bridge Mount System

• Norotos LoSto Hyper mount

• Princeton Tec helmet mount task light (with IR)

• Streamlight Sidewinder Compact II (with IR) currently mounted on plate carrier

• Aimpoint PRO optic (NVD compatible) mounted on AR15 SBR

• Scout light mounted on AR15 SBR (white light only)

• YHM Phantom supressor

I'm holding off on selecting and purchasing a DBAL laser/illuminator until I receive my next bonus check in September

Hit me up with any other related accessories you would suggest.
I particularly need input on specific model of a storage case of appropriate size for the helmet, dual PVS-14s, and mounts
Here's what I've already thought of and intend to purchase within the next 30 days:

I'm not shooting any night matches anytime soon, so an IR strobe is probably lower priority,
probably a Hel-Star 6 and an IR chemlight

Anything I'm missing?
Anything a gimmick rather than practical?
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 10:51:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a veil so when you run into someone you can squat down, cover up and not be bothered. If "someone" might be Immigration or Game Officers, have a strobe.
I like the Tactical Concealment veils, but they are too net-like and get snagged on helmet stuff. So I have cotton Thunderhead veils for use over my helmet rigs. $10

I carry a few visible and IR Cyalume sticks too. Helps out when you want to backtrack and for other stuff. It's easy to wander off your memory map when you are using NV. I always buy expired IR ones, because they are cheap and plenty bright enough to find.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 12:10:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks good. Where are you located?  I’ve got a spot I go to if you don’t.

I’m in Queen creek. My spot is about an hour away. Sometimes I hook up with another guy but that about an hour and fourth five away.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 12:40:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks good. Where are you located?  I’ve got a spot I go to if you don’t.

I’m in Queen creek. My spot is about an hour away. Sometimes I hook up with another guy but that about an hour and fourth five away.
View Quote
West valley.  Avondale/Goodyear area.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 1:09:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

West valley.  Avondale/Goodyear area.
View Quote
Oh, ok. Goodyear is actually where I go meet my friend. In fact much go Friday night. You going to have your stuff by then?
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 4:59:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm sure someone will chime in with the butler creek caps pinhole mod to change depth of field to supposedly allow you to see closer.  I did not have that experience with that trick.  The pinholes massively cut down on the ambient light while made them at best situationaly useful, and I found the things clumsier to snap securely 'closed' than to just turn the focus on the PVS14.  I would rather have a sacrificial lens on the front, because those caps are doing nothing to protect your NVD from the branches and crap you will inevitably miss while they are open.

I use type 1 paracord to dummy cord stuff that I might use at night, like a compass/gps/task light.  You will likely fumble with stuff, we all do, and its just easier to have it corded to something than grope around or be forced to use a task light to find it.  Type 1 paracord is very thin so you can drill loop holes into most anything, and 95lbs tensile strength is more than enough for small items.  I even used it to cord my NVD to my helmet.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 8:24:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Oh, ok. Goodyear is actually where I go meet my friend. In fact much go Friday night. You going to have your stuff by then?
View Quote
I am tied up Friday picking a guest up from the airport for a weekend stay with us.
Perhaps we can plan something after I acquire a DBAL.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 7:11:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I am tied up Friday picking a guest up from the airport for a weekend stay with us.
Perhaps we can plan something after I acquire a DBAL.
View Quote
Sure. That works. Shoot me a PM when you’re ready.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 8:05:00 PM EDT
[#8]
With dual PVS14's on a bridge, is it typical to run lanyard to both of them in case the dovetail release button gets accidentally pressed, or do most people just wrap cord around the bridge piece and clip a lanyard to that?
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 8:17:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
With dual PVS14's on a bridge, is it typical to run lanyard to both of them in case the dovetail release button gets accidentally pressed, or do most people just wrap cord around the bridge piece and clip a lanyard to that?
View Quote
I think it depends on your system. Withmine the 14’s screw into the bridge so I don’t think those can easily fall off so I just tie my lanyard to one of the 14’s in case the rhino ii pops off or my bridge comes off my rhino ii
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 3:47:41 PM EDT
[#10]
This is not going to help, but here it goes anyway...

quick check shows a pvs-14 weighs 12.4 oz. a Wilcox bino bridge 8.7oz (d-14 is 4.4oz). As such, mine with a single pvs-14 weighs more than a new design bino, and with 2 it is ridiculous. Then add the necessary 2lbs of counter weights and I simply do not bother wearing it.

I know now the reasons why it is done. You want to be able to share. And maybe that is realistic for you. It was my reasoning as well. In 3 years I have shared once. Plus I have a thermal that I can always share if I was not hunting alone. In the end I am asking myself now why I don't have dedicated binoculars for myself rather than a spare unused space pvs-14. Ymmv

now perhaps if I did wear it I would navigate more with it and use the whole setup more. Hard to be sure of what if's. Likewise I might have New hunting buddies soon and that change my whole outlook. Besides my kids getting older (and will hunt in a few years), I know their friends fathers do serious night pest control
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 6:34:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

quick check shows a pvs-14 weighs 12.4 oz. a Wilcox bino bridge 8.7oz (d-14 is 4.4oz). As such, mine with a single pvs-14 weighs more than a new design bino, and with 2 it is ridiculous. Then add the necessary 2lbs of counter weights and I simply do not bother wearing it.

I know now the reasons why it is done. You want to be able to share. And maybe that is realistic for you. It was my reasoning as well. In 3 years I have shared once. Plus I have a thermal that I can always share if I was not hunting alone. In the end I am asking myself now why I don't have dedicated binoculars for myself rather than a spare unused space pvs-14. Ymmv

now perhaps if I did wear it I would navigate more with it and use the whole setup more. Hard to be sure of what if's. Likewise I might have New hunting buddies soon and that change my whole outlook. Besides my kids getting older (and will hunt in a few years), I know their friends fathers do serious night pest control
View Quote
Two 14’s = 24.8 ounces
Ic dual lightweight bridge 3.2 ounces

Sentinels 20.x  23 if you go ball and detent

So 5-8 more ounces than sents. And 2 pounds of counterweight?  I don’t run nearly that much.

Dunno, I think people make too big of a deal. Doesn’t bother me even after hours and hours and hours of use. Ymmv
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 6:35:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
The reason I would go with dual 14s is to have the option to split them up and while duals and a D-14 is @ 29oz vs Sentinels @ 21oz by wearing a bump or Nite Cap vs a ballistic can help when wearing dual 14s for an extended periods of time. For me having a tactical advantage by sharing NODs out weighs the advantage of saving 8oz. Also having the option to mount a thermo and be even more capable on detection and PID vs a single system ain't a bad thing either. I do get your point dedicated Binos are well worth it and saving every oz helps, but being where I live I know a total of 5 guys that have NV and none of them go out on a regular basis.

For accessories priorities
1) retention, para cord or lanyard
2) DBAL D2 or MAWL
3) battery pouch/counter weight
4) white light SF Scout etc
5) ARC rails
6) 3M rail mounted ear pro
7) SF V1 w/VTAC mounted to ARC rail
8) Glo Tube IR strobe
9) Place to sleep when your wife finds the credit card bill for all the crap you bought.....
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 2:35:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I find the Wilcox lanyards slightly annoying because of how they attach to my PVS14 and pull taught. A loose lanyard, 550 lanyard is much less intrusive. I dont know if that would be different on a bridge. Perhaps you could connect to the bridge instead of each 14 if they are scewed in. But dummy cording so you dont drop your NV is always #1 on the list.

Second would be a counterweight for your neck with all that weight.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 3:56:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I would get a higher mount or riser for your Aimpoint so you can have much more natural passive aiming instead of struggling with a standard mount. This will definitely come in handy since you won't be using an IR laser for a while.

I use a leupold mk1.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top