Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2022 6:47:45 AM EDT
I am working a AR for a friend who is on a budget, and wants a basic hardworking stainless suppressor that is budget minded.  

I narrowed down my search to Energetic Armament VOX, Rex Silencium 5.56 and an Otter Creek Polonium.  I have hear lots of good things about Rex and their customer service, but brand seems to be just below the radar.  The OCL is new, so no real experience from anyone.  Attractive, but hard to take company seriously with founders Instagram antics.  EA seemed to have a solid start with the best metals, but is the VOX really that good, and comoany was sold to a group of sales guys.

I don’t need the best or the guys who spend money on marketing.  I just need good enough and not going fall apart with heavy use, and solid people who will warranty the product.  am leaning toward VOX as Karl build those.

Tell me I am wrong.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 8:22:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Rex in caliber specific model will give decent muzzle suppression for price/size/weight.  In the same vein a YHM Turbo K could be a good fit.  Tuning the gas will get closer to optimal functionality.  Barrel length and use cases could drive other choices as far as flash, use with NODs, need for low back pressure, etc .  Use on other hosts might push towards a .30 cal can.  I like my Vox-S as a 5.56 can for size, weight, and good enough suppression, and adaptability to other host calibers.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 9:10:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I am working a AR for a friend who is on a budget, and wants a basic hardworking stainless suppressor that is budget minded.
View Quote
Sounds like the Griffin Recce 5 to me. It's only about $50-75 more than a YHM Turbo.

Rugged's Razor 5.56 is worth a look too in the same price range.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 10:19:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Rex is solid. no BS warranty. looks cool. inexpensive. mounting versatility. I recommend them to people on a budget.

But also the the new griffin explorr. very lightweight (which is my most important factor), sounds good. People tend to shift towards heavier, more "durable" cans, but you aren't shooting out barrels, much less silencers. but you are carrying the weight on your muzzle every time you shoot.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 10:24:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I like my Rex, working great
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 10:37:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I like my Rex, the Polonium would be my pick from the ones listed above if I was to branch out.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 1:34:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I love my rex mg7s in 224 and 30 cal. The 224 is shared between my 16" and 10.3". Its much gasser on my 10.3", but im also a lefty and have done zero to try and divert the gas.

One day ill buy a polonium, although I have no regrets buying my rex cans. Andrew/ocl is awesome. You can't go wrong with either and they're both 1.375x24 rear threads, so they get about as "future proof" when it comes to cans.

Since your on a budget, you can get rex cans for 30% off at hansohn with code "rex30". No affiliation. I just buy all my rex cans from them.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 1:42:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Tell me I am wrong.
View Quote

You are wrong.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 1:47:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You are wrong.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tell me I am wrong.

You are wrong.

You don't like the VOX?
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 2:59:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You don't like the VOX?
View Quote

I haven’t shot a VOX, but wouldn’t hesitate to buy one as I love my NYX.

He asked for us to tell him he’s wrong.

I also love my MG7.

I’d probably be looking at a Turbo though. (For his stated priorities.)

He didn’t state if it was a dedicated can, so we can’t figure in mount costs really.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 12:55:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks fir all the feedback.  I think I am back where I started, but surprised at the votes for Rex and even Turbo.  I am not sure is much difference in a basic heavy duty steel can.  I am leaning toward VOX.  Prices are all very close.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 10:16:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Based on what we’ve seen of the polonium so far, I think it would be a pretty good choice considering the price and it meets your needs for hard use and good warranty. I also quite like Rex’s no bs warranty as well
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 2:50:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Rex is solid. no BS warranty. looks cool. inexpensive. mounting versatility. I recommend them to people on a budget.

But also the the new griffin explorr. very lightweight (which is my most important factor), sounds good. People tend to shift towards heavier, more "durable" cans, but you aren't shooting out barrels, much less silencers. but you are carrying the weight on your muzzle every time you shoot.
View Quote

I agree regarding weight.  When I first started buying suppressors, I thought I needed extremely durable cans.  I now rarely shoot with those cans because they weigh a ton and lighter "less durable" cans work fine, to include handling rapid fire.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 5:15:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks fir all the feedback.  I think I am back where I started, but surprised at the votes for Rex and even Turbo.  I am not sure is much difference in a basic heavy duty steel can.  I am leaning toward VOX.  Prices are all very close.
View Quote

is the price on a Vox “very close” to the Rex? I bought mine discounted both through Rex and Hansohn and the prices were almost ridiculously low.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 7:29:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sounds like the Griffin Recce 5 to me. It's only about $50-75 more than a YHM Turbo.

Rugged's Razor 5.56 is worth a look too in the same price range.
View Quote

Griffin also has a rebate going right now
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 9:46:47 PM EDT
[#15]
You can buy the Rex right now for $350 with Hanson brothers coupon , they are the best dealer to deal with and an industry partner here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top