Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2019 1:42:04 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 7:48:39 AM EDT
[#1]
If I remember right a Marlin 60 handles all three

ETA - forgot about the bolt action part of your request, Marlin 981t was the bolt action version I think
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 8:18:03 AM EDT
[#2]
The Marlin XT-22TR is tube fed and will handle all three rounds. It was available for about $200.00. You can check with Gander Outdoors or any other retailer

The 22 short idea is a bad one. Too many times a bullet won't make it out of the barrel and a second round will bulge the barrel. They used to be called a 'ringed' barrel are there are many of them out there. Most people don't know what to look for but it's happened a lot. If you decide to buy a used rife that'll shoot 22 Shorts, you need to inspect the barrel closely. If it's 'ringed', there'll be a bulge about 6 to 8 inches from the muzzle end. It'll be slight but you'll be able to feel it.

No reason for poo slinging. I've heard all the stories about 22 shorts being fired with no problem from their grandpa's gun. Did you inspect the barrel? Do you know what and where to look for a bulge? When was the rifle fired, in the summer time or winter? Big difference between firing a worn out barrel in the summer vs and a new, tight barrel in the winter.
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 10:54:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 10:42:27 PM EDT
[#4]
+1 for a Marlin XT. I had one in .17HMR and that damn thing was crazy accurate. I never had a problem out of it. I'm slightly biased since I used to make the receivers for them
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 8:38:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a Remington 512, good shooter, and pairs well with my Speedmaster.

Yea, the Marlin XT22 is the only new production tube fed bolt action I know of.

I mainly shoot .22 shorts thru the 512, I think shorts and a bolt action are a good combo but I’ve not seen a mag fed rimfire that can do that, which is why I like tube fed rimfires. And you can cram a half a box of shorts in a tube.

I don’t own a can but I think Marlin is missing the boat by not threading the XT22 and calling it ‘suppressor ready’ with shorts.

On the other end of the rimfire spectrum, the XT22 is also available in .22wmr but while their website shows both a mag & tube version I’ve not found a NIB tube fed version for sale.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top