Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2020 6:29:15 PM EDT
Like the title says, looking for a ballistic helmet and have narrowed it down a bit but would like ARFCOMs input.  My parameters: ballistic, high cut prefered, rails / nvg mount included, foliage/ranger green (black acceptable). 22.25 inch head,  Budget 500-1K +/-, I'd like to keep it sub 3lbs.   All prices/stats pulled from own the night.

Value but heavier:

Revision Viper (kitted): $580 - ~3.25 lbs

Gentex TBH-III: $670 -  3.17 lbs

Pricy but lighter:

Revision Batlskin Premium: $800 - 2.7 lbs

Revision Viper P4: $1,100 - 2.5 lbs

(Sigh) Team Wendy 3.0: $1080 - 2.6 lbs

How would the pricier options stack against the Opscore LE/XP/FAST?  Would the pricier options be worth it for the weight savings given the prices?  Anything I'm missing or better options / prices at other vendors?  

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 7:52:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 1:18:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The Galvion/Revision and the Gentex are great options. What you're getting stepping up to the Ops Core FAST line is varying degrees of reduced weight via more expensive materials.

If you need this professionally and will be wearing it regularly the more expensive options will serve you well and upto appreciate the lighter weight especially if you're adding lots of gear to it.

If you don't have have to wear it regularly or aren't a professional armor wearer and don't have a need for extra gear (battery pack, lights, comms gear, cameras, and strobes simultaneously) then the Galvion and TBH-II options are excellent.

While I absolutely love my issued OC SF, no way would I be paying the $1900 price tag over the much less expensive options.
View Quote

Thanks for the input. Not a professional user, I won't be wearing it for extended periods of time (hopefully). I do plan to add NVGs but that won't be for some time.

I guess my question comes down to is the half a pound or so weight savings worth the additional cost over revision/gentex?

Anyone have experience with the Revision Batlskin premium helmet? Seems to be the Goldilocks on price and weight.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 1:42:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 1:50:22 PM EDT
[#4]
None of the above.

I bought the lightest and most versatile head gear I could find for a similar price to one of your options. The 1.26 lb ballistic rated 3M Ceradyne Ultra Light Weight Ballistic Bump helmet. 1.26 lbs in medium and stops pistol rounds.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Ultra-Light-Weight-Ballistic-Bump-Helmet-N49/?N=5002385+3292678813&rt=rud
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 2:10:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
None of the above.

I bought the lightest and most versatile head gear I could find for a similar price to one of your options. The 1.26 lb ballistic rated 3M Ceradyne Ultra Light Weight Ballistic Bump helmet. 1.26 lbs in medium and stops pistol rounds.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Ultra-Light-Weight-Ballistic-Bump-Helmet-N49/?N=5002385+3292678813&rt=rud
View Quote

@Steve_Phila where did you buy it? I can't seem to find them anywhere.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 2:48:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 3:00:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Check out the PGD ARCH helmet. IIIA,  out the door <$400. They are pretty open regarding its features, construction, material sourcing, etc.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 4:12:01 PM EDT
[#8]
SAO: Finding them is the hard part. I got mine after much search and work. It cost a grand and is worth every cent.

As for its balilstic rating, it is rated IIIA. It gets the "bump" qualification from the D30 pad system on the inside of the helmet. Sure, there may be deformation but that is a trade off I am willing to take. Hell, the many times heavier PASGT wouldnt stop 9mm. There is no perfect solution.

Helmet covers are available from Agilite, it is good and I like mine.
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 7:20:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I purchased and received my HHV helmet. I'm looking for a second helmet now. I'm thinking Ops-Core. I'm trying to remember the members name in here that works for a retailer that sells them. Does anyone know who that is? I would like to buy from a fellow member/retailer that is part of ARF.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 3:59:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I've read in multiple places that helmet, while it it will stop pistol rounds, has a very severe problem with back face deformation due to its light and thin construction and that it's a bump helmet with some frag protection, not a helmet designed for real ballistic protection.
View Quote

A teammate of mine took a 5.56 round from close range to the side of this 3M helmet and lived with minor injury from that round. It’s only one instance but I’d say it provides much more than some frag protection and I feel very confident wearing it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 9:24:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I purchased and received my HHV helmet. I'm looking for a second helmet now. I'm thinking Ops-Core. I'm trying to remember the members name in here that works for a retailer that sells them. Does anyone know who that is? I would like to buy from a fellow member/retailer that is part of ARF.
View Quote

How do you like the HHV helmet? I’ve been debating on purchasing one.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 12:22:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

How do you like the HHV helmet? I’ve been debating on purchasing one.
View Quote

I like it. I think it was a good buy.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 3:18:41 PM EDT
[#13]
OK, have to ask, not filthy rich like everyone else here, so I'm looking at one of those high-cut ACH helmets Kota Outfitters sells. They're evidently made in South Korea, and yeah they're regular weight (3.3lbs). Any opinions? Rated and supposedly tested at IIIa. Price is in my range without having to wait six months to save.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 7:37:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Kota has ACH High Cut helmets in stock size large in all colors available.

Edit: I bought 2 large in black. Would like to trade at least one for a medium if someone decides they want a large. I have a 23" dome and can go either way. My son however would probably prefer a medium.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 8:07:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
OK, have to ask, not filthy rich like everyone else here, so I'm looking at one of those high-cut ACH helmets Kota Outfitters sells. They're evidently made in South Korea, and yeah they're regular weight (3.3lbs). Any opinions? Rated and supposedly tested at IIIa. Price is in my range without having to wait six months to save.
View Quote

I would trust SK QA and QC far ahead of anything in China.

If you are handy you could get a US made ACH/MICH/DH-132/PASGT and modify it.  Honestly, most people would be just fine with a regular ACH or PASGT, and would have more coverage.  The vast majority of US soldiers don't wear the cool guy helmet and do just fine.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 8:58:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Kota is sold out so you no longer have to worry dude. Ill post again next time I see them.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 12:27:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Deleted...
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 8:20:12 AM EDT
[#18]
OPS-CORE FAST ST HIGH CUT HELMET for under 650 shipped

Code CLASKY for 20% off listed price.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 8:23:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's only available in S/M for sizing.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 8:54:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Doesn’t have an option for buckle on right side for left eye dominant people. Does the side the buckle is on really make a difference?
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 7:32:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Does that code work for all their products or just that helmet?
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 4:10:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Does that code work for all their products or just that helmet?
View Quote

All their products.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 9:41:39 AM EDT
[#23]
16 weeks wait though
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 11:54:42 AM EDT
[#24]
I would recommend you consider a surplus ACH/MICH. You can find them with H nape suspension already for $150.00. This will be the standard padding system. Over time you can upgrade the padding to something better for about $100.

Wear this set up for a while and you will have a better idea of what you like and need.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 12:18:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I would recommend you consider a surplus ACH/MICH. You can find them with H nape suspension already for $150.00. This will be the standard padding system. Over time you can upgrade the padding to something better for about $100.

Wear this set up for a while and you will have a better idea of what you like and need.  
View Quote

Where to buy?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top