Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2021 5:53:07 PM EDT
I’m looking for something to deer hunt with and have some fun at the range (100 - 600m). Availability will obviously be a factor here. I’d really love to find a Howa 1500 multicam but they seem to be unobtainium.

20”-22” barrel
Threaded barrel
Medium - heavy contour
Reliable and reputable action
Known for MOA accuracy
Synthetic stock (not picky here)
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 5:58:43 PM EDT
[#1]
SCAR20
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 6:22:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
SCAR20
View Quote

You’re in the “bolt action rifle” forum.  

OP, I’ve been looking for something extremely similar (although I want to drop it into a LW chassis).  Through all my research I’ve settled on either a Tikka CTR or something from the Bergara B-14 line, both of which shouldn’t have any problem meeting all of your requirements.

Only problem is, bolt guns are clean picked through at the moment.  I’ve had damn near zero luck finding anything midrange in stock anywhere.  If budget isn’t too big of a concern, a lot of the Bergara Premier series rifle seem to be somewhat readily available at a number of different retailers, but you’re looking at $1500+ for the base rifle.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 7:36:52 PM EDT
[#3]
What's your price, OP?

First thing that comes to mind is the Steyr Scout but that's a $1,500 rifle.

Other guns that come to mind:

Savage 110 Tactical
Howa Full Dip

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 7:43:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What's your price, OP?

First thing that comes to mind is the Steyr Scout but that's a $1,500 rifle.

Other guns that come to mind:

Savage 110 Tactical
Howa Full Dip

View Quote

$1,000 budget for rifle only.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 7:56:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

$1,000 budget for rifle only.
View Quote

In that case you're well in budget for the Savage 110 Tactical and Howa Full Dip.  Tikka T3X CTR is also a good one to consider near the top of your budget.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 8:56:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Bergara B-14 HMR?

Fondled a full dip Howa recently and it was nice.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 9:08:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Savage 110 Tactical owner, you'll love it!

Bergara B-14 Ridge SP is 18" barrel but they look like a fun little rifle. I have a regular ridge rifle in 7mm-08 and it's a shooter!

Tikka T3x Roughtech with 20" barrel

These would be my top three suggestions in no specific order

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 9:31:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Tikka Battue
Ruger Scout (some versions have 18" barrels, but my 16" has been 1MOA in that distance with 165gr)
Savage Scout
Savage Hog Hunter
Mossberg MVP
Ruger American w/aftermarket stock
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 11:07:18 AM EDT
[#9]
What's your budget?  The Christensen Arms Ridgeline will fill the roles you desire, with a greater emphasis on hunting, but still shoot more than adequate at the range.  It is, however, a pricey gun:
https://christensenarms.com/ridgeline/

If the Ridgeline is too light, you can try the Savage 110 Precision:
https://www.savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=57563

It has a chassis instead of a stock and weights just under 9 lbs.  Not so heavy as to be cumbersome, but not so light as to be difficult to control from the bench.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 11:38:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Bergara B14 HMR.
My 6.5 is 3/4" MOA with factory Hornady American Gunner and Hornady Black.
I think it ticks all your boxes. It is a little heavy, so watch your scope weight.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 7:45:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Bergara Ridge
Bergara HMR
Tikka CTR

Any of the above in no particular order. Skip modern R700’s and while the Howa might shoot fine I haven’t handled one that felt like quality.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top