Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2022 10:42:33 AM EDT
I should have purchased a SCAR 16 many moons ago. I figure this may be my last chance before prices become even more crazy than what they are now.

So some questions:

1. NRCH vs std SCAR 16s? I took a NRCH apart, and yes the sled looks like something else that could break in the long run on what is otherwise probably the Western World's most durable rifle. I run my SCAR 17 CH on the right side like an AK with no issues. What other reasons are there to get a NRCH SCAR 16 over the older model, especially if I can find an older model for a few hundred dollars cheaper? I guess they made upgrades to the bolt catch on the NRCH model for use with different STANAG magazines for instance.

Seeking comments on SCAR 16s upgrades:

1. KDG 4.25 or 6.5" rail: I would put a surefire X300 up top like on my ARs (Larry Vickers set up). Is there enough space on the 4.25" model to mount a light up top or do I need the longer model?

2. 14 vs 16" barrel: Would it be dumb to buy a spare 14" barrel and pin/weld a flash hider on? Thinking of balance when running suppressed, that's all.

3. ACR stock: Any reason why not to use one? I do like the std stock on my SCAR 17s though, but sling attachment is a PITA. Any issues with the KRG stock on the 16? I know the 17 doesn't like the Al bracket, which may be mitigated by a different recoil buffer.

4. Geissele trigger: definitely a must have. I love mine on my SCAR 17.

5. Any utility to these: https://www.mototecheng.com/product/3-select-regulator/
https://www.mototecheng.com/product/buffer-pad-rubberized-nylon/

I would be running the rifle suppressed mostly with a KAC QDC 556 can. I'll probably put an Elcan or some other LPVO on top of it. It will be used for IDPA/3 gun type matches, rifle/carbine courses and general purpose use to supplement my current 16" dedicated AR-15 that I run suppressed.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 11:08:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy NRCH version, offer to trade bolts with someone running an older gun... profit?

I have the original versions (16, 17 and 20) and am not planning to change anything until more field testing is complete.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 2:04:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Get all is the correct answer!
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 4:02:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I should have purchased a SCAR 16 many moons ago. I figure this may be my last chance before prices become even more crazy than what they are now.

So some questions:

1. NRCH vs std SCAR 16s? I took a NRCH apart, and yes the sled looks like something else that could break in the long run on what is otherwise probably the Western World's most durable rifle. I run my SCAR 17 CH on the right side like an AK with no issues. What other reasons are there to get a NRCH SCAR 16 over the older model, especially if I can find an older model for a few hundred dollars cheaper? I guess they made upgrades to the bolt catch on the NRCH model for use with different STANAG magazines for instance.

I'm personally looking at another standard SCAR 16S for the same reason. I feel better with one huge carrier vs a multi-part assembly.

Seeking comments on SCAR 16s upgrades:

1. KDG 4.25 or 6.5" rail: I would put a surefire X300 up top like on my ARs (Larry Vickers set up). Is there enough space on the 4.25" model to mount a light up top or do I need the longer model?

4.25 prob gonna be too short. Had the 4.9 and X400 hung off the end a tad so the clamp wasn't on a full pic rail.

2. 14 vs 16" barrel: Would it be dumb to buy a spare 14" barrel and pin/weld a flash hider on? Thinking of balance when running suppressed, that's all.

I have a spare 14" barrel set up the same.

3. ACR stock: Any reason why not to use one? I do like the std stock on my SCAR 17s though, but sling attachment is a PITA. Any issues with the KRG stock on the 16? I know the 17 doesn't like the Al bracket, which may be mitigated by a different recoil buffer.

I will not run any aluminum plated stock on any of my SCAR's. Not worth the risk when the standard stock is pretty good IMO. The new NRCH might fare better since the carrier is lighter

4. Geissele trigger: definitely a must have. I love mine on my SCAR 17.

5. Any utility to these: https://www.mototecheng.com/product/3-select-regulator/
https://www.mototecheng.com/product/buffer-pad-rubberized-nylon/

I would be running the rifle suppressed mostly with a KAC QDC 556 can. I'll probably put an Elcan or some other LPVO on top of it. It will be used for IDPA/3 gun type matches, rifle/carbine courses and general purpose use to supplement my current 16" dedicated AR-15 that I run suppressed.

Just get the right gas jet size for your setup. There is very little I'd do out of the box to the SCAR, even with the shorter receiver.

Thanks
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 9:10:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for the detailed reply
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 10:35:21 PM EDT
[#5]
NRCH vs. STD?
I don't have any issues with the standard.  I found a swept down charging handle to deal with optics, but I don't grab that far back.  If you can find a good price on either one, I think you're good.

KDG rail upgrade?
I found PMM has some pretty awesome options actually.  I looked at KDG and Vltor, but PMM won out and their stuff is GTG.

Spare 14" barrel?
If you can pony up the $, you will be able to recoup it if you decide to sell.  The factory barrels became scarce and were selling at their original asking prices easy.

ACR stock?
From what I've read, the original design calls for a plastic end cap.  I've read about issues when the endcaps have been metal, the ACR stock adapter included.  I was originally interested in one until I read up more on it - particularly if you plan on shooting your rifle extensively.  I've switched stock mounts over to the BFG short loops for compatibility.  PMM also has options that work with the stock stock attachments on the receiver.

Mototech regulator utility?
Absolutely.  Especially if you want to run your rifle suppressed and plan on shooting it that frequently.  I have run a Sandman S, MG7, and a Nomad on both of the suppressed settings.  It functioned on all of them.  I did not pick up a buffer pad, but I wouldn't hesitate trying one.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 11:29:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buy NRCH version, offer to trade bolts with someone running an older gun... profit?
View Quote

pretty sure they aren't interchangeable
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 11:31:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
NRCH vs. STD?
I don't have any issues with the standard.  I found a swept down charging handle to deal with optics, but I don't grab that far back.  If you can find a good price on either one, I think you're good.

KDG rail upgrade?
I found PMM has some pretty awesome options actually.  I looked at KDG and Vltor, but PMM won out and their stuff is GTG.

Spare 14" barrel?
If you can pony up the $, you will be able to recoup it if you decide to sell.  The factory barrels became scarce and were selling at their original asking prices easy.

ACR stock?
From what I've read, the original design calls for a plastic end cap.  I've read about issues when the endcaps have been metal, the ACR stock adapter included.  I was originally interested in one until I read up more on it - particularly if you plan on shooting your rifle extensively.  I've switched stock mounts over to the BFG short loops for compatibility.  PMM also has options that work with the stock stock attachments on the receiver.

Mototech regulator utility?
Absolutely.  Especially if you want to run your rifle suppressed and plan on shooting it that frequently.  I have run a Sandman S, MG7, and a Nomad on both of the suppressed settings.  It functioned on all of them.  I did not pick up a buffer pad, but I wouldn't hesitate trying one.  
View Quote

I like my ugg boots actually and sold off my KDG stocks. Then again, I don't get in and out of Humvees for a living in body armor and unfold/fold the stock 1000 times. Nor do I use the ugg boot to beat in skulls.

As a collapsible, lightweight stock, the factory one is pretty good, especially with the cheek riser.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 11:33:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty sure they are. There is a conversion kit to convert gen 1 to the NRCH. The could also include some changes to the upper though besides the BCG.

Worst case, but a GB SCAR 16 with the NRCH and if you don't like it, resell and buy a used older one. Plenty of dudes out there looking for the newest, bestest rifle to store in their safes.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 10:02:40 PM EDT
[#9]
There is a third party conversion kit to make the gen 1 have a NRCH.

The NRCH and the original’s bolt carriers are NOT compatible.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 4:56:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Older SCARs with reciprocating charging handles can indeed be upgraded once FN released the NRCH retrofit kits.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 11:56:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Update:

I got my SCAR 16 NRCH. Installed a 14" barrel with a pin and welded Dead Air Keymo flash hider so it is over 16". I also installed a KDG rail and an Elcan. Waiting on a Dead Air can.

Thoughts:

1. After 200 rounds, things are finally broken in. Meaning, the sled and bolt carrier glide more easily. I would really have to pull back the charging handle all of the way and let the bolt/bolt carrier ride home. Otherwise, at times the bolt would not completely close on a live round or even dry. Now I don't have that problem, and yes I always lube my rifles before and after I shoot them (Slip 2000 EWL). Also, the sled was nearly impossible to remove when I first got the rifle. Now it comes out easily.

2. The NRCH handles move around in the sled when attached. They wobble. I find this disconcerting considering my SCAR 17 from 2012 has used the same charging handle without any wobble. I'm guessing this is because the non-reciprocating charging handle only grabs the sled and not the bolt carrier. Hence, there is only a small piece of steel extending into the inside of the upper receiver. Hence, it is not as secure. I just wish something was there to give it more purchase so it doesn't feel like it's going to pop out with use.

3. Gun's recoil is nearly close to that of a AR-15. You know it's a piston rifle with a very heavy bolt carrier when you shoot it. However, it cycles very smooth. With the Geissele trigger I installed, it feels great.

Overall I look forward to getting my Dead Air can to try. I went with Keymo because Dead Air makes a SCAR 16 specific FH. There is no shoulder on either the 16s or 17s barrel; I went through pains with my Surefire FH on a SCAR 17 with loss of concentricity, so I wanted to do it right this time and use something that indexes to the muzzle, not the shoulder of the barrel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top