Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/3/2022 4:21:45 PM EDT
Help me logically decide and/or spend my money.

What I want is a .308 M1 Garand, or maybe an M1A Tanker/Scout/Socom with a wooden stock. I was going to buy a .308 Garand "expert" from the CMP, but they sold out 5 days before I submitted my paperwork.

If I got an M1A, I have absolutely zero interest in the full size model, as the "benefit" would be a more modern gas system, and I like the forward optics mounting option if/when my eyes start to go later in life. I wouldn't be a fan of having to stock a new mag pattern, and already dislike the 10 rounder on my Scout rifle when afield due to how it digs into me while slung. On the one hand the shorter M1A type speaks to me, on the other I already have several shorter .308s (and indeed, sold a .308 AK to afford a Ruger Scout many years back, a decision I do not regret). I already have several shorter .308 Carbines: a Ruger Scout, a Sako 85 Bavarian Carbine, and a Spanish .308 Mauser. My Ruger Scout has historically been my hunting rifle, and it might be displaced by my recently acquired Sako, so there would be some risk I would eventually just want to offload the shorter M1A if it overlaps too much with what I already own.

A .308 Garand would piss off purists, but would allow me to consolidate calibers, and would allow me to actually shoot my Garand more often. Downside is that they're rapidly climbing in cost for a .308 version. I already have a .30-06 Garand, and have toyed with sending it somewhere to get converted, as I stock .308. If I bought a .308 Garand I could sell the .30-06 to help recoup some of the costs.

I'm somewhat leaning towards a .308 Garand, especially if I can get it for less than $1800 (and am kicking myself for waiting so long on the expert). On the other hand, the prices they're going for these days make the shorter M1A versions seem somewhat inexpensive in comparison.

ETA: Sent out my Garand for a rebarrel/rechamber/refinish, and I can hardly wait to get it back! I also decided to send to the CMP for a rack grade, because I may give it the same treatment--then I'll have two for the price of one M1A Tanker . I may even send the second one (if I'm lucky enough to get one from the CMP lottery) out to Shuff's Parkerizing for a mini-g conversion.

ETA2: Received my rechambered Garand back from Jeremy2171 (same poster as below), and the Worksmanship/pricing/turnaround were great. He kept me informed every step along the way, and mic'd out my parts on my rifle to let me know some that needed replacing. Reasonable prices and a more than fair turnaround time given what I wanted him to do.

I got a chance to put 50 rounds through it, and it worked flawlessly when it was fed from clips that were worth a damn; any issues were 100% the fault of the old, bent surplus clips I was using, and the newer/better condition ones were flawless. It was about 1-1.5 MOA with some ammo, and about 3 MOA with other ammo. I'm quite pleased with Jeremy's work , less so at my clip selection

After reading this thread, researching, and thinking on it, I also got a CMP rack grade Garand that I want to send back to Jeremy for a .308 rechamber/re-Arsenal, and then to Shuff for a mini-G conversion with an Ultimak rail. As received the "new" CMP rifle had a horrible stock, but the stock from my "old" rifle matched the new stock almost exactly.

I'll get some photos up in the next few days.

ETA3:  Pictures!

The light can give it a gorgeous flat finish:

Next to it's comparatively ratty brother, which is wearing its old stock (albeit hopefully temporarily):

ETA4:  Final configuration of this one:

ETA5:  just send my second .308 Garand off for a Shuff's Mini-G conversion.  Because "get both" seemed like a great answer.

ETA6:  Shuff is running behind.  Right now the best guess is that my rifle "might" be finished by the third week of February; a lead time of 4 months, not 90 days.  

ETA7:  UPS email says ETA of 3/3.  We'll see.  Updated to 3/4.

ETA8: The Mini-G has returned!  Pictures forthcoming

ETA9:  Pictures!

As received back:

With Stabby, stock pouch, and sling:

And with a scope:

The Mini-G is remarkably handy, and I think it'll be a hoot to shoot.  Depending on just how well it performs, I may be able to sell off a couple other guns that this thing will replace.

ETA10:
Mini-G conversion was sent off in October 2022.
Originally due to return January 26 (90 days after cashing check).
Due to temporary illness, rifle return was pushed back "two weeks".
Finally received back today, 03/04/2023.

Shuff seems like a very old-school 'smith.  Shuff's workmanship is great, but the website needs some serious work.  I only heard from him after I reached out first.

Link Posted: 7/3/2022 4:29:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I love my M1A, but based on just your post you definitely want a 308 Garand. Go get one!
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 4:36:26 PM EDT
[#2]
308 garands are awesome.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 5:00:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Rebarrel existing M1 to 308 and move out
About 300 bucks.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 5:10:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 5:15:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Get both.

Seriously.

And why would a purist be offended by a .308 Garand? Even the Military did it with some and they also tended to be quite a bit more accurate then the 30/06 caliber.

Link Posted: 7/3/2022 5:16:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What I want is a .308 M1 Garand.

I ... already dislike the 10 rounder on my Scout rifle when afield due to how it digs into me while slung.  

A .308 Garand would piss off purists, but would allow me to consolidate calibers and actually shoot my Garand more often.  

I already have a .30-06 Garand.
View Quote
Why do you care what a purist wants?  Are they paying, rating, feeding, fighting, or f@rking you?

Quoted:
Rebarrel existing M1 to 308 and move out.   About 300 bucks.
View Quote
View Quote
The cosmos is sending you a clue.

Glass options for later:

Link Posted: 7/3/2022 5:40:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I have both

The Garand was an impulse buy when I drove 5 hours out of my way to visit the south store.  Worth jt!
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 6:08:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm not a Garand guy, vastly preferring the M14/M1A. However, given your scenario, a .308 Garand makes a lot of sense since you like shooting the type and could consolidate cartridges. I'd get that first, and an M1A second.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 6:32:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Rebarrel existing M1 to 308 and move out
About 300 bucks.
View Quote
Please send me a link to wherever I can send it to get rebarreled for $300.  I thought about trying to send mine for the "expert" treatment at CMP (new wood, new barrel, refinished), and it would still be $600, IF they accept it for work, with no real timeline for completion.
Quoted:
Why do you care what a purist wants?  Are they paying, rating, feeding, fighting, or f@rking you?

The cosmos is sending you a clue.

Glass options for later:

https://www.badassoptic.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Hopco-MRD-Mount.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/600x315/3d/2c/3c/3d2c3cd6eae181bfe6ba3636968bb7ea.jpg
View Quote
I have thought about the Ultimak rail or RDS options for on down the line if/when my eyes begin to not work so well with irons anymore.

And typically I don't care about purists, but a Garand just seems different.  They're truly a magical rifle.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 6:34:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
I am oddly intrigued.

ETA:  I probably shouldn't be, for the same reason I am worried I would eventually sell off a shorter M1A:  I already have a lot of .308 carbines.  (And I have a lot of them because I like that they're short and handy).
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 6:42:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a .308 Garand and a 30-06 Garand.

I almost never shoot the .308 Garand.

I shoot the 30-06 occasionally.

I also have a match-grade M1A. I shot it a LOT in the 90's. Only shoot it occasionally now.

I guess there are some gun owners who drag all their guns to the range for the sake of "shooting all their guns." I'm not in that camp.

I've been on this planet a LONG time. I'm at the point where I am only interested in keeping guns I'm going to actually shoot on a regular basis, and not just "plinking" at some oversize steel target on the berm.

If you already have a 30-06 Garand, and you want to shoot .308 for some reason, change the barrel. I never have the urge to go to the range and shoot TWO DIFFERENT Garands. After a solid range session with one of them, my jaw has taken enough beating. No desire to take another beatdown the same day.

Not gonna pimp-out either of the Garands with any shortened this-and-that or tactical accessories. That's what the AR class of guns is for.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 7:06:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 7:27:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have a .308 Garand and a 30-06 Garand.

I almost never shoot the .308 Garand.

I shoot the 30-06 occasionally.

I also have a match-grade M1A. I shot it a LOT in the 90's. Only shoot it occasionally now.

I guess there are some gun owners who drag all their guns to the range for the sake of "shooting all their guns." I'm not in that camp.

I've been on this planet a LONG time. I'm at the point where I am only interested in keeping guns I'm going to actually shoot on a regular basis, and not just "plinking" at some oversize steel target on the berm.

If you already have a 30-06 Garand, and you want to shoot .308 for some reason, change the barrel. I never have the urge to go to the range and shoot TWO DIFFERENT Garands. After a solid range session with one of them, my jaw has taken enough beating. No desire to take another beatdown the same day.

Not gonna pimp-out either of the Garands with any shortened this-and-that or tactical accessories. That's what the AR class of guns is for.
View Quote
That is some wonderful feedback.

I am definitely no longer in the "take/shoot all the things" crowd.  But I absolutely don't shoot my .30-06 Garand often, and find it hard to justify keeping something I don't shoot much, but with how the values on them are rising it would be a fool's game to offload it unless I need to.  But Garands always bring a smile to my face when I handle them, and/or shoot them.  A .308 would fill that void with a more common logistical caliber, and not have me feel bad about offloading the .30-06 version.  

And for some reason a Garand speaks to me in ways an M1A doesn't, despite that an M1A is a better rifle on paper.

And I definitely fought the urge for a BM59.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 8:21:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah I shoot my 308 garands more than my M14s.

I also tweak the 308 M1s to cycle and eject properly if the don't already.   Most don't.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 8:51:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 9:29:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

How are you tweaking them?
View Quote
Ancient Chinese secret :D
I adjust the ejector and ensure the gas port is the correct size.

Gas cylinder/piston wear can affect this.

Link Posted: 7/3/2022 9:29:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

How are you tweaking them?
View Quote

I'm interested as well as my friend has one that occasionally short strokes. It chambers. A fresh round but trigger doesn't reset.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 9:32:53 PM EDT
[#18]
I would go with a 308 Garand or convert my current rifle.  I love the Garand and while I have a Bula M14, it does not get out as much.  The Garand is a work of art.  As far as chopping it up, I just could not myself do that to a Garand.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 12:09:33 AM EDT
[#19]
I've shot two ARFCOMers' M-1A & M-1 Garand side by side, both in .308, when I was demobing in 2019 at Bliss.  They picked me up, & took me to the base sportsman's club.  Had a blast.

Despite the "modern" gas system of the M-14, the Garand shoots noticeably softer.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 1:35:49 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a 308 M1 and at once had two. I sold the fully match prepped one and kept the one with only a barrel swap. Both were by far the most accurate M1’s I have shot. I shoot the 308 about once per year at matches. I shoot my 30-06 M1’s once or twice a month at matches during the season.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 8:34:53 AM EDT
[#21]
OP I see you are located in Virginia.

Keeping in mind that there are parts of Virginia west of Detroit, I will still mention that we start our fall season of VINTAGE gun matches at Fairfax Rod and Gun Club beginning third Saturday in August.

You need 55 bullets.

Range is located near Manassas.

Bring your Garand out and have some fun!

https://www.fxrgc.org/calendar/

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/4/2022 9:24:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 3:54:32 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a 308 Expert and a 30-06 Garand and they are both so much fun to shoot. 308 is the preferred shooter just because I can replace the ammo.
If you can scrounge a 308 Garand barrel, you can convert your '06, or buy one of the Rack grades from CMP for $650 and rebarrel it. I would bet someone at the matches that were posted earlier in the thread have the tools to change a barrel, and headspace it.
Before CMP sold out of the 308 Experts, pulled Expert 308 barrels would occasionally pop up on the CMP forums for sale.
You could try a WTB there and see if there are any floating around.
Someone had 308 Garand barrels in stock and for sale. but I don't remember where I found them.

Link Posted: 7/5/2022 9:30:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Please send me a link to wherever I can send it to get rebarreled for $300.  I thought about trying to send mine for the "expert" treatment at CMP (new wood, new barrel, refinished), and it would still be $600, IF they accept it for work, with no real timeline for completion.
I have thought about the Ultimak rail or RDS options for on down the line if/when my eyes begin to not work so well with irons anymore.

And typically I don't care about purists, but a Garand just seems different.  They're truly a magical rifle.
View Quote

Off by just a little. Fulton armory barrel with install $375
Plenty of others out there too

As suggested by a rack grade then get it rebarreled. Under a grand and of the 06 barrel is in d3cent shape can probably sell it quick for $200 so cuts cost of rebarrel to under $200
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 10:24:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Garand.

The m1a's gas system is not an improvement, it still has the same issues as the Garand (not that its a real issue anyways)

The M1 is a real American rifle, not a civilian copy, and is more durable

The M1a has a larger aftermarket, so if you want to try to modernize it, scope it, whatever, you can do it, but of all the .308 battle rifles, the M1a/M14 is still in last compared to an FAL, G3, or AR10
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 10:35:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Garand.

The m1a's gas system is not an improvement, it still has the same issues as the Garand (not that its a real issue anyways)

The M1 is a real American rifle, not a civilian copy, and is more durable

The M1a has a larger aftermarket, so if you want to try to modernize it, scope it, whatever, you can do it, but of all the .308 battle rifles, the M1a/M14 is still in last compared to an FAL, G3, or AR10
View Quote

Still has the best iron sights of any you listed. {M-14/M1A] Works very well for both right and left handers.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 10:37:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Still has the best iron sights of any you listed. {M-14/M1A] Works very well for both right and left handers.
View Quote

The sights were taken from the M1

If you want an iron sighted battle rifle, get the real thing
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 10:39:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a few including a Navy Trophy.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 10:42:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Having owned a number of both Garands and M1-A's I feel that the recoil impulses are different because of the different gas systems.  The Garand has more of a shove feel to the recoil, while the M1-A is a bit sharper.  Recoil isn't more powerful with the M1-A, it just feels different.

I will note that all my experience with these rifles is with full size rifles, not cut down ones.  And I have only owned 30-06 Garands.   Of the two, I prefer the recoil impulse of the Garand, but prefer the magazine capacity of the M1-A.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 10:44:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sweet! Fwiw that last part was a general statement, not aimed at you or anyone in particular
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 10:48:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Sweet! Fwiw that last part was a general statement, not aimed at you or anyone in particular
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know, mine was built by Charlie Frazier and still has the original navy barrel and the paint mark on the locking ring. [when I got it I wondered WTH that was all about.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 2:41:15 PM EDT
[#32]
I’ve owned or still own M1 Garands in .30-06 and .308, M1As, a BM-59, Mini 14s in the 180, 184, and 187 series, and a few M1 carbines.

For casual shooting, I prefer the BM-59.  The tri compensator is very effective as a muzzle brake and between the compensator and the long stroke gas system it’s a slightly softer shooter than either the M1A or M1 Garand.

In terms of accuracy, a Match grade M1A is thought to beat.  

Link Posted: 7/6/2022 3:49:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Looks like Criteron may get 308 barrels back in stock this month.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Criterion-Garand-barrels-/5-2567064/
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 4:36:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
308 garands are awesome.
View Quote

Getting one is never a wrong decision.

If the lefty assholes ever succeed in banning magazine-fed semi-autos, your .308 M1 will likely still be 50-states legal.  So there's exactly ZERO downside in owning one.

And that's aside from the advantage of sourcing .308/7.62 M1 over the more traditional 30.06 chambering. It's just easier to find the 147-150grn surplus or commercial-equivalent ammo, and 99.9% of it is "Garand-safe."
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 10:44:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Always wanted a M1, picked up a Walnut M1A… I love it! So much that I picked up a loaded 6.5 Creed model also!

PS: magazine fed makes it more viable IMHO
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 9:53:09 AM EDT
[#36]
As was stated, the Garand will probably never be declared a "assault weapon". For those who live in states with 10 rd limits having a fixed 8 rd magazine is not a real hinderence.  The real advantage of the M14/M1A platform is its ability to be easily scoped.  I have both.

Here are my self built 308 Garands.  Full sized and "Tanker".

Link Posted: 7/8/2022 11:12:11 AM EDT
[#37]
My two cents owning both.....

Grand pluses

hangs better in offhand
classic .30-06 is the actual rifle as it was issued (only real change was the rear sight)
softer recoil in my opinion
reloads are lightning fast with en blocs as it self ejects the empty
lay lower in prone without the box mag of the M14. (nice on a two way range with incoming)

Garand minuses

It’s long and heavy which is also why it has some pluses
8 round limited
heavier ammo

M14 pluses

Lighter
a touch shorter
has a system for scoping ( it could be better!)
box magazine of 20 rounds (or more for other off brands)
ammo weighs less but uncle sam merely gave you more of it

minuses

lighter barrel (usually)
overweight butt pad with flip up shoulder rest (I used to think it was cool but it is nearly never used)
box mag protrudes keeping the shooter from being one with the dirt in shooting position
the reciever isn’t the real deal for most of us, so you aren’t really holding on to as much history as that garand

I have all the US makers of Garands and they all are just as reliable but the H&Rs are just super well made as are the late post war Springfields. I have M14 patterns too, NM barrel loaded in a McM stock with a Leupold mount which shoots ok but isn’t as consistent as a good bolt gun on paper.   Despite the scope, the cheek piece, the barrel shimming, the bedding, etc,  I have another in USGI as issued trim with Winchester parts.  It isn’t far from the NM barrel.  It is old chrome lined so I doubt it will hold up like a criterion or a stainless barrel.  But it is a Winchester.  Third one is a criterion 18” with a GI glass stock.  I should set it up to take a deer or two.   It is a handy gun.  Might remove the flip up butt plate too to shed some weight.  I have extra GI stocks that I could easily fill in the butt area and reconfigure for a garand butt plate like the earliest M14 prototypes. Hmmm

My vote for history get a Garand (preferably in 06 but you do what you like, 7.62mm is good)

For modifying.... the M14 pattern, it’s a clone so no foul being different.   I wouldn’t go shorter than 18” iif you don’t like excessive muzzle blast.  Everybody is different though.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 2:13:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Sometimes it takes some hunting to find a standard weight 308 barrel.

Many are medium heavy barrels and they are more common, so if you don't want a match heavy Garand, make sure the barrel is standard weight.

The standard weight Garand is still going to be heavier than a standard weight M1A, so it will still have plenty of weight.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 7:43:44 AM EDT
[#39]
I think I'm going to convert my Garand to .308.  That way I'll have at least the tangential link to history, and it's something I've kinda wanted to do for a while.  Plus it means I'll shoot more of what I own, with the side bonus that it's cheaper to refurbish my existing rifle than to purchase a new one.

But now I also want to find some poor plugged drill rifle and then turn it into one of Shuff's Mini-G's as linked to above
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 10:24:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
minuses

lighter barrel (usually)
overweight butt pad with flip up shoulder rest (I used to think it was cool but it is nearly never used)
box mag protrudes keeping the shooter from being one with the dirt in shooting position
the reciever isn’t the real deal for most of us, so you aren’t really holding on to as much history as that garand
View Quote

You can modify the rubber recoil pad available for the M14 stock so a Garand buttplate will fit. Here's a pic of my first attempt. I did some minor trimming and it fits better now.
OR
You can get M14 style stocks cut of the Garand buttplate.  Dupage Trading often has them.

Link Posted: 7/15/2022 11:39:46 AM EDT
[#41]
I still need to scrounge up a decent scope and mount for one of my 4 digit NM M1A's. Old eyes are getting old.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 1:16:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You can modify the rubber recoil pad available for the M14 stock so a Garand buttplate will fit. Here's a pic of my first attempt. I did some minor trimming and it fits better now.
OR
You can get M14 style stocks cut of the Garand buttplate.  Dupage Trading often has them.

https://i.imgur.com/d4VHoQQ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/7uZxExd.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
minuses

lighter barrel (usually)

OR

https://i.imgur.com/d4VHoQQ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/7uZxExd.jpg

Nice!

Good tip.

Link Posted: 7/15/2022 1:20:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I think I'm going to convert my Garand to .308.  That way I'll have at least the tangential link to history, and it's something I've kinda wanted to do for a while.  Plus it means I'll shoot more of what I own, with the side bonus that it's cheaper to refurbish my existing rifle than to purchase a new one.

But now I also want to find some poor plugged drill rifle and then turn it into one of Shuff's Mini-G's as linked to above
View Quote

The Navy had 7.62 nato garands.  They re used 06s with new barrels.  A former co worker has one he won in a Navy Match while in.  I Cannot recall if he won the .308 Navy trophy rifle with a match garand or a match M14.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 10:24:58 PM EDT
[#44]
I have both of what you're thinking about - a fantastic M1 in .308 from CMP, that I snagged about 10 years ago for a grand.  New barrel, new stock, looks brand new, with a 1944 receiver.  A true classic.

Then 5-6 years ago, bought an M1A SOCOM, which I debated a long time buying.  I finally bought it from PSA, who was having a deal of 1200 bucks shipped with 3 mags and a scope mount.  Figured I could always sell it for that much, but fired it and really like it.  I put a Sig Romeo 5 on the scope mount, and it's an accurate, handy shooter with full .308 power.  Some don't like the muzzle blast with the brake, but I plug and muff so I'm pretty immune to it.

They're different rifles and set ups, regardless of how similar the actions and stocks are.  The Garand is a full size battle rifle with a 22 inch barrel, and is heavy enough to club your way to Berlin.  It's a classic rifle, a piece of history that looks as good as it shoots.  Personally, the .308 version I've always thought is the best version, with cheaper ammo (but don't use steel), and it's my understanding that with the lower power .308 compared to 30/06, you can use about any ammo without issues, while there's a whole purse swinging debate about what 30/06 ammo is safe and what's supposed to turn your op rod into a pretzel.

The SOCOM isn't a classic look, and some find it a bit ugly, but I like it.  It's short, light feeling for a .308, nice and slender compared to a very tall AR10 patter with it's upper and lower sections.  It's a more practical rifle compared to a Garand, but doesn't have the look.  

So for a what to buy - maybe decide if you want a practical rifle that you can use for a lot of things and don't mind scratches and dings, or if you want the classic aspect of the Garand and the history of the rifle.  Both will be fun to own and shoot.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 11:17:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Email Orion 7 for a quote on rebarreling if you supply the barrel, action and bolt their turnaround is pretty quick. Not that expensive to install and chamber.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 8:43:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Email Orion 7 for a quote on rebarreling if you supply the barrel, action and bolt their turnaround is pretty quick. Not that expensive to install and chamber.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I already bought the barrel from the place I'm going to send it to for the work.  They offer parkerizing, so I figured I'd get that done while it's there.  And if the metal looks new, the current stock looks shitty, so I went ahead and ordered a boiled linseed oil stock with fittings from Fulton Armory.

If I'm gonna do this, I'm gonna do it right.  At least that's what I'm telling my wallet
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 9:56:28 AM EDT
[#47]
I have almost accumulated all the parts that need replacing/installation for when I send it to the 'smith.  Here is a "before" image, with a stock that is much worse for wear when it went to the Greeks:

The parts of the Fulton stock I can get on by myself look great, but I'm going to wait to post images of that until after it gets back.  I'm hoping it'll fit/work just fine when it's all said and done, but if it needs fitting anywhere the 'smith will know more about what needs doing than I will.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 7:46:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I have almost accumulated all the parts that need replacing/installation for when I send it to the 'smith.  Here is a "before" image, with a stock that is much worse for wear when it went to the Greeks:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/129976/53AEB7BE-5FDE-4EF9-B06D-88E311A194B3-2465211.jpg

The parts of the Fulton stock I can get on by myself look great, but I'm going to wait to post images of that until after it gets back.  I'm hoping it'll fit/work just fine when it's all said and done, but if it needs fitting anywhere the 'smith will know more about what needs doing than I will.
View Quote

Sounds like a plan. I’ve got two .308 M1s and one .308 Mini-G, built by Tim @ Shuff’s Parkerizing.

One of the .308 M1s I bought from the CMP back in 2012 or so, but the other was someone’s old Blue Sky beater that had a shot-out 30-06 barrel. I “rescued” that one from a LGS and sent it off to Schuff’s for Tim to re-barrel with a .308 Criterion. Tim’s turn-around time then was about 60-days. It shoots great too, maybe my best shooter.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 9:02:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Sounds like a plan. I've got two .308 M1s and one .308 Mini-G, built by Tim @ Shuff's Parkerizing.

One of the .308 M1s I bought from the CMP back in 2012 or so, but the other was someone's old Blue Sky beater that had a shot-out 30-06 barrel. I "rescued" that one from a LGS and sent it off to Schuff's for Tim to re-barrel with a .308 Criterion. Tim's turn-around time then was about 60-days. It shoots great too, maybe my best shooter.
View Quote

After being made aware of the Mini-G due to this thread, I've definitely been hoping to run across an old abused M1 that I can rescue for relatively cheap and do the same thing
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 8:05:42 PM EDT
[#50]
i love my M1 garand in 308. and as a navy man. i say they are true garands since the navy converted their M1s from 30\06 to 308.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top