Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/6/2018 11:40:54 PM EDT
I have read so many articles and forum topics on the subject and I end up with a different conclusion after reading each one.

The majority of the use will be for pigs at a range of less than 100 yards. I have a hand held FLIR Scout II, so I was thinking about a PVS-14 White Phosphor with weapons kit from TNVC. However, after reading more about the PVS-14, I see that there are better recommendations for ranges less than 100 yards (mainly thermal scopes).

I was wanting to stay around $3500. When spending this kind of money any guidance would be much appreciated!
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 12:36:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Thermal for hunting for sure. Especially if you can get to where you hunt without having dangerous conditions. For your price range either new Flir Pts233 or Pulsar trail line. Used XP trails can be had pretty regular for 3500.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 1:24:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you have any interest in using NV outside of hunting?  I.E., preparedness?  If so, I'd suggest NV since you already have a thermal spotter to detect.

If you have no interest in using NV outside of hunting, I'd suggest thermal.

What will be your typical engagement distance?
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 3:04:47 AM EDT
[#3]
For distances 100 and in a Pulsar RXQ30V or Flir PTS233 are great thermals to look at. If you want to shoot out to 200 a Pulsar XQ38 Apex for @ 2500 is a great scope for more options and more money the XQ38 Trail. If you need to PID your game buy a PVS14 to spot with and sell the Scout.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 1:49:24 PM EDT
[#4]
How thick is the cover?  Heavy cover favors thermal by a yuge margin.  Blind hunting?  Stalk hunting? Hunting alone? One shot and done or eradication with multiple shots?

Hunting from a blind - Thermal.  End of story.

I really like the pulsar controls on the apex/trail models better than the buttons on the FLIR stuff, but that is personal opinion.  On the FLIR, -I- always seem to wind up with a funky color scheme, taking a photo, turning on then off the recording, changing the crosshair, and some other stuff when a shot presents itself when all I was trying to do was switch from white hot to black hot.  Again, if you are a better/more dexterous, you may like the FLIR buttons.  The Pulsar apex will save coin over the Trail for other stuff if you can live without recording and battery swapping, but I would recommend a battery pack for longer hunts.

Stalk hunting - Combo the scout with a helmet mounted PVS-14 and IR laser on the gun.  Follow up shots are more difficult, but do not underestimate the fun of stalk hunting in the dark.  A cheap IR laser will get you going, and can be placed on an upgraded thermal scope later to help anyone else with night vision see exactly what you have spotted.

I would not weapon mount a PVS-14.  I know many people have done it with great success; but things like that just don't work out for me.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 2:10:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Simplistic way of looking at it, but thermal is absolutely the most useful for detecting whatever is out and about. Depending on the thermal unit and time behind it, you can identify things as well to a certain degree. Night vision is nice to have bc if you are unsure of what you're looking at with thermal, it will help clear things up as far as PID. I'm sure this is considered "beating a dead horse", as this shit has already been covered several hundred times. So in conclusion, I would find it hard to have one without the other since they compliment each other pretty well. I started off with a PVS-30 and then got a PTS233 and that combo has been pretty badass.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 10:02:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the insight and suggestions!

Going to check on those thermals.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top