Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2022 5:53:28 PM EDT
I want a rifle in .17 hmr but I’m not sure which one to get. I’m looking at the Ruger american and the Ruger precision. Are they basically the same rifle?
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 6:04:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I remember when the cartridge just came out and I bought a Savage bolt in that caliber. I was super surprised at the dime size groups I was getting off the bench at 100 yards. I killed a lot of prairie dogs with it. Compared to .22 mag which my son was shooting, I would kill some pretty big p dogs and some times I couldn't find an entry wound or exit would. The bullet blew up inside. Long story short don't rule out Savage unless you got a bigger budget to spend.

Happy shooting with what ever you end up with.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 6:19:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Savage 93
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 7:03:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I recently picked up a like new CZ 455 that had both the .17 and .22 barrels. I only have a couple dozen rounds through it but am extremely impressed with the rifle. I believe it successor is the 457 Varmint.

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-457-varmint/
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 7:10:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Savage bolt action with accutrigger.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 7:43:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the ruger American it will shoot squirrels head all day long.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 8:18:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I have two Thompson Center Contender frames, so I picked up a 20” bull barrel and put an old Weaver 4 power I had on it.

On sand bags at 100 yds it is amazing!!  I’ve only had it to the range once, I’ve yet to hunt with it, but a friend swears by it for ‘yotes.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 9:45:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the suggestions. I was just checking out the savage 93’s. They come in a couple different barrel options, 21” and 16.25”. Will the extra length be more accurate?
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 3:06:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Any Savage model with heavy barrel and NOT the F stock (ie, no FV)

Local pawn had a nice BV a few weeks ago that was very tempting to me, but I held off and looked up current cost of ammo.  $23/box for non-reloadable ain't happenin for me...

Link Posted: 5/9/2022 5:20:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any Savage model with heavy barrel and NOT the F stock (ie, no FV)

Local pawn had a nice BV a few weeks ago that was very tempting to me, but I held off and looked up current cost of ammo.  $23/box for non-reloadable ain't happenin for me...

View Quote

What’s going on with the FV stocks? On grabagun the wood stocks aren’t much more than the synthetic stocks and they look better. It doesn’t say what kind of wood it is though, it just says “Monte Carlo hardwood stock”

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:48:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Savage 93
View Quote

I'm left handed, so my two .17HMR rifles are a Savage 93R GVL and a CZ 452 American. Both are scoped with 4-14 X 44 variable rimfire scopes.
Gary
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:34:55 AM EDT
[#11]
I picked up a CZ 453 American in 17 HMR.  The fluted barrel, single-set trigger, nice wood stock.  Shoots like a dream and is a favorite gun of mine.

I spent a fair amount on the optics.  In fact get the best you can afford is my recommendation.

Good luck finding one.  Just here to brag actually.  :-)

Link Posted: 5/18/2022 12:02:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Tikka T1X or Cz.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 1:11:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 4:55:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

What’s going on with the FV stocks? On grabagun the wood stocks aren’t much more than the synthetic stocks and they look better. It doesn’t say what kind of wood it is though, it just says “Monte Carlo hardwood stock”

View Quote

The fore end is very flexy, so shooting from a front rest or bipod causes issues.  Lots of folks have tried various things to stiffen them up - I say just don't bother and go with one of the laminate or wood offerings.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 1:41:00 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

Local ammo price around here is $17ish a box of 50.  I can live with that.  Plus mine is a single shot.  You know how long it takes to blast through 50 rounds in a single shot?
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 7:23:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The fore end is very flexy, so shooting from a front rest or bipod causes issues.  Lots of folks have tried various things to stiffen them up - I say just don't bother and go with one of the laminate or wood offerings.
View Quote

I went with the wood stock and picked it up yesterday. The stock looks good and the trigger is real nice. I don’t know how many pounds it is but it’s already set pretty light.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:59:43 PM EDT
[#17]
I have the savage 93 as well with a Vortex scope. Excellent critter gitter.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:06:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 8:54:59 PM EDT
[#19]
My 93 is basically a single shot. None of the mags I have work worth a damn. Wouldn’t consider it a tack driver.

17HMR does an excellent job on groundhogs for me. My 93 likes the 17gr VMAX. Tried a bunch of other ammo and none grouped better than 1.5moa, many pushing 2moa. The worst offenders would be better suited to larger game like coyote, being JSP and FMJ.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:22:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Whatever CZ floats your boat. My 455 Varmint with the single set trigger is awesome. I am so happy with it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 9:24:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 9:34:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Savage builds a very accurate rifle, but cuts corners on everything else. The stocks are usually terrible (laminate ones are OK) the magazines are shoddy at best, and the rest of the gun feels cheap in general. Nothing against them, but I'd rather spend a little more and get a CZ which is significantly nicer. This is coming from somebody who used to own a Savage .17HMR and sold it to get into a CZ because the Savage was so disappointing quality wise, no regrets.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 12:26:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Savage builds a very accurate rifle, but cuts corners on everything else. The stocks are usually terrible (laminate ones are OK) the magazines are shoddy at best, and the rest of the gun feels cheap in general. Nothing against them, but I'd rather spend a little more and get a CZ which is significantly nicer. This is coming from somebody who used to own a Savage .17HMR and sold it to get into a CZ because the Savage was so disappointing quality wise, no regrets.
View Quote

I haven’t shot it yet, but the cheap feel is my only complaints so far. The bolt and the safety feels cheap. It wasn’t very expensive so I wasn’t expecting top of the line quality.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 11:42:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I haven’t shot it yet, but the cheap feel is my only complaints so far. The bolt and the safety feels cheap. It wasn’t very expensive so I wasn’t expecting top of the line quality.
View Quote

It's a compromise to get them to the price point they sell at. Make no mistake, they are just as accurate as something more expensive (like CZ) they just have to cheapen them somewhere. The magazine issues are what pushed me over the edge to get rid of mine. Hope yours treats you well!
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 5:57:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Something is amiss. I've owned four or five of the Savage 93's over the years

and all of them were tack drivers.
View Quote

It does roughly a minute with the commonly available and reasonably priced Hornady 17gr loads.

I got a box of some other brand using the same bullet, but haven’t had time to test it yet. IIRC it’s CCI or Federal. Both of those brands were disappointing with their own branded bullets.

I bought stock in the H loads, and shoot maybe a box/yr, so it’s no big deal for “now” to get a box whenever they show up in stores or if I can add them on to another order. Just annoying that nothing else really does well.

I don’t think the rifle has a manufacturing defect. Crown looks good, chambers/fires/extracts fine. When I first bought it, I mounted up the scope and did an eyeball boresight. It was only about 8 clicks off when I went to live fire. So you could say that it “shoots straight” too.

The magazine seems to sit too low so the bullet tips smash into the breech face. One might say the magazines don’t present the rounds very well either. Maybe the spring is too weak. They tend to nose dive while feeding, but seem to be angled well when fully seated in the mag.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top