Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2024 2:09:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: schleutj]
Looking at getting a new thermal.  Like the idea of helmet mounting.  Budget is around these three.   Have read a lot and there is a lot of information on the 640 series but not on the 320-384 ones.   I did find several videos on the M19 but everything compares to the Breach.   There is nowhere close to go look at this stuff.  Thoughts?
VP
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 2:28:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 2:36:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I have seen that, but it is  out of my budget.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 2:44:45 PM EDT
[#3]
My spare unit is a breach, and its ok. U can definately detect several hundred yards away, but imo U would need something better to know what ur shooting at.

My main unit is a 640 sidekick, with that I'm making the ID at the same yardage the breach would struggle to even detect.

So IMO unless a certian unit has a feature you specifically want, get something with the highest resolution U can. Of course the #1 answer is to just save up for a 640, but if u need something now...that's my advice.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 4:45:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC_Will] [#4]
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 6:29:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I’ll send you a message. I have an mh25 I’m going to be listing for sale. You can get 640 performance for slightly more than a 384 price.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 9:58:38 AM EDT
[#6]
@KentuckyWindage

Still liking your sidekick320?  
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 10:34:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Sting IR 384 or 640. Darq and Goblin Tactical have them on sale currently. More versatility if you ever wanted to run it as a clip on or a dedicated site down the road.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 10:23:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TNVC_Will:

Something to consider (if it matters to you) is that unlike the others which use a Chinese PRC thermal core, the Sidekick's ArmaCore TM is developed at Armasight's facility in Arizona. This is exceptionally rare today and especially at this price point!
View Quote

Not being a smart ass but your own video shows how awfully grainy, blurry, choppy and just plain horrible the image quality is on the armasight.

To my eyes, the Chinese cores,  even at 384, look so much better than this 640 from armasight. I honestly couldn't believe how awful it looked for being a 640 core. It's supposed to be a 60hz refresh rate too but to my eyes it looks choppy and slow.

In my opinion, the only thing the armasight does well is having the movable screen image to better overlay with your pvs14.

It stinks too that you can't use the armasight as a clip on, like many others.

For me, the armasight 640 seems expensive for sub par image quality that can't even fill in as a clip on from time to time if needed.

Again, this is just my stupid opinion based on YouTube videos.  I personally only own an agm rattler 384 clip on and an agm 10-256 monocular so my experience is very limited.  I really wanted these 320/640 armasights to be something awesome but for me, they look to have fallen short of my hopes.

Link Posted: 2/20/2024 12:56:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Magsz18] [#9]
Originally Posted By carholio:

Not being a smart ass but your own video shows how awfully grainy, blurry, choppy and just plain horrible the image quality is on the armasight.

To my eyes, the Chinese cores,  even at 384, look so much better than this 640 from armasight. I honestly couldn't believe how awful it looked for being a 640 core. It's supposed to be a 60hz refresh rate too but to my eyes it looks choppy and slow.

In my opinion, the only thing the armasight does well is having the movable screen image to better overlay with your pvs14.

It stinks too that you can't use the armasight as a clip on, like many others.

For me, the armasight 640 seems expensive for sub par image quality that can't even fill in as a clip on from time to time if needed.

Again, this is just my stupid opinion based on YouTube videos.  I personally only own an agm rattler 384 clip on and an agm 10-256 monocular so my experience is very limited.  I really wanted these 320/640 armasights to be something awesome but for me, they look to have fallen short of my hopes.

View Quote

I'm not Will and I have NO experience with these units BUT.

There may be an issue with degradation of the image after converting it into a video file and then uploading it to Youtube.  Other's with first hand experience can confirm or deny this.

I do know that what I see through my thermals in actual use does not necessarily mirror what I've seen on youtube when I was researching these units.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 12:04:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 12:31:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 2:18:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Im with you on this.  I wanted these to be a success so bad, but the lack of clip-on ability, and image quality is holding me from purchasing...
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 6:20:53 PM EDT
[#13]
This kind of feels like one of those "gotcha" attempts

I'll be the first to say that the Sidekick is not going to be "the" thermal for everyone and I said so in the YouTube video along with stating the limitations I experienced.

As stated above, there is a reduction in quality when processing a video of a video as well as the onboard video is not fully representative. However, I feel my video represents what the typical user who doesn't mess with the menu settings can expect. It is possible to improve the image (watch the thermalboi YouTube video).

What makes for a "good" thermal monocular has been debated on this forum before and like most things the answers lean heavily on subjectiveness and are specific to the individual's use-case, terrain, etc.

What I personally value in a thermal monocular is a wide FOV, reliable detection & recognition of K9 sized animals & larger (especially humans) within practical distances for a 1x native magnification in my environment (sub 300 yards, mostly less than 100 yards), ruggedness, compactness, and being non-PRC derived.

The Sidekick checks all of those boxes.
View Quote

It really is a shame that these days, everyone, myself included , feels the internet is full of people trying to "gotcha".

I was just stating my case / opinion that while it is cool that the cores are made in the USA, I feel they have a lot of catching up to do. Are there standards to meet a 256, 384, 640 core specification / quality?

Anyhow no gotcha attempt on my end. I'm thrilled you put out videos. I'd never be able to view all these gadgets without youtube and I sure as heck can't afford to buy them all to try.

I'm glad to hear there are software updates that make the image quality look better.  I'm still deciding what I want - a helmet mounted device or I higher quality hand held than my current 10-256.

Like I said,  I had high hopes for these only to be let down and I came here to vent my frustration.

Link Posted: 2/20/2024 9:31:18 PM EDT
[#14]

It really is a shame that these days, everyone, myself included , feels the internet is full of people trying to "gotcha".

I was just stating my case / opinion that while it is cool that the cores are made in the USA, I feel they have a lot of catching up to do. Are there standards to meet a 256, 384, 640 core specification / quality?

Anyhow no gotcha attempt on my end. I'm thrilled you put out videos. I'd never be able to view all these gadgets without youtube and I sure as heck can't afford to buy them all to try.

I'm glad to hear there are software updates that make the image quality look better.  I'm still deciding what I want - a helmet mounted device or I higher quality hand held than my current 10-256.

Like I said,  I had high hopes for these only to be let down and I came here to vent my frustration.

View Quote

Did you get to try an armasight sidekick 320?  Or were you just disappointed in the video you have seen?   I have found very little on the 320.   There is a lots on the 640.  I too have had a 10-256 my brother has it now.  Had an ATN ots320 2-4 or 3-6 can’t  remeber and I owned a pulsar RX30Q scope.  

I have never been disappointed by what I have had but there was always something wrong with fit or function that I didn’t like.  I did like the 10-256 but my brother was really interested in it.   The local shop had a 25-384 Taipan that I had a quick sec to look through but didn’t have a lot of time and when I made it back it had sold.   That looked nice and I may consider something like that.   But these new little sidekick type units interest me.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 8:38:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By schleutj:

@KentuckyWindage

Still liking your sidekick320?  
View Quote

Yes Sir, I really enjoy it.  Best purchase I have made in a while.  Sorry for the shit pic.  
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 8:00:11 PM EDT
[#16]
What about the new Rix ST6? Only $500 more than an ml19, 640 core. I don't know anything about it but it appears to be a compelling option.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 9:23:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -KentuckyWindage-] [#17]
Quick video of the 320, looks better on my eyepiece than on YouTube
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 9:25:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Did you get to try an armasight sidekick 320?  Or were you just disappointed in the video you have seen?   I have found very little on the 320.   There is a lots on the 640.  I too have had a 10-256 my brother has it now.  Had an ATN ots320 2-4 or 3-6 can’t  remeber and I owned a pulsar RX30Q scope.  

I have never been disappointed by what I have had but there was always something wrong with fit or function that I didn’t like.  I did like the 10-256 but my brother was really interested in it.   The local shop had a 25-384 Taipan that I had a quick sec to look through but didn’t have a lot of time and when I made it back it had sold.   That looked nice and I may consider something like that.   But these new little sidekick type units interest me.
View Quote

No, I have not tried any. Only reference is youtube videos. There does seem to be more and more 320 videos hitting youtube but I have a hard time trusting the early ones because I feel most are just shilling the product that they were given for free.  To me, the early ones are just paid for infomercials.

The 640 armasight videos I've watched look to have a worse image quality than my 384. So the 320 must be pretty bad.

Good luck with your quest to find the right choice for your needs.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 9:28:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By -KentuckyWindage-:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJB4QV-iZwk
View Quote

Now that's funny. Your 320 video looks to have a better image than the 640 video nightwalker posted. Is that video from the units recorder or is that from a camera through the thermal?

Link Posted: 2/23/2024 9:31:22 PM EDT
[#20]

Now that's funny. Your 320 video looks to have a better image than the 640 video nightwalker posted. Is that video from the units recorder or is that from a camera through the thermal?

View Quote

Interesting, it’s from my recorder.  I still have to flip the image every time I pull pictures or video off.  I really hope they fix that on the upcoming firmware update.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 9:36:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNVC_Will] [#21]
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 9:49:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -KentuckyWindage-] [#22]
This video clip is one I also used in the overview video. I don’t think it looks “grainy”?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6UjSZ2rWkc

This was shot with the default settings and through an older iPhone held up to the eyepiece so there is some blurriness on the outside.

I have used a 320 (no time for a video) and it looks the same as the 320 video above.

ETA: Kentucky, do you have it in “detect” mode? That may be the difference. Detect will make the black pop more
View Quote

Honestly I didnt know…,  yes, my preset was on “detect”.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 9:55:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 11:25:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By -KentuckyWindage-:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJB4QV-iZwk
View Quote

Thank you sir.  I find out what my bonus will be next week and am hoping it will be enough to cover a 320 with a ravin bridge.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:14:09 AM EDT
[#25]

Thank you sir.  I find out what my bonus will be next week and am hoping it will be enough to cover a 320 with a ravin bridge.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:37:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Lowdown3:
Look at the MH25 also.
View Quote

v.2 yes
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top