Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2018 5:34:18 PM EDT
I'm expecting my form 1 back in the next 2-4 weeks and I need to complete my parts list for ordering once it is approved. This is what I have. Can someone please let me know if any of these parts are substandard or incompatible.

I plan on using these 60degtee cones from https://totalityindustries.com/shop?olsPage=products%2F1355-60-degree-cone-grade-5-titanium-skirtless on a https://apogeeproducts.com/products/titanium.

To attach it to my rifle I'll be using a https://diversifiedmachine.us/product/griffin-adapter/. This is the part I could use any knowledge about compatibility with the tube and mount.

I didnt include my spacer material or end cap. If anyone could review the list and see if these parts will work out and if I need to add/alter things. I did it this way to save money since it is a form 1 build. I tried to balance qd feature etc and cost. I don't want to spend more on a form 1 than what I would have just buying one from a manufacturer.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 1:30:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Totality industries has good quality cones. On the GA thread adapter did you get the 20 tpi to fit the apogee tube since it is 20 tpi.

Apogee has ok tubes but check the threads and watch out for id consistencty. DM uses 24 tpi and has a sale going on now. You can get a select  7.5 titantium tube with 24 tpi that will have better threading for $5.00 more than the apogee.

What Caliber and length of barrel is your host. Which GA muzzle device are you going to use. Have you planned out the cone spacing and are you planning on clipping the cones? How many and what material cones are you planning on.

The apogee tube will not perform well on a 308 and ok on a 556. The longer dm tube will perform better if laid out correctly. You'll probably want 2 ss cones and 5 ti  for the dm tube.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 10:48:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Totality industries has good quality cones. On the GA thread adapter did you get the 20 tpi to fit the apogee tube since it is 20 tpi.

Apogee has ok tubes but check the threads and watch out for id consistencty. DM uses 24 tpi and has a sale going on now. You can get a select  7.5 titantium tube with 24 tpi that will have better threading for $5.00 more than the apogee.

What Caliber and length of barrel is your host. Which GA muzzle device are you going to use. Have you planned out the cone spacing and are you planning on clipping the cones? How many and what material cones are you planning on.

The apogee tube will not perform well on a 308 and ok on a 556. The longer dm tube will perform better if laid out correctly. You'll probably want 2 ss cones and 5 ti  for the dm tube.
View Quote
I haven't purchased any of the suppressor parts. The flash hider is a Griffin Armament is Griffin Armament Flash Comp taper mount Flash hider. It resembles the A2 flash hider. I don't know the thread pitch on it. I only know that it is suppose to fit the DM taper mount adapter for their 1.5" tubes.

That's where I wasn't sure which thread pitch to get (20 or 24 tpi) to fit the apogee tube, if it would even thread into the apogee tube. I emailed apogee and haven't heard back yet.

The rifle will be a 10.3" upper in 5.56. I also haven't worked out baffle spacing. I don't know what spacing is optimal. I really want to balance performance and cost seeing as this is a form 1.

I don't expect production quality. But I don't want to waste money either. I could really use input on the compatibility of the mount and apogee tube and suggestions on the expansion chamber length and the baffle spacing.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 12:04:03 AM EDT
[#3]
A 6" tube will just take the edge off a 556 on a 10.3" barrel. There will be unburned powder igniting in the can so It will still ring your ears. You will be sandblasting your blast baffles on every shot so I suggest using 3 ss 17-4 heat treated to h900..

The apogee tube is 20 tpi so you will need to get the ga taper thread adapter 20 tpi also.  You made a good choice in using the ga taper mount system. I suggest having your plans done before you buy any parts. It frequently happens that someone buys parts then learn they would rather go a different way.

With regards to the rest of your build I suggest going to form1suppressors.com and  read the tutorial that is a sticky in the quiet room  and/or go to form1suppressor.boards.net the tutorial is there also in the form 1 forum. There are many drawings of many cans how to's on best practices.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 8:54:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:A 6" tube will just take the edge off a 556 on a 10.3" barrel. There will be unburned powder igniting in the can so It will still ring your ears.
View Quote
I can't agree w/ this statement. Everyone that has fired or witnessed my, effectively, 6" design are very impressed. My ears are bothered by HV 22lr and the 5.56mm can doesn't pose a problem. Very doable.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 9:01:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I can't agree w/ this statement. Everyone that has fired or witnessed my, effectively, 6" design are very impressed. My ears are bothered by HV 22lr and the 5.56mm can doesn't pose a problem. Very doable.
View Quote
Yep, my Gemtech Trek is one of them, only has 4 baffles.
Griffin Spartan 3 is another good one.

Spec. of Trek:

Caliber: 5.56mm NATO / .223

Sound Reduction: 29 dB

Length: 5.7"

Diameter: 1.5"

Weight: 17.3 oz.

Materials: Stainless Steel & Inconel

Finish: Matte Black Cerakote with Reduced Visual-IR Signature

Mount: 1/2-28 (2A) Thread Mount

For Barrels: 10.3" or Longer
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 10:52:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
LOL, I'm not buying what you are selling either.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 10:57:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yep, my Gemtech Trek is one of them, only has 4 baffles.
Griffin Spartan 3 is another good one.

Spec. of Trek:

Caliber: 5.56mm NATO / .223

Sound Reduction: 29 dB

Length: 5.7"

Diameter: 1.5"

Weight: 17.3 oz.

Materials: Stainless Steel & Inconel

Finish: Matte Black Cerakote with Reduced Visual-IR Signature

Mount: 1/2-28 (2A) Thread Mount

For Barrels: 10.3" or Longer
View Quote
I own the GA Recce 7 and 5, both are excellent suppressors. Both ring my ears on a 10.3 556 using standard factory loaded ammo. They are really good though on sub sonic ammo loads though.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 10:48:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:LOL, I'm not buying what you are selling either.
View Quote
Here are the plans. Feel free to give it a go. My designs are freeware, for all to use.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 10:29:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Here are the plans. Feel free to give it a go. My designs are freeware, for all to use.
View Quote
I glad to hear you are happy with your can. When I designed the DHC I also put it in the public domain so anyone can use it and everyone could have fun with it. You obviously put it to good use.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top